Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP/NoAP Marking Cars in Adjacent Lanes as "active"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current stats: 2017 MS 75D, AP2.5, MCU1 v9.2018.48.12.1 (problem happening since V9 honestly)

Driving in bay area commute traffic, I680S near the Mission Blvd 680/880 crossover. In this stretch of freeway, when on EAP/NoAP, my car will start slowing down or suddenly breaking when there is no car in front of me, but there are cars to my right (will explain this below). It is very reproducible and happens on my daily commute in this same stretch of highway.

It took me a while to figure out what was happening. The first several times, it startled the sh** out of me! Out of fear of being rear-ended or break checking the car behind me, I have been disabling EAP and driving manually when this occurs.

Recently I noticed that when this issue occurs, my driver console shows cars in adjacent lanes marked as the “active” white car. I don’t know how to describe this better but when I say “active” I mean that the car is bright white vs. Dim. Usually the ‘active’ car is the car directly in front of me and EAP keeps its distance based on the 1-7 distance setting. Cars can also change from grey to white when someone changes lanes in front of you. The other car will go from grey to bright white about ½ way across the lane and then my car will react, i.e., slow down.

My car is marking cars as ‘active’ that are not changing lanes but just driving in adjacent lanes to me on my right. It happens suddenly during my commute in this stretch of highway. Meaning I can be driving next to another car (dim grey) and then all of a sudden, the adjacent car goes bright white and my car freaks out and breaks hard! In other cases, the breaking can happen subtly and slowly, leaving me wondering “why am I driving so slowly?!?”

In the console, the car is clearly depicted as being in the adjacent lane. Meaning that my Tesla see's the lines in the highway and the other car is positioned correctly in the adjacent lane. This is not a result of someone driving too close to me or being partially across lanes, etc. And there's no ghosting or jitters of the adjacent car. These other cars are firmly positioned in their lane and driving normally.

Has anyone else noticed this? I’ve tested this across all lanes except the very right (slow) lane. This has been happening since V9. I mostly use EAP but this happens on NoAP as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Hbrink