Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drought-friendly, in-garage portable pressure washer, Yard Force YF4050

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a full xpel wrap. I am afraid of damaging to the wrap.

I have a full XPEL job done and I use self-serve car wash bays all the time. I think there's a small concern if you apply constant pressure against the wrap edges where there's a chance of lifting that edge. If the paint film wraps around the edges (the better jobs are done this way), then there's less of a concern.

Although I haven't done any scientific measurements, the wash bay gun pressure doesn't seem all that different from the 1500 psi electric pressure washer I have at home. I haven't actually used my old pressure washer on my Model S, but it wasn't an issue at all on my old VW (no film on that though).

I have a full XPEL job done and I use self-serve car wash bays all the time. I think there's a small concern if you apply constant pressure against the wrap edges where there's a chance of lifting that edge. If the paint film wraps around the edges (the better jobs are done this way), then there's less of a concern.

Although I haven't done any scientific measurements, the wash bay gun pressure doesn't seem all that different from the 1500 psi electric pressure washer I have at home. I haven't actually used my old pressure washer on my Model S, but it wasn't an issue at all on my old VW (no film on that though).

I emailed xpel manufacturer regarding pressure washer and their response is that they don't recommend it. I talked to the xpel person that will be doing the wrap on my car and he said he does not recommend it because
it can damage the edge as well as disturb the glue underneath the wrap. But I think they are talking about the regular pressure washer which is around 1600 psi and higher. But if we use what commasign recommended
which is only 500 psi then that should be ok since he had done it. But anything more than that than I would be cautious.

- - - Updated - - -

I emailed xpel support in regard the use of powerwasher and they do not recommend it. I also talked to my expel installer that I plan to use and he said he does not recommend it
because it may damage/disturb the glue underneath as well as lift the edge. However, I think they are talking about the 1500 psi washer. If we use what commasign recommended
then there should be no problem since he already tried it.

I also emailed opti coat pro plus support and they said it is safe to use powerwash. So the xpel is the weakest link so be cautious when using pressure washer above 500 psi.

I emailed xpel support in regard the use of powerwasher and they do not recommend it. I also talked to my expel installer that I plan to use and he said he does not recommend it
because it may damage/disturb the glue underneath as well as lift the edge. However, I think they are talking about the 1500 psi washer. If we use what commasign recommended
then there should be no problem since he already tried it.

I also emailed opti coat pro plus support and they said it is safe to use powerwash. So the xpel is the weakest link so be cautious when using pressure washer above 500 psi.

Thanks! That's very helpful to know. I only use the red tip for spot blasting bugs and bird poop usually away from the edges. And if they are near the edges, it makes sense to angle the stream to avoid lifting up the edge of the wrap.

I suspect most people think of gas-powered pressure washers which I think tend to be more in the 2500 to 3000-psi range which is way too risky for my tastes. However, I'd be curious if XPEL support actually meant even 1500-psi levels as well. Anyone know how much pressure car wash bays typically provide?

I suspect most people think of gas-powered pressure washers which I think tend to be more in the 2500 to 3000-psi range which is way too risky for my tastes. However, I'd be curious if XPEL support actually meant even 1500-psi levels as well. Anyone know how much pressure car wash bays typically provide?
I don't have the answer, but the manual used to say use low pressure and hold the wand about one metre from the paint. This has worked fine for the three years Suntek has been on. I'm sure it will work for Xpel as well.

My wife bought me one as a Christmas gift but they were out of stock at the time. It was delivered yesterday, I set it up last night, and used it today. The thing is phenomenal -- very well set up. I'll have many uses for it beyond washing my Model S. The portability and light weight makes it very easy to use and move around.

My wife bought me one as a Christmas gift but they were out of stock at the time. It was delivered yesterday, I set it up last night, and used it today. The thing is phenomenal -- very well set up. I'll have many uses for it beyond washing my Model S. The portability and light weight makes it very easy to use and move around.

I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you're still using Glare Professional Polish or if you found something better.