Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gotta say: before I owned the car, I was skeptical of the lack of center console, but now I think it's great. It's clean, and has kept me from loading up the space ith crap. When I sold my old car and cleaned it out, I was amazed at all the crap I had hidden away in all the spaces, especially the side door pockets (I swear my wife would use the pockets as another closet).

I suppose if its cheap enough and looks good enough, I may impulse buy it one day when I'm bored, but I'm not sure even then....

I had exactly the same experience. I think the normal open plan space on the floor is great. It's far more flexible than a center console and because it is so large can be used for a multitude of different things. After 6 weeks of heavy practical use, I would consider a center console a downgrade in my car.

I find the adjustable Tesla center console very attractive and if it drops in I assume it comes out easily. On the whole I've learned to like the open space, but on long journeys the elbow cup-holders are just too impractical.

That said, the biggest glaring omission since day one has been the lack of storage and cup-holders in the rear. Kids and dehydration in hot climates is not a good mix.

My complaint was the original cupholder location in the armrests. Even when I have a drink on the passenger side of the armrest (starbucks coffee) I've knocked the lid loose/off a few times when I banged my elbow into the cup.

I totally agree with Nigel, the rear seats need cup holders, the prototype they had back at the original get AMPed tour looked great, I wish they would release that one.

That said, the biggest glaring omission since day one has been the lack of storage and cup-holders in the rear. Kids and dehydration in hot climates is not a good mix.

Hi Nigel,

I frankly don't understand why the hold up on releasing the rear storage and cup-holders that were unveiled during the GET AMPED event in June 2012. I saw it in person. It looked like a high quality and mature design ready for implementation. If it turns out to be easy to install and remove and reasonably priced I would be very interested in purchasing one.

Tesla Get Amped 034.JPG

Tesla Get Amped 035.JPG

Larry

They way I consider Tesla's business model is a bit more towards a "base" with "pluggable modules". Look at all the "official" aftermarket mods for the Roadster on the Tesla store. Do you know of any other auto manufacturer that continues to refine vehicles after they have been delivered? I don't.

Well, I am also one to voice my opinions without looking for political correctness. IMHO a vehicle should be refined enough from the start to not need aftermarket alterations at all. Of course anyone is free to change their cars the way they want to, but automakers should deliver vehicles that meet a certain standard.

Not delivering a car in the price region of the Model S with standards like usable fold-down rear center armrest or ample amount of hidden storage facilities is just a no-go. "Refining" said vehicle after delivery by charging for such items that should have come for free with the vehicle from the start is an even bigger no-go.

Nickel and diming? That's absolutely what Tesla is doing right now. Come on, even charging for a parcel shelf is laughable. Do you know of any other manufacturer that does that? I don't. Sure, they charge for lots of convenient things, but some are really standard. And what was that about the missing coat hangers...?

Well, I am also one to voice my opinions without looking for political correctness. IMHO a vehicle should be refined enough from the start to not need aftermarket alterations at all. Of course anyone is free to change their cars the way they want to, but automakers should deliver vehicles that meet a certain standard.

Not delivering a car in the price region of the Model S with standards like usable fold-down rear center armrest or ample amount of hidden storage facilities is just a no-go. "Refining" said vehicle after delivery by charging for such items that should have come for free with the vehicle from the start is an even bigger no-go.

Nickel and diming? That's absolutely what Tesla is doing right now. Come on, even charging for a parcel shelf is laughable. Do you know of any other manufacturer that does that? I don't. Sure, they charge for lots of convenient things, but some are really standard. And what was that about the missing coat hangers...?

Except there are many many people that think a console in the center of the car would be a horrible change. I keep looking at these things and thinking to myself "Who would want this taking up all their space?" All I want is a slightly larger lip, or door on the cubby so my blistex doesn't fall out all the time.

If I had a center console where would I put my Thai takeout food.

WP_20130403_013.jpg
WP_20130403_012.jpg

Just because something isn't the way you want it, and Tesla offers a solution for a price. Doesn't mean they are nickle and dimeing you. It could mean they want to appeal to a larger number of people.

"Where would I put my takeout" -- where you put it before (usually the passenger footwell)?

I've used my center console for that myself, but I'm not sure it would be a huge inconvenience NOT to have that open -- especially if I gained other usefulness... like usable cupholders for the drinks gotten in the drive-through.

"Where would I put my takeout" -- where you put it before (usually the passenger footwell)?

I've used my center console for that myself, but I'm not sure it would be a huge inconvenience NOT to have that open -- especially if I gained other usefulness... like usable cupholders for the drinks gotten in the drive-through.

But that Coconut milk in the sweet sticky rice always seemed to leak out when I did that! :mad:

Now my empty center rails caress the cheap polystyrene food containers like it was designed for it.

One more thumbs up for the console!

I originally liked the open space, but after a while, trying to use the cup holders that compete for armrest use is just too cloogy. I find the space otherwise hard to utilize, it's too open and close to my feet to feel comfortable having stuff roll around. Also, having nothing there means that if I put the seat back I have nothing comfortable to rest my leg against (i'm tall). hopefully the console insert will give me something to rest against and a place to put my drink while also allowing me to use the armrest. a place to conceal small valuables would be good, having it lock when the doors retract would be even better.

I would have to agree that it should have been included in the price of the car, I can see the value in making it removable, but charging for something that is generally standard feels petty to me.

I frankly don't understand why the hold up on releasing the rear storage and cup-holders that were unveiled during the GET AMPED event in June 2012. I saw it in person. It looked like a high quality and mature design ready for implementation. If it turns out to be easy to install and remove and reasonably priced I would be very interested in purchasing one.

I'm still dreaming about that one.....(sigh)

Well guys, I think there is some merit to the idea that Tesla is looking to get additional profit from add ons. Stuff like the net for the frunk and the floor mats stick out in my mind. At the same time I am of the opinion that I don't totally fault them. Being a new car company they have to cut corners and I am more then willing to pay for additional add-ons after the fact.

Now, I am ALSO of the opinion that the center of the car was always meant to be the way it is and that a center console was always meant to be left out. The fact that they are now selling one soon doesn't bother me because by design I REALLY enjoy the open space in the middle. That's right, not everyone hates it. :)

And dont forget performance plus package. I cant afford this now, but just wait a few years(hopefully this will stay an upgrade option). You also have the fix for the 40kW, upgradable with a quick payment to 60kWh(though a one time thing), the same with "sleeping" supercharger module for the 60kw.

Hopefully they continue this with larger batteries, power upgradrs etc. This is the reason i got the perf. Just in case more options like perf.plus which obvious need a perf.car. They should be able make New packages that make use the extra power when larger batteries become available.

Yes, previously I always put such stuff in the passenger footwell, and when I got the Tesla I thought, great, what a far superior design! I definitely don't understand the thing about concealed storage. Anything I want to conceal, I put where I've put it in every previous car I've ever owned; the glovebox.