Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivetrain 1.0, 1.5, 2.0... Specs? Plans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not absurd to expect the company's products to work as advertised.
... The lucky thing for Tesla in this case is the technicality that they can claim most sales they have made since the 3.9 claims were for 2009 (2010) - they were just not specific that they were not talking about their current product in their claims.

Thank you Graham. Exactly. Though, I would have to have a discussion with you on the "technicality" and "ethicality" of selling a car with one spec and delivering it years later with another spec obscuring the change in model year and delivery nuances. But it's worse than that.

People on these pages know these new numbers from personal conversations with Elon.

Remember the whole failed-transmission-now-a-single-gear-but-we-are-thrilled-to-tell-you-we-managed-to-keep-the-acceleration-the-same-with-only-a-loss-in-top-speed thing?
They threw that all out in a cost saving measure, all while continuing to publicly advertise the older faster numbers.

Acceleration 0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds

"Martin sez:
As far as I know, every production Tesla was made with 2400 mAh cells. These are the current “jelly bean” cells, and where the majority of the world’s production is. I am also pretty sure that the final range numbers as reported by Tesla were achieved with a pack that used 2400 mAh cells."

Perhaps not too important to know if 2200 mAh or 2400 mAh but I noticed this old article:
Electronic Design Welcome
...Battery packs consist of 11 identical groups of 621 lithium-ion cells (called sheets) connected in series and parallel. Each cell is 18 mm in diameter and 650 mm long with a nominal 3.6 V and a 2.2-A/hr rating. Each sheet produces 32.4 V (nominal). One sheet supplies voltage for the car's accessories, such as lights and power windows. The remaining 10 sheets provide 324 V for the motor...

Has the above been "debunked"? I think electronicdesign.com is rather reputable.
Maybe they redesigned it since then. I thought the ESS had a DC/DC converter, not a dedicated sheet for accesories. Also I think nominal pack voltage was 375V, not 324V. Perhaps they started with 2200mAh and switched to 2400mAh later.

Last edited:
12volt

12 volt still only comes from one sheet of the ESS. It does not take power from all. A good amount of debate has come from this section of the ess internal at tesla.

Tesla should have done an extra 12volt batt in the car but Martin did not want that at all. So the design is the way it is now. A hack.

(I do not nor have I ever worked for Tesla)

Last edited:
I thought the 12V is produced by the 400V-12V DC-DC converter under the hood (with an aluminum (aluminium)) heatsink on it ? :confused:
The sentence in the Tesla spec is ambiguous and could imply either, eh ?
I would not add a separate 12V battery either ... if the design was up to me.

I am fairly certain from seeing an EV conversion using a similar air conditioner that the infamous "toaster" under the hood (with heatsink on top) controls the air conditioning compressor and is not a DC/DC as some had thought.

Tesla patents suggest that 12v comes out of the ESS.
I am not sure if it comes from "one sheet" or from all.
The electronicdesign article suggests it takes 32.4V from one sheet and uses a small DC/DC to convert that for the accessories.
I think a more logical/common solution (like what they did on my RangerEV) is to take the full traction pack voltage (e.g.: > 300V) and DC/DC that down to about 13.5V. Many EVs do use a traditional 12V battery as somewhat of a buffer so that brief spikes in power load won't overload the DC/DC converter.

Some of this rolls back to the suggestion Dr.Taras got to install an aux 12V system for his upgraded stereo. Whatever Tesla does seems to have some current limit for the accesories.

Hence why a extra 12volt batt should have been added. To act as a buffer for the loads the current converter cant provide. Its a fine line that current converter walks with the amount of power is can put out at 12volt.

lots of funny stuff in the ESS, a smoke detector that looks like it came off my celling at home. A moisture detector that seems to be disabled. lots of wasted space...I've seen and poked around in the tesla ess.

Last edited:
I thought the 12V is produced by the 400V-12V DC-DC converter under the hood (with an aluminum (aluminium)) heatsink on it ? :confused:
The sentence in the Tesla spec is ambiguous and could imply either, eh ?
I would not add a separate 12V battery either ... if the design was up to me.
I was told by a Tesla staffer that the 2010 Roadsters (now in production in UK) would contain a replacement for the "toaster" under the hood. He said it would be smaller and result in a better, cleaner design and operation. I don't remember better than that. Perhaps others in the 2010 order pipeline can make inquiries and find out more. So it does seem that there are some more substantial changes than just the interior re-design in the 2010 cars.

I was told by a tesla technician - but this is more than half a year ago - that they are redesigning the HVAC system for the 2009 cars (meantime: 2010 cars). Main reason: new system is cheaper.
When I told this to the marketing guy at the event, he told me: uh, yes, but main reason: the new HVAC is more quiet. Its a risk when you take real technicians to a customer event, we then joked :wink:

Here is the new "toaster" under the hood of Roadster 2.0 (MY2010) shakedown build #501:

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 115