Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Door Cannot Fully Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is my delivery date, however, I didn't accept the car. The driver door sometimes cannot fully close itself. It feels like something blocking the latch.
The delivery advisor mentioned taking the car and creating a service request later. But I don't want to do that...
My Model 3 has some issues since I bought the car and never fully repaired. I don't want to risk again.
Here is some video I took.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I wouldn’t have accepted the car either because like you said a lot of times you accept delivery and they just end up saying it’s within spec or it’s the best it can be.

But that’s a legitimate concern and more than just a minor cosmetic fit and finish issue. The door not latching is a potential safety issue.
You are right! I never thought about the safety aspect! That's a great point!
Yeah, I am fine with minor scratches or cosmetic issues, but this one, I can't convince myself to accept it...

Upvote 0
The Model X would make sense for my family but the doors (front and FWD, both) scare me. I don’t want to fight with the doors to my car in order to get in or out. They appear to be over-engineering gone wildly wrong (especially in the newer cars!).

You did the right thing rejecting that car; intermittent failures are the worst. I doubt it would get resolved 100% to your satisfaction. Better luck with the next car.

Reactions: dmark1021
Upvote 0
You did the right thing. Another will come along. They've been notified about the door with this reject reason. Maybe they'll fix it for the next person.
I initially asked them to fix it, then I would accept it once it is fixed, because I really do not trust the service department.
They initially would not do that and told me many people are waiting for it and as soon I reject it, somebody else would take it... And I might also lose my FSD transfer if the next one comes after March 31.
Eventually another delivery advisor decided to let the service department to check it. If they could fix it, I would still take it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I initially asked them to fix it, then I would accept it once it is fixed, because I really do not trust the service department.
They initially would not do that and told me many people are waiting for it and as soon I reject it, somebody else would take it... And I might also lose my FSD transfer if the next one comes after March 31.
Eventually another delivery advisor decided to let the service department to check it. If they could fix it, I would still take it.
What boggles my mind is that they think someone else would accept that car…there might be many things a new buyer might miss in the delivery but everyone uses the front driver’s door; that’s hard to miss or workaround.

Upvote 0