Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Rimac Nevera runs an 8.6 in the quarter. That’s with nearly double the horsepower of the Plaid, and with an extra motor. It’s incredibly difficult to shave off times. To get the Plaid into the 8s will take some magic.

As for the LR being artificially held back on the launch, that wouldn’t surprise me. It’s always felt the same in my Model 3 P. It doesn’t launch super aggressively (and doesn’t even have a launch mode!)

The Rimac Nevera runs an 8.6 in the quarter. That’s with nearly double the horsepower of the Plaid, and with an extra motor. It’s incredibly difficult to shave off times. To get the Plaid into the 8s will take some magic.

As for the LR being artificially held back on the launch, that wouldn’t surprise me. It’s always felt the same in my Model 3 P. It doesn’t launch super aggressively (and doesn’t even have a launch mode!)

I have found that if a car can trap 155-156 mph in the 1/4, it has the potential to run high 9's. That stripped down car ran a trap speed of 154 mph so it's getting close. I agree with @2021plaid in that the ZeroG's gets it there.

I have found that if a car can trap 155-156 mph in the 1/4, it has the potential to run high 9's. That stripped down car ran a trap speed of 154 mph so it's getting close. I agree with @2021plaid in that the ZeroG's gets it there.

I’d be very surprised if that happens. A completely stock Plaid traps 154-155mph, and runs a 9.2 at best. I cannot see 8s with different wheels only, but would love to be proven wrong. And, if proven wrong, it makes me wonder why Tesla wouldn’t provide wheels with the car that can help it accomplish 8s, not to mention setting it apart yet further from the LR.

I’m thinking 8s are maybe possible with stripped interior and lighter wheels. Both will likely be necessary. I’ll believe it when I see it though!

Plus, a gutted interior isn’t a good look for any car I own. It does kind of defeat the point of having a nice family car.

I’d be very surprised if that happens. A completely stock Plaid traps 154-155mph, and runs a 9.2 at best. I cannot see 8s with different wheels only, but would love to be proven wrong. And, if proven wrong, it makes me wonder why Tesla wouldn’t proved wheels with the car that can help it accomplish 8s, not to mention setting it apart yet further from the LR.

I’m thinking 8s are maybe possible with stripped interior and lighter wheels. Both will likely be necessary.

I agree with your last sentence. If you run this combo in Motormatchup, the Plaid dips right below the 9 second 1/4 mile barrier. Motormatchup has been very accurate in projecting performance once the parameters are input in correctly.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Swap out that drivers seat with a lightweight bucket, change to some UP carbon fiber wheels, throw it down the track full send with a teenage driver weighing 99 pounds soaking wet and you've got yourself an 8 second car... maybe.
someone has already partially gutter the plaid and ran a 9.14. There’s a video on YT that just dropped.
1D8414B2-F68A-43A5-BA0E-4AD4724B40CA.jpeg

Also Brooks from Dragtimes is getting a set of signature wheels from @SignatureSales. I think he’s going for the record.

Last edited:
Swap out that drivers seat with a lightweight bucket, change to some UP carbon fiber wheels, throw it down the track full send with a teenage driver weighing 99 pounds soaking wet and you've got yourself an 8 second car... maybe.

I was just running some calculations with the UP wheel and CC break package. According to MM, the Plaid needs a total ~500 lb static weight reduction to get into the 8's. The UP package will save you over 60 lb of unsprung weight. whatever that converts to in terms of static weight (if the 4x ROT is correct) is that equates to 240 lbs. So if the Plaid can shave an additional 260 lbs, it could dip into the 8's based in the 4x dynamic to static conversion.

I was just running some calculations with the UP wheel and CC break package. According to MM, the Plaid needs a total ~500 lb static weight reduction to get into the 8's. The UP package will save you over 60 lb of unsprung weight. whatever that converts to in terms of static weight (if the 4x ROT is correct) is that equates to 240 lbs. So if the Plaid can shave an additional 260 lbs, it could dip into the 8's based in the 4x dynamic to static conversion.
Exactly correct. Unsprung weight is a hug factor for performance. That's why the ZeroGs will be a such a huge deal.

Reactions: byeLT4
Exactly correct. Unsprung weight is a hug factor for performance. That's why the ZeroGs will be a such a huge deal.
Signature has already weighed and test fitted wheels on a plaid and they’ve reduced it by 10.5 lbs already going to a 20” diameter and 11” wide. That’s 42lbs of unsprung weight right there. See post #22. They said they can actually do a 325 tire for the rear :oops:

Last edited:
Signature has already weighed and test fitted wheels on a plaid and they’ve reduced it by 10.5 lbs already going to a 20” diameter and 11” wide. That’s 42lbs of unsprung weight right there. See post #22. They said they can actually do a 325 tire for the rear :oops:

Dang!

Reactions: TorqueMonster
If that doesn't do it another (expensive and inconvenient) way to save 50+lb is replacing the factory glass roof with a thin plexiglass one, I'd guess it would be <100k for this mod if you want to replicate the 3D curvature of the original, less than 15k if you go with 2D bend and roll the dice on slightly altered aero. Bonus points if you go full CF, probably less than 100k for that mod too, might be able to save 80lb plus on it. (disclaimer: I'm an engineer but with no experience in this area).

You can lose 20lb *per corner* in wheels and brake discs on a car with the 21's, alone. Solid steel rotors that big are heavy as hell compared to a quality two-piece floating rotor, even a steel floating rotor with aluminum hats could be worth 7-8lb per rotor. Nice thing is, the car seems to need a rotor upgrade anyway (at least, to make it through a PPIHC run, or several drag runs in qucik succession, without fade) so you get to go faster and you get to shed heat faster too, there aren't many free lunches in car mods but that comes close

The glass roof is a dumb cost-saving feature for the factory to save production steps that could be replaced with a glue-in CF panel and some sound-deadening and drop many pounds as well. And, would be totally reversible. And you'd have shade, finally, inside the car!

CF roof panels for other platforms run around $3-5k with install. Just gotta get somebody to believe there's a market and make one. There are people doing this in the states. And that's installing onto a steel roof equipped car, drilling out rivets, etc.. With the glass just stiting there glued in, install shouldn't be too terribly expensive

8.99x - doable, if you're a crazy person, and you can get the track to prep for you juuuuust right, maybe at altitude (I imagine you only want the first 330' prepped, or less, and you want as little rolling resistance as possible after that). Rimac-beating accel? I think we'll have to wait for the Roadster for that, if it ever comes

Last edited:
The power curve on the Plaid is that crazy. One gear reduction ratio vs. 8+. Makes a big difference.
It looks like alien technology. This is the kind of stuff we used to only be able to make a car do in Gran Turismo

It's an Escudo you can put baby seats in and drive to starbucks and get fixed (probably often) under warranty

Last edited:
  • Love
This is stupid. I'm probably a few years away from being able to get a Plaid but I'm sitting here all giddy like a damn schoolgirl watching these vids. 😆

I am VERY interested to see what a stripped Plaid does with lightweight wheels. With a shallow stage to maximize rollout I think 8.99 is possible. I know it seems like a long shot but with the very limited runs with the stripped interior we have seen it beat the stock ET and trap, pretty convincingly I'd say. Exciting times for sure!

• Love