Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

does sentry mode piss people off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i've had my car less than a week and i dont go many places where sentry would be "needed". i've seen a few videos of people reacting to cars with sentry turned on. my assumption is the car makes noise or flashes llights, or does something otherwise distracting.

what does the car do and in what scenarios, also does anything think the cars actions will bring "harm" to the car by someone pissed off of getting startled?

i can see someone getting spooked and kicking a bumper or keying a car...

thoughts?

Don't think anyone is p'd off. And if they decide to go back to do somethng to the car it will capture them on video and possibly set off the alarm state again so I'd think they'd tend to just avoide the car.

When the car detects motion due to movement or even sound vibration, it will go into alert mode. At that point it will just save off the previous 10 minutes of videos to the SavedClips folder in TeslaCam folder. If the triggering is interpreted as a real threat, the car will then go into Alarm mode. The headlights flash a number of times, the Big Red eye gets displayed with screen brighter to catch a possible perps attention, the car starts honking a number of times (I think until you disable on the app) and you get sent a notification of an alarm state happening. I know because it happened to me while we were out dining.

Alert state: How do you know if Sentry Mode activated?
Alarm state video: How do you know if Sentry Mode activated?

My husband had disabled the alarm as he was walking to check it out so didn't get close enough to hear the loud music from inside the car that would be playing although he thought he heard loud music maybe coming from the trigger car but suppose it could have been from my car. Just not near enough to know for sure.

Last edited:
so i've had my car less than a week and i dont go many places where sentry would be "needed". i've seen a few videos of people reacting to cars with sentry turned on. my assumption is the car makes noise or flashes llights, or does something otherwise distracting.

what does the car do and in what scenarios, also does anything think the cars actions will bring "harm" to the car by someone pissed off of getting startled?

i can see someone getting spooked and kicking a bumper or keying a car...

thoughts?
Anything that annoys passerbys could cause a bad reaction, like keying a car. For example, I would never put an ASU license plate on my ASU alum wife’s car for precisely this reason, especially if we frequently parked that car near the University of Arizona campus in Tucson. (For those many of you non-Arizonans, yes, the animosity between those two alumni bases is at times pretty extreme, in some cases bordering on hate. Go figure.)

Of course just having a nice car like a Tesla can trigger the worst impulses in people. As for Sentry, I think the additional security benefit outweighs any concerns about vandalism from annoyed passerbys.