Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Documentation/proof needed to claim $7.5k EV credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
I was wondering, if someone who bought last year, could list out the documentation/proof that is needed while filing tax return to claim the $7.5k credit? Should i get something specifically from Tesla? or DMV?

Also what is the IRS tax code or form, that I can let my tax accountant know, so that he/she can read through and understand the details and make sure they file the appropriate form?

thank you.

...proof...

Each December, I've been buying H&R Block tax software for the form 8936 which requires filling in 5 info:

1) Model year
2) Make
3) Model
4) VIN
5) Date placed in service

You don't need to send in any proof until you got specifically audited for this purchase, then of course, you can submit your car title as proof.

I didn't use Turbo Tax because it didn't allow form 8936 for quite some time until a final form came out later after March 1st.

If you do-it-yourself, you can go to irs.gov to get the form 8936. Or in your case, have your accountant to read up that form.

I was wondering, if someone who bought last year, could list out the documentation/proof that is needed while filing tax return to claim the $7.5k credit? Should i get something specifically from Tesla? or DMV?

Also what is the IRS tax code or form, that I can let my tax accountant know, so that he/she can read through and understand the details and make sure they file the appropriate form?

thank you.

Most any accountant uses commercial software and doesn't do it by hand. All you need to do is tell them about the car as TAM indicated and it should come up as a question when the run the software.