Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you prefer Creep On or Off?

Creep On or Off?

• On

Votes: 142 31.1%
  • Off

Votes: 315 68.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turned it off before I ever pulled out of the parking spot when I took delivery. It was hilarious. The guy giving me my orientation (who was definitely not a Tesla car employee) brought up the screen with the steering, power and creep controls to explain it to me. Before he could get 5 words out of his mouth I had turned off Chill, switched my steering to sport, and turned off creep.

My "orientation" was very similar. After being on this forum for almost a year before getting my car, I had all my settings set up within the first minute sitting in my car. The guy came over to give me the orientation, looked at the screen and just said "oh, you already set everything, do you have any questions?" I said no and the orientation ended.

With creep on, you can't fully stop without using the brake. With creep off, you can coast to a stop after regen finishes without touching the brake.

Not in my S, 3 or X, all of which I have tested now, at least in a reasonable stopping distance. Will actually test on an empty road and let it take as long as it needs to see, but in practical use the speed, on my cars, when the brake needs to be applied is the same with roughly the same point of lifting from the accelerator, 4-6 MPH.

Reactions: Dr. J
Not in my S, 3 or X, all of which I have tested now, at least in a reasonable stopping distance. Will actually test on an empty road and let it take as long as it needs to see, but in practical use the speed, on my cars, when the brake needs to be applied is the same with roughly the same point of lifting from the accelerator, 4-6 MPH.
Same experience for me. I’ve tried it for an unreasonable stopping distance and still had to apply the brake. Although given long enough of course it would eventually stop

Reactions: NewTMSMan

Went and re-tested my S today on flat road section and given enough distance with Creep Off it will come to a complete stop. If even a slight incline it did seem that it would stop in a reasonable distance if I anticipated the stop well enough. Going to leave Creep Off on the S for a while and see if in real world testing if I can come to a complete stop in practical circumstances.

Reactions: whatthe2
how come it improved performance but impacts milage/driveability?.

Not sure of your confusion? That trade off happens in nearly every mod that improves performance- it reduces drive-ability or mileage. See also things like more aggressive cams or timing where you can run into idle issues but the car is faster... or higher engine compression where you make more power but need stouter more expensive parts and higher octane fuel... or a slew of other such tradeoffs between performance and reliability/streetability.

In the case of a torque converter, the higher the stall speed the higher the engine has to rev to get to stall speed or lock up. That's bad for mileage, and also for driveability and longevity as the transmission will be slipping at low rpms.

It can improve performance (if you get the right one) because it gets the engine into the powerband more quickly when you punch it... but it sucks for driving around in traffic at low throttle inputs.

A very high stall converter is a bit like doing a high rpm clutch dump on a manual... fun for a drag race but would be awful to daily drive that way.

• Informative
Reactions: Candleflame
Not sure of your confusion? That trade off happens in nearly every mod that improves performance- it reduces drive-ability or mileage. See also things like more aggressive cams or timing where you can run into idle issues but the car is faster... or higher engine compression where you make more power but need stouter more expensive parts and higher octane fuel... or a slew of other such tradeoffs between performance and reliability/streetability.

In the case of a torque converter, the higher the stall speed the higher the engine has to rev to get to stall speed or lock up. That's bad for mileage, and also for driveability and longevity as the transmission will be slipping at low rpms.

It can improve performance (if you get the right one) because it gets the engine into the powerband more quickly when you punch it... but it sucks for driving around in traffic at low throttle inputs.

A very high stall converter is a bit like doing a high rpm clutch dump on a manual... fun for a drag race but would be awful to daily drive that way.

ahh i see.

Definitely on for me as I see no benefit at all to having it off. If you live in the city all you do is stop and go, so having creep is much easier to just let the car move up a bit when the person ahead of you moves up a few feet in slow moving traffic. I especially prefer it in the garage and when parking. I used to drive standard then automatic, and having creep off doesn't feel like standard to me at all. I tested it on the way home last night and whether it's on or off the regen stopping distance was identical, there's no difference at all between them. I'd give it more of a try if it actually stopped the car but it worked the same.

Definitely on for me as I see no benefit at all to having it off. If you live in the city all you do is stop and go, so having creep is much easier to just let the car move up a bit when the person ahead of you moves up a few feet in slow moving traffic.

Slow moving traffic is the absolute best time ever to use TACC and/or EAP.

Why would you be using the pedals yourself like some kind of peasant?

Slow moving traffic is the absolute best time ever to use TACC and/or EAP.

Why would you be using the pedals yourself like some kind of peasant?

Because I live downtown Toronto and last time I checked TACC and EAP don't:

1) Stop when the streetcar doors open when it's in the left lane me in the right (which is a legal stop)
2) Stop when someone presses the pedestrian cross walk button
3) Wait until the pedestrian has fully crossed the road before going again which is the law
4) Stop when someone just runs out across the road or crosses in between cars that are moving slowly
5) Maintain the proper speed limit (as it's 40km/hr most of the way home but the car shows that it's 50km/hr which is wrong, and in a few cases it's actually 50km/hr and the car shows the speed limit is 30km/hr)

List goes on. EAP is fine for highway but in downtown city traffic is where I do 95% of all driving. Trust me I've tried to use it and it's just too unsafe, too many close calls. Plus you're constantly changing lanes to pass parked cars or the streetcar.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Because I live downtown Toronto and last time I checked TACC and EAP don't:

Why does your profile say Montreal if you live in Toronto? :)

I agree that EAP is not great in cities. There are too many variables requiring EAP to be turned off and on constantly. If there is a long stretch without intersection, I will turn it on but typically turn off before getting to an intersection.

Also, when I see a red light, I can lift off the accelerator and have regen slow down towards the intersection, EAP will wait until the end and then brake hard. It also takes too long to start again once the car in front moves.

You said in a city with heavy traffic.

In that case you're mainly just following another car at low speeds. In which case EAP/TACC works great.

Just about every example you then gave involved NOT having cars in front of you to follow- which is kind of the opposite of heavy traffic.

Reactions: JeffK