Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need a charging cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to seem like a silly question but I've been able to survive on home charging and supercharging since I got my S 6 months ago, I'm going to more rural places so looking at the 3rd party networks to charge from but my question is.

With a type 2 connector on the car, how many of the 43KW charging point already have the cable and the plug and how many have the socket?

Do I pay £100 for a cable or chance that 90% have it already?

Thanks

This is going to seem like a silly question but I've been able to survive on home charging and supercharging since I got my S 6 months ago, I'm going to more rural places so looking at the 3rd party networks to charge from but my question is.

With a type 2 connector on the car, how many of the 43KW charging point already have the cable and the plug and how many have the socket?

Thanks
You can’t use Type 2 at rapid charger speeds, i.e. up to 50kW. The 3rd party rapids usually have connectors for CCS (not compatible with your S) and Chademo (compatible with the optional Tesla adapter, but your car may need adapting too).

The best charge rate you’ll get from Type 2 is up to 11kW, or more often 7kW. For these more often than not you’ll need to use your own lead.

You can get an adapter to allow a Model S to rapid DC charge using CCS I believe, costs around €170 though. This allows earlier Model S and X cars to charge from non-supercharger CCS rapid DC chargers.

This (German) video shows it in use:

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Until you need it, it's a waste of money.

When you need it, priceless

Thanks
For rapid charging, the CHAdeMO adapter may still be your best bet - you should check on Zap map what your local stations have. You might be able to get one second hand.
Great for getting to the North Coast too
Ian

Thanks

Tesla destinations chargers will have cables, some let you use them if you buy something.
Fast chargers (7kw) won't have cables
Rapid chargers will have cables but if Type 2 is support most of the time its not supplied however with Ecotricity the AC cable is usually there.

I would check the Tesla charger map for destination chargers and zap map

Do you mean a cable or an adaptor? You should have got an AC cable with the car.

I have both chademo and CCS adaptors and I use the CCS more now as it supports faster charging that chademo and I haven’t found any charger who have chademo but not CCS (other than ecotricity and they tend not to work anyway).

You can get an adapter to allow a Model S to rapid DC charge using CCS I believe, costs around €170 though. This allows earlier Model S and X cars to charge from non-supercharger CCS rapid DC chargers.

This (German) video shows it in use:

I think all but the most recent (last 6 months?) MS require a partial wiring harness upgrade as well as the CCS adapter - it costs around £450 including the adapter?