Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Aero wheel tires really need to be XL spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am asking because I was reviewing the spec of the 2018 Model 3 LRAWD 18 wheels and the 2019 Honda Clarity Plugin Hybrid Base (which also sports 18" wheel).
They both use the same tire sizes (235/45R18), the speed rating and the load weight seem to be different, but both the vehicle are 4050+ lbs.
If the Honda went with Michelin Energy Saver all-season, and they are clearly not has well rated for speed and weight, why can't the M3. What am I missing here ?

Are you referring to the load rating (98 for Michelin Primacy MXM4 T0/T1, 94 for Hankook Kinergy GT) for 235/45/18 tires?

Tesla has (a) not specified the load rating on tire labels on many (or all?) Model 3 cars (check the tire label on the door jamb to see if a load rating is specified), and (b) used 98 and 94 load rated tires (models named above) with 18" wheels on Model 3 cars.

The Michelin Energy Saver is obviously a low rolling resistance tire, although it is generally considered less sporty than the Michelin Primacy MXM4.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
I am asking because I was reviewing the spec of the 2018 Model 3 LRAWD 18 wheels and the 2019 Honda Clarity Plugin Hybrid Base (which also sports 18" wheel).
They both use the same tire sizes (235/45R18), the speed rating and the load weight seem to be different, but both the vehicle are 4050+ lbs.
If the Honda went with Michelin Energy Saver all-season, and they are clearly not has well rated for speed and weight, why can't the M3. What am I missing here ?
Tire Rack allows you to select an “SL” tire as a standard tire for the Model 3 LR. A 94 Load Index tire is way more than is actually required for the Tesla Model 3 LR. Even a 92 rating leaves a significant margin of error even with five 200 lb passengers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Tire Rack allows you to select an “SL” tire as a standard tire for the Model 3 LR. A 94 Load Index tire is way more than is actually required for the Tesla Model 3 LR. Even a 92 rating leaves a significant margin of error even with five 200 lb passengers.
Not sure which year model you are using on TireRack, but when I punch in 2018 M3 AWD LR, I do not have the option of anything under 98 XL load rating.
Punching in a newer year M3 does show SL option. Also my door jamb shows 40 PSI, and the software on the car's safety/TPMS section is recommending that I inflate to 42 psi.
Had I come across this information earlier, I would have probably chosen a different tires. Not that I'm unhappy with the Quatrac Pros.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Not sure which year model you are using on TireRack, but when I punch in 2018 M3 AWD LR, I do not have the option of anything under 98 XL load rating.
Punching in a newer year M3 does show SL option. Also my door jamb shows 40 PSI, and the software on the car's safety/TPMS section is recommending that I inflate to 42 psi.
Had I come across this information earlier, I would have probably chosen a different tires. Not that I'm unhappy with the Quatrac Pros.
Yes, I was referencing the newer vehicles only.