Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Guide: 2021+ Model 3 SR+ Hansshow Premium Audio Upgrade (enable speakers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Disclaimer: Some of the photos are mine however the rest belong to the web and its respective owners. Credits due at the end of the writeup.
Please proceed with caution. The install worked out for me and I hope it does for you if you choose to tackle it. Good luck!

I wanted to take the time to write up my experience installing the Hansshow Model 3 SR Premium Audio Upgrade, specific to 2021+ Model 3 SR+. For $80-$90, I do find the speaker-enabling harness to be worth the value as it did show significant improvement to the current speakers. I did not take the photos with respect to the diy, but just to reference as I went along.

This DIY for the 2021 Model 3 Standard Range Plus will enable 4 additional speakers to the current 8-speaker setup. This will allow for a more crisp sound on the higher frequency range in addition to what you are currently enjoying.

Product:
Hansshow Website
Amazon

Some notes before we get started:
-Duration 1 1/2 hours to 3 depending on how you work
-Difficulty is 3/10 in my opinion, biggest difficulties being to remove all panels and unplug/plug the cables.
-Tools (3) - The provided plastic pry bar, a flathead, zip ties & something to cut it with.

-There are some posts that mention a weaker bass sound after installation. This is not true if you have installed it properly.
-I don't think we have rear shelf speakers, only 2 rear door speakers as illustrated below by Hansshow:

61+DcNJBxLL._SX425_.jpg

1. Review the wiring harness. Image taken from Hansshow manual- I added letters to try to make it more understandable.
  • A1 & A2 are similar or the same. One should be tagged Left Driver, the other Right Passenger.
  • B1 & B2 are similar or the same.
  • C1 & C2 are similar or the same. These plugs will not be used.
  • D1. Should be tagged as rear speakers. These plugs will not be used.
We will be installing 4 connectors total:
  • Driver side: A1, B1.
  • Passenger side: A2, B2.
We will not be installing 3 connectors:
  • C1 (2018-2020 Model 3), C2 (2018-2020 Model 3), D1 (Rear Speakers)
Screenshot 2022-08-01 185810.png

2. Panel Removals. Remove the following from both Driver & Passenger sides:

• Any floor mats
  • Rubber Door seal grommet (just enough for accessibility)
    • Pull away from door sill, easy off, easy on
  • Plastic bolt cover
    • With the provided plastic Pry tool, pry at the top to release it from the single clip
  • Plastic Kick panel
    • With the Pry tool, remove 1 plug at the top of the kick panel, then begin pulling at the bottom of it, the clips will easily release
t2ufu5e.png

• Center console carpeted kick panel
    • With the Pry tool, begin prying outwards from the bottom-most edge of the panel. Once one clip releases, it will be easier to pull the panel away.
    • Once one panel is removed, extend your hand into the center console opening to push the opposing panel loose.
    • Be sure to collect any loose clips and reinstall back onto panel
img_1930-jpg.312358

• Passenger side only: Remove the black plastic cover panel from under the glove box
    • 3 plugs to be removed, gently pry away and after it releases, remove the 2 connectors attached to it.
20220731_160110.jpg

3. With all panels removed, Identify the connectors to be worked on.

• On the vehicle's touchscreen, go to settings, safety & power off the vehicle.
  • Complete the connection on one side, then route the remainder of harness to the other side through the opening in the center console (since we removed the kick panels)
Drivers side (left photo) A1 for the Blue plug, B1 for the White plug with the black cover. --- Pass side (right photo) B2 for the White plug with black cover
20220731_165742.jpg
20220731_160153.jpg

After harness install:
20220731_174326.jpg
20220731_175441.jpg

Passenger side A2 location is higher up into the glove compartment area. Please refer to these photos:
1st photo: Bottom right of where it says ICE Computer. --- 2nd photo: the same connector labelled 'Audio Connector'
IMG_1602%2Bannotated.JPG
IMG_1613%2Bannotated.JPG

4. Zip Tie / Cable Management

• Before closing up shop, ensure that all necessary connections are complete, then try out the sound. The tweeters up top and surround speakers should be working now!
  • Route loose wiring behind the carpet, zip tying as needed. I tucked the Hannshow box upwards into the glove box area, it being held by the black drop panel we removed earlier.
5. Reinstall Panels
  • Reinstall the center console carpeted panels, plastic kick panel, bolt cover, door sill grommet, passenger glove box panel, and the floor mats.
For those who have already installed it, please let me know if any of the above requires edits. Thank you for reading and let me know if this works for you.
Have a good one!

Photo Credits:
Hansshow
Tesla North
barjohn

travisllado

You have A1 and A2 mixed up. I tried and they don’t fit that way.
If you see A2 has gray coloured wires and A1 has coloured wires. The gray wires are on the drivers side in your connected picture. Indicating that you have them mixed up on your picture of the wiring harness layout picture at the beginning of your post.

You have A1 and A2 mixed up. I tried and they don’t fit that way.
If you see A2 has gray coloured wires and A1 has coloured wires. The gray wires are on the drivers side in your connected picture. Indicating that you have them mixed up on your picture of the wiring harness layout picture at the beginning of your post.
It’s good to note that the Audio Connector plug has a release clip that is facing towards you and needs to be pushed in before you can release the plug.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! Before you start any of the harness install, you need to do this!!! If you don’t, then you could cause error problems and have to take your Tesla into the shop. Or get shocked/sparks.

Open all doors now or you will be locked out.
1) You need to turn off the power on the screen.
2) The back seat has a power plug that needs to be unplugged. It’s under the back seat on the passenger’s side. Two sliding clips at the front of the back seat release the seat. There’s a styrofoam block that needs to come out. Under that you will find the plug, gray clip releases it when pivoted to its side.
3) open up the Frunk and remove the top panel. Dislocate the negative terminal from the battery.

Then you can proceed to the install.

Note: Panels are ok to take off before demobilizing the power.

After you are done the install, reverse the order. Battery negative connect, then back seat power plug connect

Reactions: Derektem
VERY IMPORTANT!!! Before you start any of the harness install, you need to do this!!! If you don’t, then you could cause error problems and have to take your Tesla into the shop. Or get shocked/sparks.

Open all doors now or you will be locked out.
1) You need to turn off the power on the screen.
2) The back seat has a power plug that needs to be unplugged. It’s under the back seat on the passenger’s side. Two sliding clips at the front of the back seat release the seat. There’s a styrofoam block that needs to come out. Under that you will find the plug, gray clip releases it when pivoted to its side.
3) open up the Frunk and remove the top panel. Dislocate the negative terminal from the battery.

Then you can proceed to the install.

Note: Panels are ok to take off before demobilizing the power.

After you are done the install, reverse the order. Battery negative connect, then back seat power plug connect

Attachments

• C7A8E905-E614-4091-AFDB-61CF71346684.png
    C7A8E905-E614-4091-AFDB-61CF71346684.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 148
I will be installing this exact diy kit soon. Can anyone point out the audio signal wires on the Hansshow harness? I want to tap into them for the audio signal for aftermarket amplifier instead of tapping into the Tesla harness.