Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Fix: High-pitch Whine from Drive Unit(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to post this as a separate thread since there's multiple related threads with slight differences.

Preamble

The Problem: My 2019 Model 3 LR AWD started to make more noise a few months ago, during and after a long road trip. I've always had the "beeping" noises and the "acceleration" noises, and some "regen" noises at low speeds. However, a new constant-ish pitch started showing up between 61-69km/h (38-43mph). It eventually became so loud that I could hear it over music and podcasts.

The Idea: I noticed in various threads, some people had the issue fixed when a ground strap was replaced. Some also with whole drive unit swaps (and the rear motor comes with a new ground strap, I believe). "That's ridiculous", I thought, "I'll just snug up the connection".

The Do-Not: Don't go to your local Tesla Service and say "Hey, camalaio did this and it worked, can you do it to my car?". For one, this was a shot in the dark that happened to work. For two, every car could have a different problem, and I'd probably direct you to listen to your local Service team's recommendations. If you've lost hope after genuinely trying to make progress though, this helped me, and might help you.

Precautions

This is in no way an official or recommended procedure. Much of it has you working near high-voltage harnesses and high-voltage components like the drive inverters. While incredibly unlikely, there are potential problems where a loose ground strap could more readily expose you to this high voltage. Take precautions if you decide to do this at your own risk.

Recommendations:
  • Use insulated tools, like electricians use.
  • Never allow a path for electricity across your heart.
  • Disable the HV contactors, and disconnect the 12V battery to prevent any high voltage to the motors.
If you don't know what I meant by any of the above, please just don't do this. Get someone else to that knows what they're doing.

For raising the car, I used ramps. I've had bad experiences with ramps, so I recommend the following if you use ramps as well:
  • Switch your stop mode to Roll (not Creep or Hold).
  • Set regen to Low (not Standard)
  • Enable Chill acceleration (not Standard or Sport)
  • AWD Only: Drive forward onto the ramps to raise the front, and reverse for the rear. This ensures the motor driving the car is the one on the ground and not the ramps, much safer in my experience.
  • RWD Only: Use extreme caution when putting the rear wheels on the ramps.
The Fix (with pictures!)

Goal: Tighten bolts at either end of the grounding straps.
Time taken: 1h30m, but I wasted a lot of time on things I didn't need to. Should be under an hour depending on your HV disable procedure, which you need to do twice for AWD if using ramps. Should take less than 30 minutes if RWD.
Tools Needed: 10mm socket, 10mm wrench (if you haven't lost both already :) )

Front Motor (both ends easily accessible)

This is the easier of the two to get at.
  1. Remove only the front end of the fabric-like cover (not necessarily to go further).
    • Use the 10mm socket to loosen the bolts holding it up. There's a recessed one closer to the center to remove as well.
    • Careful about the drain holes and the edges. Dust/sand will fall on your face. Use safety squints and/or glasses.
  2. From the driver's side while pulling down the cover, locate the grounding strap.
    • Mine had a label with QR code on it, and was the only cable I could see like this.
    • You are looking for a cable with ends for bolts, not connectors.
    • One end is on a body piece, one end is on the driver's side of the drive unit.
  3. Snug up the bolts for the grounding strap using the 10mm wrench.
    • Do not over-tighten, but generally these need to be fairly snug (to use the technic lingo).
    • In my case, the bolt on the body end was somewhat loose.
  4. Put the cover back in place, making sure the bolts are actually all the way in (some of mine threaded in with a lot of resistance).
ground-strap-front.jpg

Front Drive Unit: Ground strap body termination is visible slightly left of center, the cable with the label and QR code. View is from the passenger side, looking towards the driver's side and slightly rearward. (barely visible: other termination point on drive unit, but is clearly visible from the driver's side).

Rear Motor (only body side easily accessible)

I couldn't easily access the termination point on the drive unit. It's up top and really, really hard to reach. Looks like you'd need to drop the rear out to actually reach it, which is way beyond this thread.
The side you can reach is near the wheel well. Mine had a bunch of crap on it, but was tight.
  1. Remove only the rear end of the fabric-like cover (not necessarily to go further). Do not remove the rearmost plastic cover, but the one further ahead.
    • Use the 10mm socket to loosen the bolts holding it up. There's a couple recessed ones closer to the center to remove as well.
    • Again, dust and sand. Use safety squints and/or glasses.
  2. From the driver's side while pulling down the cover, locate the grounding strap.
    • Mine had a label with QR code on it, and was the only cable I could see like this.
    • You are looking for a cable with ends for bolts, not connectors.
    • One end is on a body piece, one end is on the driver's side of the drive unit.
    • The body end is close to the wheel well.
  3. Snug up the bolts for the grounding strap using the 10mm wrench.
    • Clean up the bolt with fingers and/or brush. Mine was very dirty, and it's easy to see how this one specifically might corrode easier than the others.
    • Do not over-tighten, but generally these need to be fairly snug (to use the technic lingo).
    • In my case, it felt very tight already.
  4. Put the cover back in place, making sure the bolts are actually all the way in (some of mine threaded in with a lot of resistance).
ground-strap-rear.jpg

Rear Drive Unit: Visible ground strap segments are circled. View is looking skyward, top of image towards front of car. Driver's side wheel is on the right. The right circled portion shows the accessible termination on the body.

The Result

Well, I'm writing this because it worked. Noise levels are back to when it was new. The "beeping" etc. still exist, but the new loud tone is so diminished that I have to pay attention to hear it (and it may just be in my head).

I don't know if it was the somewhat loose front one (probably) or the gungy back one (probably not), but either way it's done the job.

I honestly don't understand why this worked, and it's not placebo. I believed with all my brain that it wouldn't work. It seemed like there should have been sufficient contact. But here we are. Maybe this helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upon re-reading I realised I totally didn't make it clear you need to be under the car for this, gah.

You need to be under the car for this. The covers I mentioned are from the bottom. You might be able to do the rear without lifting it. I tried briefly but since I didn't know where things would be, wanted more space to moved around so on the ramps it went (I'm below-average in height and "within spec" on weight as Tesla would say, and would have basically no room to move under the rear without raising it).

It has come to my attention there are two potential locations for the rear drive unit ground strap!

One version, like mine, has it mounted on the body of the motor. This is basically inaccessible without dropping the rear end as far as I can tell, or requires someone smaller and more flexible than I am plus an endoscope. A stubby wrench or awkward ratchet with universal joints may help, but it still looks a bit hopeless.

The other version instead mounts the strap to the inverter housing. It would also be crammed right against things but might be more accessible, if not more visible. It is probably easier to see with a smartphone camera than my version.

I am unsure of the reason for difference between these two setups, but it's very notable (especially since I'm not sure which is more common at this point, and yours may be different!). Deep socket and/or short extension would be necessary (not too long, not much room).

Thanks to the person that helped point this out, you shall remain anonymous unless you wish to reveal yourself (I try to tread lightly with information Tesla may or may not like).

No, sorry, I never followed that whole thing. If there's any way to determine via the car's software or the CAN bus I can figure it out, but I'm not likely going to go back under to check for a physical designation.
The label is supposed to be easy to snap a picture of you stick your phone behind the left rear driver's side wheel. I think it can be seen through the wheel spokes, but I have not confirmed any of that, so take it with a grain of salt. And it's not important anyway. Was just wondering.

OP very nice work and very nice of you to take the time to write this up. While I would not do this myself, I know several here would.

Its not like this is out of character, though... you have been an extremely helpful forum participant since you joined, and this is just one in a long line of posts you have made to try to help other tesla owners in one way or another.

Bravo!

"Long" term report: Noise is still reduced, no change since the DIY work. Funny enough, a friend mentioned hearing the "beeping" sound though, and he's never noticed it before. But I mentioned this fix to him that same day, so there's bias in this report. Oh well!

The label is supposed to be easy to snap a picture of you stick your phone behind the left rear driver's side wheel. I think it can be seen through the wheel spokes, but I have not confirmed any of that, so take it with a grain of salt. And it's not important anyway. Was just wondering.

I tried to take a quick look (without actually looking up how to see it) and didn't find anything. But will make a mental note to come back to this thread if I find out. Like most of my mental notes, that means we'll probably never know!

@camalaio Do you happen to have an audio recording of the noise you were hearing?

Did it sound like this?

When I listened to this earlier with my headphones, yeah that was basically the sound I think (though yours sounded slightly lower in pitch, could just be the video). I'm at my computer now and can't hear it at all with my monitor's speakers, hah (they're actually pretty good for monitor speakers, but I digress).

To those who can't hear the sound in the video above, try headphones. You're looking for a high-ish pitch constant whine. Looking with your ears, of course.

I don't have an audio recording of my own, and hopefully I never will now that it appears to be fixed.

**I SHALL BE REVEALED!!**

lol...

This was fun figuring it out with ya. Thanks again for the how-to instruction!
:cool:
This is mine, can hear it best when I hit 48mph in this clip, around the 0:14 mark.
Think you forgot to post the clip!

question i have is does this noise really have any effect on the life of the motor? ..i have a 6/19 as well and mine is really loud now when starting out

It's unknown to us, but with my limited knowledge I very highly doubt it.

Motors and their drive electronics often make noise, audible (which has a mechanical implied source) and electrical. Both can put stresses on components, but well designed systems wouldn't be too bothered by what's present. In this particular case, I'm not sure if I was hearing the sound being produced by the motor or somehow induced into the sound system like some have suggested in the past. Never did confirm - figured I'd do it after this fix, assuming it wouldn't work :p

Sometimes these noises can be indicative of failures. The closest example most of us would have is buzzy microwaves - part of the transformer windings and/or core gets lose, and the buzzing is the vibration as it moves around rapidly due to... electromagnetic reasons *hand wave*. The stronger the buzz, the stronger the vibration, the more mechanical stress, and eventually it breaks. That said, you'll always hear some transformer hum from a microwave and it's completely benign.

If you start hearing something like gear whine though, that would be a completely different story.

I cleaned and re-tightened my rear DU grounding strap and the obnoxious high pitch whine is still there, much to my disappointment. I was unable to check the other end since it’s secured to the top of the DU and out of reach, but I could see it and it didn’t look loose.

Hopefully others have better luck!

• Funny
Reactions: Char
I cleaned and re-tightened my rear DU grounding strap and the obnoxious high pitch whine is still there, much to my disappointment. I was unable to check the other end since it’s secured to the top of the DU and out of reach, but I could see it and it didn’t look loose.

Hopefully others have better luck!

I'm not familiar with your full history, but you have a Model Y right? You might want to check out the front as well.