Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display Brightness slow to adjust, and another thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if others experience this issue, and remotely hope that perhaps Tesla will fix it.

My garage has very little natural light. So when I get into the car, the display has automatically adjusted to 0% in daytime mode. When I back out of the garage, backing to the NW, into full daylight, the display is instantly awash in lots of natural light through the pano, especially if it's afternoon so the sun shines directly onto the display. The problem is that the display adjusts quite slowly so that when all this natural light hits it, it's still at 0% and essentially useless. The backup camera is totally worthless when I back out of my garage so I'm extra cautious using the mirrors, swiveling my head, etc.

I realize I could manually adjust the brightness to 100% before backing out, then reset it to auto, but that sort of defeats the purpose of auto. It would be better if the display reacted more quickly to a change in ambient light. The Homelink connection can figure out where I am and respond accordingly, why not the display?

And while I'm ranting on the display, I find the dash display too bright at night. First, I have a white car, so the car graphic is obviously brighter than if I had a black car. Then the headlights graphic adds even more light. Since the display brightness of the dash is linked to the 17" display, dimming further then makes the 17" difficult to use.

Tesla - please fix this.

End of rant!

Agree that the CID is too slow to adjust, although I really appreciated that Tesla added this initial release of auto adjust in a firmware release since I took delivery. I have the same concern you do, and find it odd how I can watch the display go up or down in brightness by steps vs a continuous gradual adjustment I'd expect a refined vehicle to provide. MY former Lexus and MBZ both had auto-dimming Infotainment displays which were must faster and smoother to react -- even through tunnels and if waiting under an overpass. I also tried the manual adjustment method for awhile on my MS, but like you, decided that defeats the purpose, so now just wait for the CID to adjust.

I also have a Pearl White MS, but don't have the concern with the IC at night as you do. We seem to more often than not be on a similar page, so I'll explain this disparity by saying I wear glasses with tint that helps reduce glare at night. Hopefully you don't too! ;)

I agree the slow response of the brightness is annoying. It's also very annoying when the sun starts going down in the afternoon the display starts dimming down to 25% while it's still high brightness outside. The angle of the sun reduces the amount of light hitting the dashboard sensor.

The way I got around this is to keep the brightness function on the right hand scroll wheel. One quick press of the scroll wheel sets the screen brightness to 100%.

And of course turning the scroll wheel allows you to manually adjust the brightness.