Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discrepancy between Powerwall data and El Paso Electric usage data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a 6.88 kwh solar system since 2013. On this past July 12 my new Tesla powerwall was powered on (this date coincided with the start of the El Paso Electric billing cycle). Upon receiving my first bill with the powerwall in operation I was stunned to find that my smart meter reported that I sent 885 kwh to the grid for the month when in actuality I sent nothing to the grid as this energy went directly into the powerwall (the powerwalll never charged to 100% as Las Cruces is in the middle of monsoon season and we've had many clouds). My usage figures for the month read as follows: 1,679 kwh purchased; 885 kwh sent to the grid. My belief, and please tell me if I'm wrong, is that the 885 kwh went into the powerwall (I had the local Tesla project manager come out to my home, check out the system, and say that all was well with the system itself) and should have been subtracted from the 1679 kwh purchased. I'm thinking that my smart meter is programmed incorrectly, but being a lay person I'm sort of in the dark as to the problem itself and how to remedy it. Opinions?

For July (since July 12 when the powerwall was powered on) the app shows 33% solar, 19% powerwall, 48% grid.
for August(so far) 31% solar, 21% powerwall, 49% grid. We are in monsoon season here in Las Cruces so there are many clouds, preventing us getting the normal amount of solar during the day. So far my two powerwalls charged up to a high of only 81%, and that was for one day only.

My contention is that nothing should have gone to the grid unless the powerwalls were 100% charged, but I don't understand why this is happening- something wrong with the powerwall reporting or the smart meter reporting.

1661045032508.png
1661045032508.png
1661045110979.png
1661045110979.png
1661045156191.png
1661045156191.png

I think I may have the answer (not sure though) I emailed Tesla concerning my situation and received the following response:

I do not believe net metering goes into effect until your system receives permission to operate. Your application is in the queue to be prepped and submitted, but has not reached an interconnection agent yet. If you believe there is an issue with a smat meter, I'd recommend calling your utility to ask them if they have installed on yet and if not, to have them come out to do so. We do not coordinate meters being installed, usually the utility does this on their own schedule.

I do have a smart meter, but perhaps it has to be reprogrammed once I receive permission to operate.