Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in my tax refund results with $7500 EV credit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I suggest to you that you should review your withholding and adjust so that you never get a refund again. NEVER. Even though I am someone who believes in more taxes, I dont believe you should let the government hold onto your $ until April. That is an interested free loan to the government. In fact reverse it. Make sure you pay 90% of what you expect your tax bill will be or make sure to pay what you paid the previous year. Then you wont get hit with a penalty and will send in a check on April 15th for the interest free loan you received the previous year.

He would have owed a boatload if not for the EV Tax Credit.
I agree. You are better off always owing some. But not too much.

We will get a large refund, only be cause of the tax credit, otherwise we would have normally owed, just the right amount.
We bought the car late in the year and it was not worth messing with withholding for an "outlier" year. No idea how this new year was gonna work out and it came out perfect. More by accident than by planning ;)

He would have owed a boatload if not for the EV Tax Credit.
I agree. You are better off always owing some. But not too much.

We will get a large refund, only be cause of the tax credit, otherwise we would have normally owed, just the right amount.
We bought the car late in the year and it was not worth messing with withholding for an "outlier" year. No idea how this new year was gonna work out and it came out perfect. More by accident than by planning ;)
I got back way too much, but I don't remember what I claimed on my original W4. :( Figured I'd wait and see what happened this year as well. Getting around 15k back...

I will reiterate that having a car payment higher than a house payment is always bad, in my opinion, source? 20+ years of buying homes and cars.

If you can afford a $800 a month car payment and have a $600 a month mortgage then you should drive a cheaper car and buy a better house. Your net worth in 20 years time will greatly thank you.

Net worth only matters if you liquidate. As it is, my house was a foreclosure that was empty 3 years. Over 50% loan to value at this point...
The car loan bought a car that makes trips actually enjoyable for my wife instead of painful, very much worth it...

I'm none of those things. I work three jobs currently and my wife works full time as well. But the industry I work in makes me pay for a lot stuff out of my pocket which hits pretty hard at the end of the day. I also live in CA where the cost of living is high and state income tax is no longer deductible which means I pay double the tax on the same income and screws people like me even harder.

Really? I thought there was just a $10k max on SALT.

Hmmm, sounds like I should try to get into bee keeping, isn't that also a farmer credit or some such thing?

Nope. Farmers can use income averaging for their farming income. (Unlike the rest of the taxpaying public.) And self-employed farmers do not have to make estimated tax payments throughout the year if they file AND pay their tax liability before March 1 every year.

....So I thought a $7500 CREDIT would result in a $900 or so REFUND, and I was all ready to come on here and make a nice rant topic about it.

I see your username and kind of expect something like this by now :p

But as things worked out, I got more money back, which will help other things to happen more easily than I had previously assumed. So it was a good day.

And a good day for us too! ;) Hey, maybe a set of 4 similar matched winter tires? Glad you ended up richer than you thought.

• Love
Reactions: Runt8
....so, lots of financial/legal/accounting advice up thread. A bit of perspective from CA (where many, many residents/taxpayers are suffering under the new tax laws due to our high State taxes , real estate taxes, and high real estate prices---yes, my wife & I will get killed this year with loss of deductions):

Who does your taxes-- FWIW, my wife and I have used a small law firm specializing in finance and taxes, with some staff formerly employed by the IRS. With an attorney, you have attorney-client privilege...not true with an accountant. So you can have a deeper discussion with your attorney about your situation and alternatives and not have to reveal the substance of the discussion (see audit below).

How hard do they push--my tax attorney is not a risk taker, but does push hard as the law allows. Home office--fine, but be sure to have all of the backup documentation (home purchase & sale docs, architectural drawings to support square footage, careful records on updates/upgrades, utilities, internet, phone/fax, etc, etc). Consulting practice on the side--sure, but keep careful track of income and expenses (e.g. auto, office expenses) as well as 1099 income. Housekeeper--keep it legal (pay the taxes, file the W-2, etc).

Documentation--you must document everything. As noted upthread, you basically are attesting that you have all records and documents to back up your tax returns, including income, deductions, etc. I intentionally write more checks than most (...and never pay in cash), and keep every charge slip in a file with my monthly charge statements. I use Quicken to track all of my inflows and outflows. And of course you never barter, do you?

So when does this all pay off? If and when you get audited, and have a simple Correspondence Audit or even an Office Audit, you should be able to easily answer the questions without an issue. But if, like me, you get hit with the National Research Program audit (supposedly a random 1 in a million event), you face a line by line, document by document audit, where an IRS agent painstakingly goes through your return to see if what you filed is in fact backed up as the law requires. To prepare (in response to the initial IRS document request), I gave my attorney 2 banker's boxes of documents, including every charge slip and statement, purchase and sale documents for our home (...happened that year), purchase & sale of car that year (as it is partially deducted on Schedule C), home office info (architectural drawings, all improvement documentation), all utility bills, housekeeper info, etc, etc. My attorney met with the IRS agent for 3 full days (!!!) for an initial review (at my/our expense), then there was a meeting about once a month for the next 6 months, with requests for additional info (like cancelled checks, with both sides shown, to prove that the person/entity depositing/cashing the check is the one you wrote the check to). I was allowed to provide Quicken reports as needed (...and the agent accepted them). We never had to attend the audit sessions, talk to the agent, or answer any questions (...our attorney would forbid it anyways). So, after 6 months, and many thousands of $$ in legal fees (our nickel...), the upshot was that there was a clerical error in data entry into the tax software used by our law firm when entering mileage, and we owed something like $3000. No penalties, no additional audits, no rancor. Expensive and painful, but in the end not rewarding for the IRS. But interestingly I have a partner who buys, improves and sells houses. Poor record keeping, lots of cash payments for repairs/contracting, sketchy deductions, all under an accountant's purview (with many discussions about how to work the tax filing). He could not document his return, got hammered, and this opened him up to a review/audit of past returns. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
As a self employed individual any accountant that tells me I can't deduct a home office or travel miles is a red flag.
I agree. A home office is a completely legitimate deduction for self employed individuals. My tax guy has a standard form that goes into significant detail that I can honestly document. I have claimed that deduction for six years with no issues whatsoever.

I will reiterate that having a car payment higher than a house payment is always bad, in my opinion, source? 20+ years of buying homes and cars.

If you can afford a $800 a month car payment and have a $600 a month mortgage then you should drive a cheaper car and buy a better house. Your net worth in 20 years time will greatly thank you.
So you're saying that if I have paid off my mortgage, I should never take out a car loan? This advice makes no sense.