Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you purchase the Tesla Extended Warranty for extra 4-years/50K miles coverage?

Did you purchase the Extended Warranty?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of visits? Something that would be covered under the extended warranty? I have a 2014 and haven't had any door handle issues... but I think that I'd probably be ahead even if all four handles died out of warranty! :)

My service visits (all under warranty) included the replacement of the main screen console (not sure what this one would have cost), driver's seat ($6k), 2 door handles ($1k each), rear window mechanism, one drive unit, one battery, one 12v battery. I probably won't have any issues under the ESA now since it's all been replaced :tongue:

My service visits (all under warranty) included the replacement of the main screen console (not sure what this one would have cost), driver's seat ($6k), 2 door handles ($1k each), rear window mechanism, one drive unit, one battery, one 12v battery. I probably won't have any issues under the ESA now since it's all been replaced :tongue:

Thanks for posting this. My driver's seat has started to exhibit flaky behavior immediately after the annual service visit. Not sure what that's all about yet. Otherwise, there's been a long list of things addressed at various SvCs. No door handles yet, but am on my second DU, multiple sets of rotors, second 12V, second charge port, and the windshield, which wasn't all that smooth going back to month 1, has started to more noticeably deteriorate at the 15-month mark.

Tires are wearing evenly at 38,000 miles so far.

Not a ton of confidence in the reliability of the car, or in the $200/issue caveat and other fine print of the ESA. Had planned to keep the car to 100,000 miles (in my case, 3-4 years at most), but in light of the ESA snafu and inconsistent/discretionary service risk, I'll probably sell at 50,000 miles and just be done with this.

As much as I'd like to stay in a Model S at least until the Model 3 seasons a bit, it doesn't look like a financially reasonable choice.

All that would have to happen is a sensible ESA fix and, preferably, an ESA for miles 100,001-150,000. But that would be too sensible. /sarcasm.

No ESA purchased. No plans to so do unless the verbiage is fixed.

Probably the long list of exclusions and service requirements. At least, that's the case for me. See my earlier post here: Did you purchase the Tesla Extended Warranty for extra 4-years/50K miles coverage? - Page 4

Of the items mentioned in his post, most wouldn't be covered by the extended warranty anyway:

12v battery and windshield are explicitly not covered by extended warranty. I assume the DU is covered by the motor/battery warranty

I suppose the rotors and charge port would be covered, although at a $200 deductible each and only if you take in the car for service every 12,000 miles at a cost of $400-$900 each.

Last edited:
It depends if you see yourself owning the car past 50,000 miles. We bought it because this car is expensive to repair. 50,000 miles really is not much. I turned my neighbor to Tesla and he did not buy it. The screen recently went out and he was just a few hundred miles past 50k, and Tesla service would not cover it. I personally think it is quite wrong for a 130,000 car to not cover the screen, but it is what it is.

I just bought the warranty. 49K miles now. I figure there are a lot of electronics to potentially go bad - DC/DC, charger, main computer, screen - then there's air suspension, air conditioning, electric window motors, door handles, proximity sensors and mobile eye lane tracker... guess we'll have to have another poll in a couple years when a lot of cars hit 100K miles: how many people actually used the ESA? also, my service guy said the $200 is per visit, not item, so collect up the warranty items, if possible, for one visit.

I must say this extended warranty seems very overpriced. $4,000 PLUS $200 per incident or visit. It was less than that on My benz s500 back in the day and it had no deductible. It actually paid off since the suspension went out and I had a few sensor issues. That car cost more than my Tesla.

Far too much! Id consider it for $2500 with no fees. What can possibly break that will cost $4200 to repair. Door handles are going for less than $200 on ebay and im sure prices will fall in 4 years.