Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did i go overboard ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An extra cable isn't much cheaper than just getting the wall connector and you get the extra functionally with it along with it looking cleaner and better.
The Wall Connector is $500 and the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle is $275. Not sure how almost half the price "isn't much cheaper."

If I cared about such things, I could get a much cleaner installation using the $225 difference and still have money left in my pocket. The only thing I wouldn't have is the extra functionality and a little better charging speed (which in most cases doesn't make much of a difference). Also, with the Mobile Connector, you get six more feet of cable (which in my case would make a difference).

The Wall Connector is $500 and the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle is $275. Not sure how almost half the price "isn't much cheaper."

If I cared about such things, I could get a much cleaner installation using the $225 difference and still have money left in my pocket. The only thing I wouldn't have is the extra functionality and a little better charging speed (which in most cases doesn't make much of a difference). Also, with the Mobile Connector, you get six more feet of cable (which in my case would make a difference).
Gen2 is okay but Gen1 UMC is better, doesn’t complain when plugged into a GFCI 14-50 and charges at 40A assuming your car can take it.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Wondering if anyone else went through this process like me.

1. Started out really hesitant because I can't test drive a Model 3 in my area.
2. Decide to bite the bullet and order one (2020 MSM LR AWD 19 White Interior)
3. Haven't even taken delivery (pick it up friday) and already lined up WAY too much stuff to have done
  • Ordered Tesla Charger ($500)
  • Ordered Keyfob($150)
  • Ordered USB Drive for Sentry ($40)
  • Ordered Wireless Charger ($40)
  • Set up an appointment for XPel Stealth Full Wrap, Xpel XR+ tint, Ceramic coat exterior, Ceramic coat interior ($6000)
I haven't even picked up the car or know if I'm even going to like it and I have $7000 worth of purchases ....

Anyone else go overboard like this?

Better to spend the money on that stuff than FSD. Well done!

20% of total install cost (400-500 to get a new circuit run + cost of either cable or wall connector) isn't much in the grand scheme to have the better product.

Update: I went ahead and did the wrap. Came out great IMO

20200320_165413.jpg
20200320_165425.jpg
20200320_165434.jpg

Attachments

• 20200320_165434.jpg
    20200320_165434.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 64