Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destroyed by Audi RS4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is but a humble S70D, and I'm wondering... do particularly high HP ICE cars still smoke P90s or P100s regularly out there on the streets?

Please share.

so i live in an area where there are a lot of people with more money than sense, and usually use that money for hopped up luxury cars.
i always drive with the rear camera in the top position and on several occasions i have noticed m5's, hot audis, and japanese "racecars" snaking through traffic trying to catch up to... something. funny part is when they get into eyeball range of the P90d badge they calm down and drive normally. its pretty funny to watch, because its almost always when the car fills the rear facing camera when in the other lane.

We are in a Horsepower World War that makes the 1960's look like a slap fight.

There are no signs that it will abate any time soon.

Street racing of supercars became homicidal intent more than a decade ago. These are track cars now. They are getting quicker, and cut lower lap times, but ... strangely Enough, they appear to have said Enough to the Peak Speed Pissing Contest. The ability to exceed 200mph does not necessarily make a car quicker at low speeds, nor is 200mph useful on a normal racetrack.

But in the real world of traffic, pedestrians, slippery roads, erratic drivers, short onramps. stop n go traffic, the EV has the solid advantage of having all it's power available right now without prep or spoolup.

Lots of things go into whether an ICE will beat a P model Tesla. Back when I had my P85, I used to get beat quite often by BMWs, Porsches, Audis, etc. I tend to hoon it on very curvy two lane roads (e.g., Highway 1 north of SF), so it's about more than pure acceleration. The P85 would often overwhelm the rear end and I'd have to dial it back to prevent the rear end from coming around on turns.

Once I got the P85D, however, the problem with losing traction went away and it's a rare day when I get beat by any car. At this point, as long as I'm paying attention and the other guy isn't a professional driver in a top end supercar, the P/D model is hard to beat in a race below 100 mph.

First general rule of thumb - unless you have a P85DL+ - I know you *think* your car is fast, it really isn't. I used to love those kills, the dealer and media make it like ANY Model S is a race car, they buy into it, then get crushed. As someone said, that RS4 driver saw the badge on your car and thought "time for breakfast, I can pick on this one!"

In the realm of "fast" cars, you're a slug. Sorry just being real with you, someone has to so people stop getting oversold. M5s, E63S's, etc will smoke you in nearly every situation, maybe you get them to 60 if any launch challenges but that's it...they'll walk you easily up top anyway. Those cars are all 11s/120's roughly, so not even really "fast." When you start getting to mods and they sink into the 10s and 130s....like taking candy from a baby vs a <85, not even fair.

The P85/P90/P100 DL's are all demons,world class to 60 and in the 1/4 (for any prod car, much less a sedan, although they trap low), very quick, except from a roll at speed. If you're cruising 65 in the left lane, mr RS7 pulls up next to you and honks 3 times w open highway in front of you....ain't gonna be pretty for the Tesla.

Don't get me wrong, killer cars, people just kinda overblow the whole "Tesla's are all fast" thing. Sure, for the money, against comparables in that particular segment, but taking the whole automotive landscape into account....uh uh. Now the top end models....pretty ridiculous in any straight line race minus top end, truly amazing what those cars can run. P100DLs are literally hypercar quick (but not hypercar top end).

I owned a couple of B7 RS4s. I really enjoyed them. They have an amazing torque curve having 90% of the torque from 2,250 and 7,600 rpm. It seemed no matter which gear you were in, or at what RPM it would pull like a train. Though I did feel like a schmuck having to refuel it what seemed like almost every other day.

Reactions: davidc18
I annoyed some guy in an RS4 tonight by safely accelerating past him to take a right hand turn, which he also wanted to take. He might have been dozing at wheel or picking his nose and I guess he wanted to be in front because as soon as we straightened up he torched my acceleration leaving me in the dust. He must have been doing 90 or so on a surface street somewhere in front of me.

Mine is but a humble S70D, and I'm wondering... do particularly high HP ICE cars still smoke P90s or P100s regularly out there on the streets?

Please share.

It's funny how much that behavior happens where guys drive SLOW until I start to pass them then they suddenly gas the accelerator.

I have ZERO desire to street race so my limit is approximately 10 over the speed limit. I'll get passed by someone willing to do well over the speed limit whether I'm driving a 70D or a P100D.

At some point it's not about how fast your car is, but how much you're willing to sacrifice other people for your own ego.

For the record I have a 70D because it fit my requirements. I do want to get to the 10 over the speed limit fairly quickly, and to pass easily but I'm not going to spend tons of money just to go faster on a straight line.

The RS4 would be a sweet track car, but I passed on that (among others on my list) to get the 70D.

I am sure I can beat them to 60 but I don't want to get ticket. Not worth the cost. If you want to race them to 60mph them go for it. I think ill stick with the speed limit + 5mph.

Btw most roads I have "raced" on are 45-50mph speed limit. Meaning I go up to 50-55mph before I stop accelerating.

I don't race on anything lower than 35mph speed limit. Too quick and no fun.

FYI- you can get a ticket (and a much worse one from a points/insurance/fine standpoint than speeding) for racing. Even just to the speed limit. Some states call it racing, others reckless driving.

Reactions: Pdub2015
FYI- you can get a ticket (and a much worse one from a points/insurance/fine standpoint than speeding) for racing. Even just to the speed limit. Some states call it racing, others reckless driving.

Agreed.

And others call it "exhibition of speed".

You can also be pulled over for a "jack rabbit" start even if you never exceed the speed limit.

Racing, even to the speed limit, or 10 mph over, is a big problem if you get caught doing it

Reactions: Pdub2015
Have you guys ever watched the drag times or Tesla racing channel on YouTube? The P90D and P100D handle almost every car out there. From Audi to Lambos. This is in race track settings with presumably halfway decent drivers. Stoplight to stoplight on surface streets I'd say you've got nearly anything covered. In fact, I've smoked many cars in my lowly S85. People have no comprehension of the 60' acceleration capabilities and often get caught sleeping. Especially with the 90/100D model. Even when they go against a super car the Tesla often wins even with a slower ET because the super car driver can't launch their car effectively.

I unintentionally "raced" an Audi once. In order to exit the right city lane that was blocked, I trounced the throttle at the changing light but beside me the Audi driver took it as a challenge, forcing me to abort my launch.

And then he promptly turned on his left signal, holding the only lane up while he turned. Seems lately that we're getting more of the European style Audi drivers in North America (not a good thing).

Perhaps another one seeing my 70D badge and wanting a "crushed a Tesla" story... but I'm not ready to debadge just yet ;)