Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Designing a new USB Hub for Model 3

Would you buy this kind of accessory?

• Yes

• No

• Yes if <$100

• Yes if <$50

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm a month old SR+ owner. I really like how Tesla has data enabled front USB ports for connecting your phone or storage device (for Sentry). However I realized that the front USB ports do not allow for fast charging (Limited to USB 2.0 standards of 0.5A each).

I recently came across the new Jeda USB Hub which allows you to split the front USB ports into 5, with additional storage compartment for SSD.

I was planning to make my own USB hub with the following features (before I came across the one from Jeda):

1. 12V Supply from power socket. *optional* (Will need to route the cable somehow)
  2. QuickCharge 3.0 and USB-C Power Delivery (upto 30W, provided 12V is available)
  3. 4 Data+power ports + 4 Power/charge only ports + 1 Data only (for Sentry)
Optional features planned (not finalized):
  1. Embedded Raspberry Pi (Zero W or 4 or something similar) embedded with USB switch-over. This would allow raspberry to access the files on storage. You can have it log drive data, view Sentry files, auto upload sentry files/drive data. Wifi hotspot is also a possibility.
  2. Integrated ~5000 mAh battery. This can allow the device to fast-charge the devices, while slowly charging over the two USB ports. This can potentially free up the need for 12V supply. It can also provide power for some time when the car is turned off.
Is this something that fellow owners be interested in? Any recommendations? Feedback is most welcomed!

Thanks

There is 12V cable behind the front ports to tap into, but I would avoid it. I would rather have a cable run from a plug inserted in the power socket and run the cable behind the interior trim. 14 AWG should be enough to max out the current rating on the socket.

That's exactly what I did in order to add a pair of QuickCharge 3.0 USB ports, thanks to this tutorial:

• Informative
Reactions: Dmagyar
Are you using Raspberry Pi W for TeslaCam storage? How's the bandwidth required to write those video files? Do you get any corrupt videos?
I am using it for the TeslaCam. Bandwidth is dependent on how strong your wifi connection is, its a little slower for me because my router is 3 floors above where the car is but I have it copying while my car is charging overnight. I do get corrupt files every now and then, but its not because of the raspberry pi, its an issue with all model 3s and the way it saves the videos, probably a software issue. I don't think there's anyone that has never had a corrupt file.

My issue with all these "hub" options is that they will delete my wireless charging pad. Now, I DO wish that I had an easier to access hub (I end up plugging a cord into the rear outlets for convenience) for those times when wireless won't work (older phones, my wife wanting to hold/use her phone while it charges). But I don't wish to lose the wireless charge pad functionality that I currently have. Now... integrate some inductive coils into a device that is also a hub, and you seriously have my attention.

My issue with all these "hub" options is that they will delete my wireless charging pad. Now, I DO wish that I had an easier to access hub (I end up plugging a cord into the rear outlets for convenience) for those times when wireless won't work (older phones, my wife wanting to hold/use her phone while it charges). But I don't wish to lose the wireless charge pad functionality that I currently have. Now... integrate some inductive coils into a device that is also a hub, and you seriously have my attention.

It would be situated below the phone dock, in front of the USB ports. It will give you 24W of available power for your wireless charger of your choice or cables, if you prefer that.

The implication is that I could take the TeslaCam card out of a USB adapter, and stuck it into this card reader and then.... what? See it on the center screen? I understand what a card reader is.... but where do the files go once they're read? I'm not sure how that's different than sticking the USB thumbdrive into a USB "reader." The data has to go somewhere, yes?

Clearly I'm missing something here.

The implication is that I could take the TeslaCam card out of a USB adapter, and stuck it into this card reader and then.... what? See it on the center screen? I understand what a card reader is.... but where do the files go once they're read? I'm not sure how that's different than sticking the USB thumbdrive into a USB "reader." The data has to go somewhere, yes?

Clearly I'm missing something here.

Sorry for the confusion. It would be equivalent of plugging in a USB Card reader into the car's port, and have the car use it like a USB storage.

As the project progresses, I can have a USB switch to change-over the card reader to a USB port as OTG. This would allow, the card to be read by a phone, without taking it out.

Does that make sense?