Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Departure time charge fail with Tesla wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced this
Last night about 7pm I scheduled a 6 am departure with 100% charge with precondition
It indicated it would start charge at 12am to meet the need
I do not have any charge peak limitations set up, so I would assume no issues there
Charger is a Tesla wall charger on a 40 amp breaker, it indicates a charge rate of 32 amps.
At 3 am it showed charging will complete at 8 am, at this moment @ 6am app indicates the same. 8 am completion ( 2 hrs later than scheduled.
Screen shows 7kW + 7kWh 32/32A 242v
2023 model 3P

That means the car estimated you would need 6h to reach 100%, which at 7kW means you needed ~42kWh. You were under 50% SOC when you plugged right? If at 3am it showed 7kWh added then it only started around 2am for some reason.

This is not a solution but an alternative. Instead of using scheduled departure (and relying on that possibly buggy calculation) you could use scheduled charge time. It's easy to calculate when the car should start charging once you know how fast it charges. Mine adds 13% SOC in an hour, 11kW. Your probably adds 9-10% in an hour? You can input the proper time, leaving an extra hour for the last few percent to fill as it gets slower at the end.

The other solution is to charge a bit in the evening, say up to 80 or 90%, and then schedule departure for the rest. There will only be 20 or 10% left to charge and maybe the calculation will work better then.

The charger is a hard wired wall charger
Charge % was at 38% if I recall correctly
The car has no TOD charge schedule set up
I programmed using the time to leave option
I have no time of day rates, and there are none set up in the app. I also did not select the slider that would have the app consider the TOU.

My wife is driving the car at moment, so I can’t look at any settings. But my strong belief is that I used departure time, but I will be double sure next time. Since this is the 1st time I used TOD maybe I did not. If sofware does not show start of charge, I guess it’s obvious I own the issue.

Scheduled departure works best with off peak charge setting. Even if you’re not on a TOU rate plan, turn on off peak charging and set off peak end time to the same as your desired departure time.

Without the off peak charge turned on, it should have started charging immediately upon plugging in and only precondition right before 6am.

Also make sure the settings on your wife’s app matches yours and that you aren’t using any third party apps/services to control charging, otherwise it may have gotten confused as to which setting to follow.

The charger is a hard wired wall charger
Charge % was at 38% if I recall correctly
The car has no TOD charge schedule set up
I programmed using the time to leave option
I have no time of day rates, and there are none set up in the app. I also did not select the slider that would have the app consider the TOU.

So, the answer here is that THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES charging the car to 100% and letting it sit there overnight, or even a few days. And in this case, a very few hours.

There is no need to baby the battery. the gains that you get from following a relatively stick only to 55% regimen is minimal. Tesla will take care of the battery for you.

So, the answer here is that THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES charging the car to 100% and letting it sit there overnight, or even a few days. And in this case, a very few hours.

There is no need to baby the battery. the gains that you get from following a relatively stick only to 55% regimen is minimal. Tesla will take care of the battery for you.
What does all that have to do with anything in this thread?

But my strong belief is that I used departure time, but I will be double sure next time.
I think you are getting caught by the really confusing wording on these functions. If you used "Departure time", that is a climate control setting for getting the cabin warmed or cooled for your comfort. It has nothing to do with charge scheduling.

You get to pick either charge start time or the confusingly named "off peak", where you set the end of your off peak cheaper electricity rate time, which will then be a charging end time. Tesla's naming for this is terrible and messes people up frequently.

I only use the charge start time, because I know what it does, and it does exactly what I want.

Reactions: GtiMart
I did. Still don’t see how your post is relevant.

The OP never stated the reason for wanting scheduled departure charging and there’s other benefits to finish charging right before you leave than battery health concerns.
I will pretty weel guaranty you that on a car for which ToD rates were not set and one in which the owner was charging to 100% on. That the reason that schedule charging was used was to keep the car from sitting at 100% for a long period of time (as some suggest).

The reason I tried to use the scheduled departure was that I wanted 100% charge to happen at departure time. The big drama is that my dear wife will have to charge a little sooner, charge a little longer, and pay more for power. as she drives to Oakland, LOL “1st world nightmare”
All is great, I will experiment a little further in the future

The reason I tried to use the scheduled departure was that I wanted 100% charge to happen at departure time. The big drama is that my dear wife will have to charge a little sooner, charge a little longer, and pay more for power. as she drives to Oakland, LOL “1st world nightmare”
All is great, I will experiment a little further in the future
Again, no need to worry about it, Set it to 100%, plug it in and let it finish when it finishes. Sitting at 100% isn't going to impact the life of the battery.

The studies that are out there that do suggest that sitting at 100% impacts the life of the battery only show a few percent decrease.

IF THE BATTERY IS LEFT AT 100% FOR A YEAR!

That's not the case here and why Tesla will only show the "You may not want to charge to 100%" after multiple consecutive charges.

Again, the car will take care of itself.

I have the same issue. For me, scheduled charging works almost to the minute when charging for my daily needs. When charging to 100% periodically to keep my BMS happy, it always takes 45-60 minutes longer than it should. Any ideas why?