Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denied Squeaky Pano Warranty due to installation of dashcam?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I said this in another thread where Tesla is also denying warranty repair due to customer add-on... We only know half the story here, as is usually the case. Before we jump all over Tesla, maybe we should give Tesla the benefit of the doubt because they hold another piece to this puzzle. There may be more going on here than we know, again, because we only hear one side of this. Sometimes customers omit inconvenient truths from their account of what happened. I am not saying that's happened here, but we certainly cannot indict Tesla's behavior based only upon one person's version of events.

It seems like the service centers in California are not very friendly, I've read so many complaints about them. The one here in Arizona is an absolute pleasure to work with.
I've had, on average, good experiences at the Sunnyvale Tesla, so it's not all the CA centers. Realistically, I'd guess they see high volumes compared to the other SCs, at least if the 2 month wait times for service are to be believed. Maybe they're becoming jaded?

That said, we've seen quite a bit of evidence that they intend to take, and in some cases are taking, a customer-hostile stance on even basic vehicle modifications. A lot of manufacturers do this to reduce warranty costs. Brands like Mitsubishi and Ferrari are infamous for their policies. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad.

If I were the OP I'd reiterate that I didn't take off the headliner or disassemble anything near the sunroof, and that the sound predated the install. Worst case, which would admittedly suck, pull the cable and demonstrate the issue still exists? I suppose your other option is to fix it yourself. Tesla, generally, isn't doing any magic with fixing rattles and squeaks. They apply felt tape and replace fasteners just like everyone else would do. Sometime there's a revised part they'll install, but I suspect if that were the case they would have done so.