Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First-time Tesla buyer. Picked up our Model X 100D yesterday in Bellevue WA. Have some comments about the car itself and the delivery experience.

Positives:

- Very happy that there appear to be no issues with the car that I need to return to the SC for! Had concerns there would be bad panel misalignment, paint defects, seat issues, or shudder, but haven't had any of these.
- All the options, colors, etc. were correct
- Single digit mileage (9 miles)
- Was able to drive home after a moderate delay at the SC
- Very friendly, helpful people at the SC
- Trade-in went smoothly
- Process leading up to delivery was very smooth (although took longer than expected at about 12 weeks)
- Delivery guy told us we had three days to check out the car and report any cosmetic issues to them and gave me an email to send photos to, if needed (alleviated one of the negatives of only seeing the car in the dark, wet parking lot).

Negatives / Nit-picks (all are minor)

- 1-hour delay for our appointment (told after arriving at the SC) because they apparently detailed the wrong car
- Tire pressure was about 40 psi rather than the proper 45 psi
- Battery was not charged much (asked if 50% would be OK and said yes, but ended up getting it at 32%). Went to the nearest 120kW supercharger later in the night to get it to 90%, as it was <20% once we got home.
- Latest update was not installed (was still on 2018.38 -- upgraded to 2018.44 overnight)
- Some minor cosmetic issues that I fixed once I got home:
* White seats were somewhat dirty, so had to clean
* One exterior area on the white paint had some small black marks. Was worried it was paint scratches, but must have been some black substance, as I was able to rub off with a microfiber cloth
* Some of the plastic peel was not removed--6 pieces around the legs of the second row, and one piece below the touchscreen area
- Delivery guy did a "group" introduction to the car (with one other buyer). Thought it would be nice if this were more personal, especially since it was probably just 5-10 minutes of his time. I've read the manual a few times, so wasn't a big deal, but could be for others.
- Our car was presented to us in the dark parking lot in moderate rain. Would have been nice to see it inside their garage first to have a proper look and be more comfortable out of the rain.

Funny

- Delivery guy never asked us for payment (and we also forgot at first). Almost drove off with a free car :p but remembered and gave him a check before we drove away.
- After pulling into my garage it thought the storage bins next to the car were a motorcycle

Open questions (all minor for now)

- Battery seems to drop faster than expected and have shorter estimated range. Will keep an eye on this. Could be due to the low tire pressure, the temperature (~51 F), or extended moderate rain we had while driving last night (or maybe I need to do a 100% charge at some point).
- Still need to figure out how to properly move the second row seats forward to access the third. I think I've figured it out after reading, but will try again tonight. The first time I tried, the power sounds made by the easy access button were not expected (assumed it was all mechanical). Seems now that the power was just to release the recline and sliding mechanisms and not to move anything.
- Rear camera seemed really affected by the rain. Was mostly unusable--surprised it doesn't have a better coating that causes the rain to run off. That being said, the rain was unusually heavy for this area. I'll keep an eye on this.

Reactions: Bogobec
Battery seems to drop faster than expected and have shorter estimated range.
It all depends upon how you drive. Tesla gives it cars a lot of pep, and the more you use that, the greater your rate of consumption (Wh/mi), and thus the shorter estimated range. Keeping the energy graph displayed on the dash may help you be a more mellow driver.

It all depends upon how you drive. Tesla gives it cars a lot of pep, and the more you use that, the greater your rate of consumption (Wh/mi), and thus the shorter estimated range. Keeping the energy graph displayed on the dash may help you be a more mellow driver.

That could be it, but I think I drove fairly "mellow". I'm used to driving at Prius v, so have been trained to accelerate and brake very gradually, and usually get well above the rated MPG. I'll keep it in mind though, and have the energy graph up there :)

Reactions: jlv1
Had a more detailed look at the car and found a single issue (see attached). Some material is sticking out of the steering wheel. Emailed the SC so they can fix it. Not clear to me if it's an easy fix or not.

Attachments

• 20181127_200737.jpg
    20181127_200737.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 69
Had a more detailed look at the car and found a single issue (see attached). Some material is sticking out of the steering wheel. Emailed the SC so they can fix it. Not clear to me if it's an easy fix or not.
Looks like the foam that is inside of the steering wheel. Pretty sure you can cut it by tearing it. But better let the SC do it just in case ;)

Remember the listed mileage for your Tesla, and all cars, is based on EPA test cycle. For that test cycle highway is 60 mph. And as others pointed out rain and headwinds can eat into range. Also, 22 inch tires can cost you 10-15% of range. And heating can eat a bit. Interestingly seat heating costs very little. I actually use seat heating more and seat car to 68 degrees.