Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Date Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree wholeheartedly. Setting the right expectations for folks who are yet to finalize their MVPA or are yet to be
I realize that we are all getting plain antsy about having our cars delivered ASAP but, GeorgeB, please address the communication hiccups and be as transparent as you can.

I'm willing to wait until tomorrow afternoon to see what happens with the earnings announcement, shareholder letter and q&a call. After that, there should be no excuse for not informing reservation holders about delays in the delivery of their cars.

Given the size of Tesla and the importance of the model S, I suspect that any delivery changes right now are "material events" and thus Tesla cannot tell certain customers without having a press release. They are also not allowed to announce news within some number of days of the earnings announcement.

Given the size of Tesla and the importance of the model S, I suspect that any delivery changes right now are "material events" and thus Tesla cannot tell certain customers without having a press release. They are also not allowed to announce news within some number of days of the earnings announcement.

There's a variety of rules but in my public company days we observed a self-imposed no big announcement rule from 2 weeks prior to the end of the quarter until the day after the results announcement. I think a lot of companies do this just to be safe vis-a-vis all the different rules and guidelines.

There's a variety of rules but in my public company days we observed a self-imposed no big announcement rule from 2 weeks prior to the end of the quarter until the day after the results announcement. I think a lot of companies do this just to be safe vis-a-vis all the different rules and guidelines.

And such a rule probably applies even more strongly when a company doesn't have any exact information to give out yet.

Much of this discussion appears to actually be about trying to calculate if 5k deliveries until Dec 31st is possible. That info just isn't available yet. There might be much more info tomorrow, but probably still not enough, as this is the time to deal with the *unexpected*.

Great to hear they are still focusing on 5000 deliveries for the year.
I am more convinced than ever that I either got bad information when I was given a mid-October date or a new thought, somehow I got booted out of line.
Still haven't heard anything by email, will call tomorrow if I still don't hear anything.

Tesla will deliver 5000 Model S cars by years end. Here's the quote from the shareholders letter.

"As our capabilities scale, we plan to continue making customer deliveries on a methodical ramp with a target to deliver 5,000 units this year."

The first 500 to be delivered by 3rd quarter end.

Maybe not AO. All it would take would be for 32 people in front of you to have dropped their place. :biggrin:

Not to spoil the party, but it's more like 300 people, because you need to include the ~250 Sig Specials, which are in front of the regular Sigs. Even with people dropping out, I don't expect to get my car before October now, and I'm #304. In fact, this was basically confirmed for me today by someone at Tesla. That's fine-- as many have noted, I'd much rather they take their time to get my car as perfect as possible than rush it to me by the end of September.

One other wrinkle, though, is that the compressed production schedule makes the Sig even less valuable. For example, I expected that my P reservation (#96) would have been a two or three month difference from the Sig delivery, but now it may very well be a month or less! Feeling pretty stupid right about now for paying thousands extra just to get a red car, and not even getting substantially earlier delivery. :redface:

One other wrinkle, though, is that the compressed production schedule makes the Sig even less valuable. For example, I expected that my P reservation (#96) would have been a two or three month difference from the Sig delivery, but now it may very well be a month or less! Feeling pretty stupid right about now for paying thousands extra just to get a red car, and not even getting substantially earlier delivery. :redface:

if it's any consolation, the next red car to come along isn't due out until spring of 2013.

Personally, I am thrilled to help support Tesla in their long term goal of making great Electric cars. I feel it is important for our nation's fiscal health, security, the world's environment and it is simply just much more enjoyable to drive:)
I did find out that the 'estmated' date is really a window. I always figured it was, but the window is a lot wider than I thought it was at this point.
As many have said, Tesla is most likely wanting to under-promise and over-deliver.
With Elon's 500 deliveries target in the third quarter I have no doubt I will see SSL180 befor the end of September. However, at this point I am not holding Tesla to any dates. I am sure the dates will vary widely depending upon each step of ramping up production.

if it's any consolation, the next red car to come along isn't due out until spring of 2013.

Not really! I like the Sig red much better than the Sunset, but I'd be fine with white or Dolphin grey if I wasn't getting a Signature. The "exponential" ramp up brought back all my original frustration about the lack of extras/goodies for Sig owners. I had resigned myself to justifying that I was paying thousands extra for early delivery by at least a couple of months -- now it looks like that's not even the case!

I think someone else here said to just consider it a donation to Tesla. I'm probably at that point. Hopefully once I own it I'll forget all about it, but right now it hurts just a little. :frown:

Not to spoil the party, but it's more like 300 people, because you need to include the ~250 Sig Specials, which are in front of the regular Sigs. Even with people dropping out, I don't expect to get my car before October now, and I'm #304. In fact, this was basically confirmed for me today by someone at Tesla. That's fine-- as many have noted, I'd much rather they take their time to get my car as perfect as possible than rush it to me by the end of September.

Agreed on the sig sting, but remember 500 still means 500. The normal sig list starts after sig special. I don't rw,ember ifit starts at 0 after ssl though.