Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery based on location? Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! New to Tesla and just reserved a Model Y. I keep hearing about delivery based on your location, but how does this work? When I ordered, I created a new account and at no point did it ask for an address.

Oops. Accidentally posted before I finished typing.

I added an address to the contact information of my Tesla account after ordering. Is that where they get your delivery location?

I'm relatively new, and also ordered a model y around the time they did the qtr 4 earnings call. From my understanding, when your car is ready to for delivery, Tesla contacts you and give you a date of when you can pick up your car. The location of where you pick up your vehicle will be based on where your live. If you just ordered a Model Y, from what people have been speculating, you probably won't be receiving your order until closer to the end of the year.

I thought I heard people say that the reservation system isn’t really first-come-first served, and that Tesla prioritizes deliveries to those closer to California? If so, how do they know where you want the car delivered?

Hi all! New to Tesla and just reserved a Model Y. I keep hearing about delivery based on your location, but how does this work? When I ordered, I created a new account and at no point did it ask for an address.

I ordered on 1/30/20. It was a short form asking for basic information; One of the fields was zip code, so that's how they know where I am.

They will call you up and set up delivery. Since you are in California that will likely be at one of the many Delivery Centers they have scatter throughout the state. Fremont is the biggest one and is located 2 miles from the factory.

The next step will likely be something on your account requiring you to get your financing specified. Obviously if you are trading in or financing there are more steps than a cash buy. Soon after you do that they will send a request for an image of your insurance card so they can verify you have coverage to pickup the car.

for one thing, unless you go out of your way to block your IP address, they have a general idea from that. just making that point, no idea what it might have to do with deliveries. the only thing i read on here that made a little sense was that Canada has some rebates that expire april 1 so they might try to get some to those folks. but that's also conjecture, i think elon throws darts, myself...