Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC Metro to Long Island, NY (Port Jefferson)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I am taking a trip this spring from my home in the DC Metro area to Port Jefferson Long Island, NY. I drove my 2020 LRMY on a similar trip in 2022 at same time of year. Based on my last trip I am interested in recent TMC member experiences regarding ruts and potholes, road construction and detours and worsening vehicular traffic. I would also appreciate TMC member insights on recent Tesla Supercharger infrastructure changes or improvements.

Biggest issues in 2022:

1) I-95, NJ Turnpike starting at the Delaware state line (heading north) looked like war zone. There were ruts in the road and huge craters in the road surface.

2) Driving on Long Island, NY the roads were in a terrible state with ruts, potholes and craters galore. The worst I encountered was on the Long Island Expressway (East and West) and the Belt Parkway heading west to the Verranzzaro-Narrows bridge. I am also wondering about these roads on L.I.: the Northern State Parkway, Southern State Parkway and the Sunrise Highway.

3) I encountered a non-working Supercharger at the southern end of the NJ Turnpike at the Clara Barton Service Area. Half of the SC were not working.

My alternative is to fly from Baltimore to Islip. Right now flying is looking like the better way to go.

Thanks in advance.

I drove to NY from Baltimore multiple times.
NJ Turnpike is stuffed with Superchargers everywhere. Never had a problem of waiting in line or not having available stall.
Part that sucks about that trip - NJ Turnpike is a racket for tolls. Delaware is just a pain in the rear to get through (I would plan to drive through DE during non peak hours) Driving through NY city is a separate issue. GW Bridge is my least favorite part of NYC.
You just need to plan when you drive to NY, if you time it right - there will be little traffic and the trip will be short and uneventful. Plan it wrong and it will take you forever. Early morning on weekends are good on traffic. Afternoon on Friday is the worst time to be around NY.
I actually never planned what superchargers I want to hit since NJ, NY have tons of those, and they can be at random places. Just listened where MY want me to stop.
Depending on where you go - you are looking at 4-5 hours of driving.
You will spend more time in airports and taxis, plus the cost of hose.
Other option is train from Baltimore or just Megabus from White Marsh area.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe