Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dave Metcalf and son Adam break the 400 miles challenge! Incredible...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok can I be a downer for a second? I always knew tesla had access to our cars, but still... Seems a bit creepy. George, I swear I stopped at that sleazy joint to ask for directions...

Just to clarify, I contacted Tesla and asked them to track for validation with a Guinness submission of evidence so it was initiated by me a couple days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

With the large retired population in FL, he might have passed some blue hairs at that speed!

It is fitting that a challenge that involves driving slow ( something I'm not often accused of) is won in Florida.

If there aren't photos, it didn't happen. :) It's all good, AO.

I have one word for you...... TEG!

- - - Updated - - -

It is fitting that a challenge that involves driving slow ( something I'm not often accused of) is won in Florida.

Bingo! No doubt that California has been a big catalyst in the EV movement but it's fantastic to show that these sort of things can, and do, happen in other places also.

At his average consumption rate for the trip, he could do another 47 miles or so (so 447 total). Unless I'm reading the numbers wrong.

I think since I only used 80.3kWh and the car still functioned in a limited way even after the big red charge now after reaching zero for a few minutes might mean there IS a reserve. Some of you may already know this.

We hit rain and some traffic that threw us off a bit toward the end. I was thinking 432 and had aimed for the 450 on the curve from the Tesla blog. Rain really effects rolling resistance...

I do think 450 is doable. Pretty flat routes, but more rise than I thought, energy use to get off the island/ town traffic near our house, and the rain and construction pauses hurt, even though I only got stopped at 7 lights the whole day. Coasted up to all the rest 15-20 total. To all of you unfamiliar with Florida, I picked blue highways and back roads in VERY rural areas leading to beautiful "Wild Florida" locations near the big lake and Everglades. A few of the roads had higher speed limits, but were 4 lanes so I just had to watch to make sure they went around me. None had minimum speeds and I found a route with no freeways ( the route selection was easy since few routes meet these criteria and Elon's point A to B criteria, but I had only been on 25 pct of these roads ( thank you Google Street View).

- - - Updated - - -

George called on behalf of both of them and also talked to Adam. This is the type of impression I know will stick with him and I am thankful. I hope he gets to meet them sometime too.

- - - Updated - - -

Also remember that I have 21s on. Overinflated to the same 50.5 my car was delivered with. This may have emulated some range extension...

- - - Updated - - -

Whether they make it or not, it's a worthy attempt. And whatever happens with the car, it'll be an unforgettable father-son experience for both. Attaboy, Dave.

Amen. The father son experience waswhat this was about for us. If we can help Tesla and the community, even if it is in a small way for us enthusiasts, this is a win-win.

Part of it was proving that we could do our part as well as the car's performance. Doing 50-100 mile ultraruns has helped with the endurance needed to make a long day attempt with just a few minutes out of the car. I look at this as an endurance sport and disciplined/precision driving challenge others may see it differently. My son was in it for the snacks and Guinness attempt :).

Last edited by a moderator:
First half of the month is only 8.4 cents so $6.74 gets you 423.5 with equiv price in FL of $3.35/gallon means 2.01 gallons is 210 MPGe, right?

Officially, MPGe is calculated based on the assumption that 33.7 kilowatt hours of electricity is equivalent to one gallon of gasoline. So in your case 78.5 kWh used divided by 33.7 is equivalent to 2.33 gallons used. 423.5 divided by 2.33 equals 181.8 MPGe. This method takes the price per kWh/gallon out of the equation.

Last edited:
Bravo! Is this going to be an official Guinness World Record?

Adam and I submitted it for review late this week, but it takes 4-6 weeks to get reviewed. I signed all the paperwork and have an official attempt letter/legal agreement, pending their request for evidence and examples. That's why I got Tesla involved...

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool - good luck!! Hopefully there will be a charging station at your destination!:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

... or make it to a forum member's house.:wink:

Thanks for the offers. I did not see them til almost the end. Plan A was to stay overnight at an RV park, or plan B get to the 100 mile distance from I-95\714 to home. We chose B...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

East...

- - - Updated - - -

Officially, MPGe is calculated based on the assumption that 33.7 kilowatt hours of electricity is equivalent to one gallon of gasoline. So in your case 78.5 kWh used divided by 33.7 is equivealent to 2.33 gallons used. 423.5 divided by 2.33 equals 181.8 MPGe. This method takes the price per kWh/gallon out of the equation.

Thanks. Makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm hoping he completes this challenge, also hoping this will get the attention from a few car sites

More free advertising for Tesla!

Also remember that Elon's said the first 10... Go for it!

Same thing in this case!

Im way out west compared to the Dania store!

Thanks didn't see some of these until we were much further north. My main goal was to avoid traffic and maintain constant speed to bring the kWh down. I would have loved some rallying but had to stay focused on the road. 27 near you was some of the fastest roadways on our route and we were on high vigilance to not get rear ended.i spent some time driving in the breakdown lane : ).

Thanks didn't see some of these until we were much further north. My main goal was to avoid traffic and maintain constant speed to bring the kWh down. I would have loved some rallying but had to stay focused on the road. 27 near you was some of the fastest roadways on our route and we were on high vigilance to not get rear ended.i spent some time driving in the breakdown lane : ).

Dave would have loved to have met up with you to cheer you guys on!

We could have done the traditional S FL courteous driving... You in the right lane, me in the left, side by side, going 25 mph in a 70 mph zone.