Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data point on Tesla's quality management approach.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
My 21 Plaid was stopped at a light and a pick up truck hit the back of the car so hard it launched the Plaid across three lanes of perpendicular traffic landing it sideways in the forth. Luckily for my daughter driving the car that (1) it was a Model S and (2) no one "T boned" her as that would have been a horrific hit. Thank you Tesla for building such a fine safe car. It is one of the reasons Model S have been my wife's go to car since early 2013.

I ordered a replacement car the night of the accident as it was obvious to me the damage with significant enough to warrant disposing of the 21.
I had put CCM brakes on my Plaid five months back. I stopped by the service center and asked if they would move my brakes from the 21 to the 23 as a paid for service operation. They would not allow an accident damaged car on the lot. I thought this was odd as the car is perfectly drivable and they would not be touching any part of the car that had accident damage (wheels and suspension completely untouched by the accident). They would not budge. I explained that it would cost them a new car sale. They would not budge. Typical Tesla to cut off their nose to spite their face. They still do not need customers badly enough to behave like thoughtful humans greatfull to have people buying their product. Maybe some day.

The experience brought up an interesting thought excercise. Just how much accident damage makes a car "persona non grata" at a Tesla Service Center. One corner dinged? Two corner's dinged? One corner and a door? Very strange but perfectly within character for a company that treats customers like cattle.

End of rant :)