Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam: ScanDisk SD card now working, TeslaCam folder keeps disappearing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While you can keep on spending $10 or so on a cheap USB flash drive, how expensive would be it if when you got in an accident it hadn't been working or got corrupted. Could mean a bigger insurance bill to you with no proof it was the other guys fault, especially if your left fixing your Tesla. We have had a number of people on the forum say their USB flash drives got corrupted or simply stopped writing. They could see the files from earlier but nothing new recorded. Hey, if that the kind of chances you're more willing to take knowing the above, go for it.

OP, if you've gone through all the reasonable alternatives as to what can be the issue and not found anything, schedule service through the app. Could be a lose connection to the USB connector. I'm sure it's covered under warranty if it's a wiring issue.

While you can keep on spending $10 or so on a cheap USB flash drive, how expensive would be it if when you got in an accident it hadn't been working or got corrupted. Could mean a bigger insurance bill to you with no proof it was the other guys fault, especially if your left fixing your Tesla. We have had a number of people on the forum say their USB flash drives got corrupted or simply stopped writing. They could see the files from earlier but nothing new recorded. Hey, if that the kind of chances you're more willing to take knowing the above, go for it.

OP, if you've gone through all the reasonable alternatives as to what can be the issue and not found anything, schedule service through the app. Could be a lose connection to the USB connector. I'm sure it's covered under warranty if it's a wiring issue.
Agreed. I’ve been using a Samsung MicroSD since the start and have had no issues.

The inside of a car can easily reach 120+ degrees when sitting in the sun.

Yes, though I think its safe for a few writes in that condition.

Just like there is a difference in a "desktop class" computer hard drive and a "network storage" hard drive of the same physical platform, there is a difference in memory storage devices ment for "occasional writing" and "constant writing".

True, but people often want more specs than they really need.

why would someone want to take a chance that the one time they want to have the footage from it might be the time it failed...

Same reason that I'd fly on a plane, or drive a car in the first place. The difference in quality is not that extreme.

I've gone through the dashcam videos and I'm missing some footage where the car accelerates. I'd assumed that this is due to the car's processor overloading. Do you think that this is due to the flash drive quality?

especially when we are talking about a difference of (in US dollars) your stated $10 or so, and $30-40 or so?

Well, the OP only paid $12 for his SD card and $10 for the reader, so not so much difference there.

OP, if you've gone through all the reasonable alternatives as to what can be the issue and not found anything, schedule service through the app.

Tesla service is worth people's time.

While we're going to "industrial level" high priced items, why not a USB m.2 adapter with 128 GB m.2 drive?

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Reader-Converter-Support-Needed/dp/B07VZZ5DT4/

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-A400-120G-SATA-Internal/dp/B07P22T3VD/

Safe operating temperature 70C.

$10.59 + $21.99 = ~ 32$

Not being sarcastic.

I've had mixed success with SD cards and flash drives working in my Model 3. I've had expensive (relatively speaking) 128GB Samsung FIT drives die in a few weeks and inexpensive 32GB SD cards continue to work. Some cards that don't work initially start working after being reformatted. Both the original format and reformat were FAT32.

Some cards/drives don't get recognized right away (no TeslaCam icon), but eventually start working after a few minutes. Have you tried leaving the SD card installed for the day to see if it eventually gets recognized?

The technicians at my local service center have seen this as well. They don't have an explanation. Their recommendation is to use a 32GB card/drive, but provided me with no rationale as to why.

I've had mixed success with SD cards and flash drives working in my Model 3. I've had expensive (relatively speaking) 128GB Samsung FIT drives die in a few weeks and inexpensive 32GB SD cards continue to work. Some cards that don't work initially start working after being reformatted. Both the original format and reformat were FAT32.

Some cards/drives don't get recognized right away (no TeslaCam icon), but eventually start working after a few minutes. Have you tried leaving the SD card installed for the day to see if it eventually gets recognized?

The technicians at my local service center have seen this as well. They don't have an explanation. Their recommendation is to use a 32GB card/drive, but provided me with no rationale as to why.

What a sad story that you have had so many drives, both thumb drives AND SD cards.

The OP's drive is recognized immediately, but the filesystem gets corrupted after 1 day.

What a sad story that you have had so many drives, both thumb drives AND SD cards.

The OP's drive is recognized immediately, but the filesystem gets corrupted after 1 day.

The OP's first drive was recognized immediately, but later corrupted. However, his second drive was not recognized at all. I'm suggesting that the OP leave the second drive plugged in the car for an extended period to see if it eventually gets recognized. This second scenario has happened to one of my drives.

The OP's first drive was recognized immediately, but later corrupted. However, his second drive was not recognized at all. I'm suggesting that the OP leave the second drive plugged in the car for an extended period to see if it eventually gets recognized. This second scenario has happened to one of my drives.

Great point, I ignored that detail. Looks like there could be an issue with how the OP is formatting his drive. I don't use Windows, but I know how poor 3rd party software can be.

Also, looks like there are some issues with Fat32 and drives > 32GB. Probably people are using 64GB just fine, but you have to use those 3rd party tools. What I'd suggest trying:

1) Open Windows partition manager
2) Make sure the drive(s) has GUID partition type (not MBR)
3) Make a 32 GB partition on the drive(s) and format it Fat32.

Also, another partition manager / install guide is a good idea. You can use the other half for Music with 2nd 32GB partition.

Same problem with my M3 after the last update. Was working fine for 5 months before this.

Dashcam icon disappearing, works for a bit of time after SD card is reformatted but then disappears again In a day or less. SD card and adapter seems to be fine when checked on a computer.

I am beginning to suspect the USB ports.