Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you should be able to use a 5-pin motherboard header. Probably can pick up at a local Fry's Electronics or get it from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...=1514411752&sr=8-4&keywords=5+pin+motherboard

With that header, you should be able to cut the wires and more easily check the voltage with a volt meter. Hopefully you'll find something around 12V, but if I remember correctly, the Blackview dash cam can handle higher voltage (up to 24V?) so hopefully something will work out.

Would this connector fit?? The input isn't flat.

It's hard to tell since there is nothing in the photo to really indicate any scale. Tesla seems to use a fair amount of 2.54mm pitch connectors and so I took a guess that this might be the case here as well. But maybe not.

Im going by the actual connector in my car VS the motherboard PC type connector that black ones looks to be. Those black motherboard connectors are much smaller than the one in the car.

@FunkyJunk,

No interference with rear defroster lines on rear cam mount? On another note..... I guess it blocks WAY too much of your view to mount the front cam at the bottom front of the rear view mirror housing....looks like that would just be extremely low...didn’t realize that housing drops down so much!

Ski

No interference with the lines if you place the camera carefully and check the picture while installing. I didn't like mounting it at the bottom of the EAP sensors, but you may not mind it. I don't notice the cam much now, so this location is okay with me.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
Watching this thread. Just ordered my 750S for my coming 3. (Decided to upgrade vs just buying new wiring and mounts for the 650 I pulled out of my old car)

Will help with this project once I get my car. I am usually unafraid to take a panel pry tool to my cars even when new, so will do what I can, unless someone else has it solved in the next week. I will be removing the A pillar covers anyway for my initial route to the center console so that I can be sure to not interfere with the airbag.

Watching this thread. Just ordered my 750S for my coming 3. (Decided to upgrade vs just buying new wiring and mounts for the 650 I pulled out of my old car)

Will help with this project once I get my car. I am usually unafraid to take a panel pry tool to my cars even when new, so will do what I can, unless someone else has it solved in the next week. I will be removing the A pillar covers anyway for my initial route to the center console so that I can be sure to not interfere with the airbag.

You're the hero gotham needs. Wanna do a writeup on removing the center console, door control panels and all the other godforsaken piano black pieces so I can wrap them more cleanly, while you're at it? :D

Agree. Aftermarket solutions are not as elegant as the integrated cameras and there is so much potential with all of the cameras on the 3 (and S/X). Also very easy to steal an aftermarket if the car is broken into thereby removing the video evidence of the theft (at least with the SD models like the Blackvue I have). Being able to see what the cameras see from your Tesla phone app for example would be great assuming resolution is decent.
If/when EM enables the internal camera on the Tesla's, where do you think the videos will be stored? Not the cloud, not Tesla servers. Its going to be on flash drives. So how hard is it going to be and how long is it going to take the bad guys to learn they can also take the video clips of what they are doing when the steal the laptop, the SLR camera, the briefcase and the purse & the flash drive plugged in to the USB port. Oh wait, of course they will stop, use the laptop to see if there's break-in video and if not, remove the flash drive from the laptop and pop it back into the car's USB port because they don't want to deprive us of our music. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte