Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Not Working Check USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having this issue multiple times per day now. Usually, I can unplug and reinsert the drive to have it work again. This morning, I had to reboot the car for it to work again. I know it's silly but I feel like, the one time I don't bother to get the drive working is going to be the time I get in an accident or see something I need footage of.

I hope they patch this soon.

Reactions: Ken_Y and Lipper
For me what resolved it so far is to format the stick in your computer with exFAT but not the quick format as that didn’t work.
So far on day two and it’s still ok
An update I checked at lunch and it was still working. BTW did have to do an in car quick format after the computer format. Not sure why maybe the missing folder after the pc format with exFAT. In any case fingers crossed. Maybe a bad unmount of the drive during the last update caused some errors. here's hoping.

Reactions: Lipper
I’m in same boat. Almost every morning dashcam has red x and says error. Formatting or removing and reinserting drive solves issue.. for about a day. Started recently within last update or 2. Running 12.3.2 currently and still have issue. Using drive that Tesla supplied.

Day 2 for me after the slow format pc and quick reformat with the car. I'm still not very optimistic that it will work long term. Space is space and its just a linux operating system. The drive did show some errors initially with chkdsk so maybe it wasn't mounting all the time.

This started for us with 12.3.1 and continued with 12.3.2, which downloaded a week ago. I did several hard resets (hoping for an update with a fix) and somehow we haven't had it happen since Tuesday. Haven't tried another USB stick or reformatted. Several hundred miles of driving since with no issue. Who knows?

I did post a link to a Reddit post where someone stated that they put in a service ticket and were told that 2022.16.xxx would include a fix.

I wonder why mine has never blinked since I got the car back August of 2020. The car did not come with a drive back then so I Installed a 500gb T5. I do update all the time when available and am presently on 2022.12.3.2. Seems to be only some cars are affected other wise this would be several hundred pages long by now.

I have converted a USB drive from a MBR (Master Boot Record) partition to a GPT (GUID Partition Table) partition and am trying it as a TESLADRIVE for a possible workaround for the Dashcam Red X Error of Death. Time will tell.
Well the USB drive GPT (GUID Partition Table) partition test was an epic fail for me. After one day the dreaded Dashcam Red X of Death made an appearance!!

We have owned our 2021 MY for three months. 2022.12.3.2 was downloaded last week. The Dashcam USB unavailable occurred yesterday afternoon. Had a Sentry video on Friday morning, but by Friday afternoon the Dashcam message occurred. Used the scrolling balls to reset the computer which the Dashcam message disappeared.
I do not have a USB plugged into a USB port. Should I? What is the purpose for having a USB? Is the USB necessary? Which USB port do you use. Found ports in the console, but in the glovebox. Thanks in advance for the education.
Is there a way to mass delete older Sentry recordings?

We have owned our 2021 MY for three months. 2022.12.3.2 was downloaded last week. The Dashcam USB unavailable occurred yesterday afternoon. Had a Sentry video on Friday morning, but by Friday afternoon the Dashcam message occurred. Used the scrolling balls to reset the computer which the Dashcam message disappeared.
I do not have a USB plugged into a USB port. Should I? What is the purpose for having a USB? Is the USB necessary? Which USB port do you use. Found ports in the console, but in the glovebox. Thanks in advance for the education.
Is there a way to mass delete older Sentry recordings?
You should have a USB sticking out on the left side top of your glovebox. It's an odd shape. You wouldn't be recording at all if you didn't have it in there. The dashcam records to the usb drive. You can quick format or remove all from your safety menu.

1652573158076.png

Reactions: Pacernow