Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damming Tesla AP Video, WSJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So there is a hard coded list of objects it recognizes? That doesn't seem very scalable. What happened to occupancy network?
San Franciso residents are complaining that Autonomous Vehicles keep frozen up and block the traffic.

It takes time for the machine to recognize all objects on the roads. For example:

If it was a Tesla, it would definitely fall into the road construction hole instead of braking for it.

San Franciso residents are complaining that Autonomous Vehicles keep frozen up and block the traffic.

It takes time for the machine to recognize all objects on the roads. For example:

If it was a Tesla, it would definitely fall into the road construction hole instead of braking for it.
Tesla is not very good yet at spotting holes and sharply angled street dips.just few days ago my car on FSD hit a dip hard and knocked out my automation. But since we get regular updates I’m sure this will be handled properly at some point.FSD already is not a threat to emergency vehicles anymore because it sees and avoids nearly all obstacles now including emergency vehicles.

Yes. This is the driver's fault, thanks to the indoctrination that Robotaxi is near “full autonomy by the end of the year”. Even now, for this year, in 2023.

Indeed, a human driver is still as bad as in the old days, but how do you square that Tesla implies that its technology is not as bad as in the old days as it will not need any humans at all this year, in 2023?
I square it by, until the car can be fully trusted, it can’t be fully trusted. So drivers must pay attention.

Yes Elon should not keep push mentioning the “robotaxi by date”. It is dumb. But yet I can see how the car has improved over the years. Better he fall short of bold predictions than never make any progress. It continues to get better in the “human idiosyncrasies” like getting over slightly for large vehicles even when approaching me on a two lane road.

The way Tesla is doing this, is the best way real progress can be made. Waymo and Cruise should still have human drivers. The systems are not yet good enough. Waiting for a company to develop their product so it is “almost perfect” without the use of massive real world data, simply would never get to a good enough level.

Like any tool, when used properly, it can be a great thing. Leave it up to the few buttholes to ruin it for everyone. Emergency vehicles are hit all the time by non Tesla vehicles.

“Tens of thousands of collisions occur every year between regular drivers and police or fire vehicles.2In 2017 alone, more than 15,000 fire department vehicles were involved in collisions nationwide.3”

Read that again. OVER FIFTEEN THOUSAND COLLISIONS WITH FIRE DEPT VEHICLES IN 2017 ALONE! (Not counting police.)

As I said, this is ONLY a cash grab. Odd how many the media reports. Oh that’s right, only the few that were caused by Teslas.

The police and fire should be ecstatic that as Teslas improve to protect them, that would reduce their chances of being hit. Human drivers certainly are not improving.

This whole nonsense of people saying “but Tesla calls it autopilot or full self driving”, I find just ridiculous blather. Again, people are reminded to pay attention every single time. And when they do, the combined safety of both paying attention is safer than a human only driver.

Last edited:

And this is why even Cruise and Waymo were too early in removing their drivers. Simply not ready yet.

Tesla is doing this the right way while also giving a tool for drivers to use today, make money on FSD and improve it over time. Waymo and Cruise have just been money pits and giving driverless cars a bad rap. And no, Teslas are NOT “driverless” cars. Maybe one day but even if not, autopilot is a useful tool.