Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage from lack of refrigerant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had an unfortunate experience with Tesla so far. I received my new model 3 AWD 3 weeks ago. It was amazing and loved it. Until it developed a battery coolant leak on day 3. It was towed to the service center (4 hours away) and they replaced the super bottle. I got the car back and the very next day noticed the A/C was no longer working. The vent would only blow hot air. It took 2 painful weeks of multiple calls with roadside assistance to get the car evaluated where they finally determined there was no refrigerant based on their computer analysis. It's being towed back to the service center tonight. So apparently the interior electronics and other parts of the car have not been adequately cooled? I never had a battery temp warning. The car has been driven in the interim 200 miles and baked in the summer heat. Should I be worried about the longevity of some components? This is a brand new car that shouldn't have wear and tear yet. I'm worried and could use some insight.

It sounds like it when talking to the roadside assistance over the phone. Her tone and response was not very reassuring when I told her how much it has been driven. But she never gave a direct answer and she isn't a mechanic.

The compressor usually won’t run to cool the loop until it’s quite warm. It’s probably OK unless you were supercharging the car repeatedly. Then you’d probably throw a code and have the charging throttled. But I wouldn’t be concerned about long term damage from a potential slightly elevated temperature. Now, loosing the coolant is an issue for sure. That’s not so great.

Never supercharged, only wall charger at home. I'm thinking you're right since I never received any overheating warnings like I did with the coolant leak. She just made me very nervous with what she was saying. Thanks for your input.