Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could the Semi be able to use a 400 V Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche and Hyundai use a 400 V to 800 V boost inverter.

I assume that the Cybertruck will be able to use a Tesla V4 Supercharger (1kV) as long as a Tesla V3 Supercharger (400V).

So I wonder if the Semi would be able to use also a 400 V Supercharger, as previous snapshots of Semi prototypes showed it.

This would allow Tesla Semis to be use anywhere and not just between fleet depots with V4 Superchargers.

Porsche and Hyundai use a 400 V to 800 V boost inverter.

I assume that the Cybertruck will be able to use a Tesla V4 Supercharger (1kV) as long as a Tesla V3 Supercharger (400V).

So I wonder if the Semi would be able to use also a 400 V Supercharger, as previous snapshots of Semi prototypes showed it.

This would allow Tesla Semis to be use anywhere and not just between fleet depots with V4 Superchargers.
We have seen them use more than one supercharger stall at once to charge the Semi. I wonder if they have a way to use the two ports via the adapter to have them in series.

Cybertrucks will have the same architecture, and Cybertrucks are not a product if they cannot charge on V3.
Drive-through spots are essential for Cybertruck and othert, but they already exist, and Tesla needs a lot more for Cybertrucks.

Especially if they go with NACS. There would be insane synergy effects if they do. But they can go with multiple cable, too. (Adapters are probably not a good idea at that power level)

I would think they would; I just don't see the Semi using the current V3 network. There would be some instances of them blocking the entire station, possibly well in excess of 2 hours or more. Plus unhitching any trailer and the worry with many sites about where to park it. Plus cord length, adapter issues.....
I can see Tesla selling 2 or 4 stall V3 stations custom built at customers facilities, on islands and with longer cords. For those who don't quite need megachargers. But my guess is that it's going to be a while before we see the Tesla Semi being able to perform long haul cross country trips on a regular basis.
Now could it be a immediately phenomenonal product for Tesla? Absolutely. There is still huge demand for day hauling. Shorter trips.

But my guess is that it's going to be a while before we see the Tesla Semi being able to perform long haul cross country trips on a regular basis.

Agreed. My guess is that Tesla had that figured out well before Elon took to the stage to announce the semi. He knows how to crawl/walk/run (e.g. roadster, s&x, 3&y). I know little of the trucking industry, but I would think the market for out-and-back for companies with dedicated cargo on well known routes, like with Pepsi or Tesla between favorites) is quite large. If they converted only that space to EV it would still be a measurable dent in CO2 and good revenue.

Meanwhile they can gain experience supporting the owners, iterate on drive trains, and figure out how to get chargers into truck stops. And then target owners interested in cross country.

I would guess that the Semi needs to be able to handle lower voltage charging, so that every businesses which buys a Tesla Semi won't have to install an expensive 1000V charger. Big companies like Pepsi and FritoLay can afford to install Megachargers on their premises, but most small businesses can't, so I expect that Tesla has a lower voltage charging option for the truck.

I assume that the Megachargers require a special voltage from the standard 13.8 kV power line, so they require a different step-down drum transformer, which has to be expensive to get from the power company.

I’m betting not, since what matters now is low weight, range and reliability. As Elon said “the best part is no part” That’s also why they went from 4 to 3 motors and probably won’t have AC charging.

Source?

that’s one heavy converter if it needs to handle hundreds of kW. I thought they just divided the battery in half but please enlighten me.
The Taycan came standard with a 50kW 400v to 800v DC-DC converter, you had to pay an extra, ~$500 if I recall correctly, to upgrade to the one that could handle 150kW.

I'm not sure about Hyundai, but I thought I heard that they used the rear motor inverter to handle that job. (But maybe I am remembering wrong.)

From Porsche: Porsche Charging all-electric Porsche models quickly and easily. - Porsche USA

1671487583689.png

³ Only with option KM2 On-board 150 kW/400V DC Charger, otherwise 400V chargers will charge at 50kW

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The Taycan came standard with a 50kW 400v to 800v DC-DC converter, you had to pay an extra, ~$500 if I recall correctly, to upgrade to the one that could handle 150kW.

I'm not sure about Hyundai, but I thought I heard that they used the rear motor inverter to handle that job. (But maybe I am remembering wrong.)

From Porsche: Porsche Charging all-electric Porsche models quickly and easily. - Porsche USA
You’re right. it looks like it has a booster instead of half packs.