Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to Borrow Tesla Shares for Shorting Hits 85%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
luvb2b, any thoughts on your post from a couple days ago in light of the sales press release from 3/31?

on who the shorts are, i suspect there are a number of hedge funds and long/short equity funds that are in the name. that's because on fundamental metrics tesla is a disaster. roe is negative, p/e is non-existent, price/book is off the charts, debt/equity is high, revenues had been non-existent. any computer model would look at such a stock and say it's going to be game over there soon. even though the short positions are large relative to the float, 32 million shares at $38 = $1.2 billion. a dozen large hedge funds ($5 billion+) that shorted $100 million of tesla could account for the entire amount and yet maintain less than a 2% portfolio weighting. the short charges will matter to them, but they will probably hope there's some normalization in those high costs.

the short positions are quite logical. especially after the last earnings report. on the last call, production had fallen far short of estimates. margins on the most expensive models were miserable. and we know generally this management has had expectations of production that have always been too optimistic. so when they said, "4500 units, mid-teens gross margin, breakeven non-gaap & cash flow", even i had doubts. heck i can confess to selling part of my position because i couldn't figure out the math they were sharing based on their q4 report. then shortly after that the 10-k is delayed? oh my god as a short you had to be salivating, you'd probably add to your position. which they did. a lot. and the short interest jumped by 5 million shares in a month. it was very fortunate for us longs that the 10-k was delayed, because imo the shorts really pressed their bets too hard during that time.

but then the 10-k came out, and the mystery is solved. $15000+ in credits per vehicle, and with that much in excess profit, all of the math works just fine. everything makes sense. but who would have expected the credits were that high? not one article i read had ever predicted anything above $5000-7000 per car.

that was just the recent increase in short interest. now think about a few of these questions for a few moments, and after a while you start to wonder why would tesla succeed?

1. what's the last automaker that started from scratch and became profitable and successful in the usa? how many years has that been? how many have tried and failed? if i remember correctly the answer in the last fifty years is zero have succeeded.

2. even looking at the ones that are successful, what kind of profits do they generate, what are their earnings multiples? ford has a p/e of 10 and toyota a p/e of 15. at this time it's hard to imagine that next year tesla generates $2+ in eps to justify a $30+ stock price.

3. look at the short history on http://www.tesla-short-interest.us . 2/3rds of the shorts have been around since the early days, when it wasn't even clear if tesla could make it to manufacturing this car. the company ipo'd as basically a one-product company with a concept. wall street is littered with carcasses of companies that started like that.

4. as all the critics point out, tesla's book value has steadily eroded, cash flows have historically been highly negative, working capital was in question. how many companies in a condition like this attain critical velocity to break up and out of the downward spiral? frankly it's not that many.

5. now think about the one time risks. imagine a product fire like fiskar had. or a major safety issue with the battery pack. or a structural defect with the frame. or stuck pedals like toyota. remember all the stuff that tesla is using is all new. any one major failure could be a significant dent to their reputation. and when you're burning $90m in cash each quarter with only $200m in the bank, well you just don't have a lot of room to have such mistakes. as a short you could even bet that heck there would be one major issue somewhere, that a startup couldn't possibly go from zero to perfect production. as a shareholder, that's the main thing i worry about when i go to bed each night: a major recall / product defect.

6. even if tesla executes everything else perfectly, what if the economy turns down or interest rates shoot up? luxury car sales have always fallen off a cliff in those circumstances. tesla would have a very hard time surviving another economic rough patch.

7. prior to model s, which electric cars have gained enough traction to make it seem like industry is viable at all? none. the safe bet would be the trend will continue, the shorts would say.

i'm sure you could think of many more logical reasons to be short tesla based on numerical data and historical precedent.

it's very difficult to quantify the drive and passion of a ceo and employees who are hell-bent on achieving a mission. imagine if you had a ceo who was paid to lead tesla, not leading tesla to achieve a personal mission? would you be as interested in the company?

here's the latest updated history.

02-APR-13 -85.00% <--- not finalized yet, but a new record if it holds!
01-APR-13 -83.00%
31-MAR-13 -84.45%
30-MAR-13 -84.45%
29-MAR-13 -84.45%
28-MAR-13 -82.66%
27-MAR-13 -77.29%
26-MAR-13 -85.35%
25-MAR-13 -75.84%
24-MAR-13 -60.69%
23-MAR-13 -60.69%
22-MAR-13 -59.51%
21-MAR-13 -54.77%
20-MAR-13 -49.85%
19-MAR-13 -49.04%
18-MAR-13 -44.88%
17-MAR-13 -43.94%

here's the latest updated history.

02-APR-13 -85.00% <--- not finalized yet, but a new record if it holds!
01-APR-13 -83.00%
31-MAR-13 -84.45%
30-MAR-13 -84.45%
29-MAR-13 -84.45%
28-MAR-13 -82.66%
27-MAR-13 -77.29%
26-MAR-13 -85.35%
25-MAR-13 -75.84%
24-MAR-13 -60.69%
23-MAR-13 -60.69%
22-MAR-13 -59.51%
21-MAR-13 -54.77%
20-MAR-13 -49.85%
19-MAR-13 -49.04%
18-MAR-13 -44.88%
17-MAR-13 -43.94%
I don't understand why the cost to borrow is so high. With so many shares traded yesterday, and such a big jump in price, you would think that people would start cashing out some of their profits and selling some of their holdings, or letting the short sellers borrow the stock.

I don't understand why the cost to borrow is so high. With so many shares traded yesterday, and such a big jump in price, you would think that people would start cashing out some of their profits and selling some of their holdings, or letting the short sellers borrow the stock.

A share that is lent to someone else for shorting cannot be sold (otherwise, what does it mean to borrow it?). So if I sell my shares, either they were not lent at all or somehow I just got them back. As the share price is soaring, shorts will split into two camps: those who are scared / stopped out and cover and the others who perceive it as a good opportunity to short more (and hope to get longs scared). In any case, the more people selling their shares to take profits, the harder is for shorts to borrow them to sell short.

A share that is lent to someone else for shorting cannot be sold (otherwise, what does it mean to borrow it?). So if I sell my shares, either they were not lent at all or somehow I just got them back. As the share price is soaring, shorts will split into two camps: those who are scared / stopped out and cover and the others who perceive it as a good opportunity to short more (and hope to get longs scared). In any case, the more people selling their shares to take profits, the harder is for shorts to borrow them to sell short.

and if you are told by your broker you are free to sell your loaned shares anytime- that's common practice at the broker level; Nicu's description is still accurate, loaned shares can't be sold, but typically the broker develops a pool so those that want to sell immediately can, then the broker replenishes the pool or take other action to accommodate the sell order.

Nicu, is this an urban myth or is this true? : I've heard that if you put a limit order to sell on your stock, your broker cannot take your shares and lend them out. If it's true, then another way to shrink the supply of shares available to lend out for short sales would be to put limit sell orders on shares you own.

Yeah, total myth. Your broker agreement to lend your shares pays you interest. if you sign that agreement, then choose to sell loaned shares, limit or market, the sale simply removes them from your interest return. There's no differentiation in how you sell them and before your shares are even lent, you must sign an agreement with your broker explaining all of that. Caveat, there may be some smaller brokers that require a time period to sell the loaned shares, but the majors allow sale anytime via the short pools I described above

cost of shorting still elevated... it's costing the shorts 60c a week now to stay short. that's why we're starting to see the naked shorting taking place that i described yesterday. when the sec fails-to-deliver data is finally released i'm sure we'll see lots of failures to deliver too.

03-APR-13 -84.98% <--- not finalized yet, but a new record if it holds!
02-APR-13 -82.25%
01-APR-13 -83.00%
31-MAR-13 -84.45%
30-MAR-13 -84.45%
29-MAR-13 -84.45%
28-MAR-13 -82.66%
27-MAR-13 -77.29%
26-MAR-13 -85.35%
25-MAR-13 -75.84%
24-MAR-13 -60.69%
23-MAR-13 -60.69%
22-MAR-13 -59.51%
21-MAR-13 -54.77%
20-MAR-13 -49.85%
19-MAR-13 -49.04%
18-MAR-13 -44.88%
17-MAR-13 -43.94%

I don't understand why the cost to borrow is so high.

something not well understood about tesla is that it is basically a low float stock. start adding up the key "core" holders of the stock, those who are unlikely to sell any time soon:

elon musk 27.2 million
+fidelity 17 million
+daimler 4.9 million
+toyota 2.9 million
+panasonic 1.4 million
=============
53.4 million shares total with tight hands

114.5 million shares outstanding
- 53.4 million in tight hands
======================
61.1 million shares in the float

with 32 million shares shorted, it means that there is demand for 50% more shares than exist today.

when you look at institutional holdings ex-fidelity, that number is 58.9 million shares. meaning, anyone who wants to borrow shares is as at the mercy of the institutions to secure inventory. some of the institutions i know aren't allowed to loan their shares. some won't loan them. some will loan them but only if they are well paid.

assuming tesla can keep executing, i'm pretty sure we'll see days of extreme pain for the shorts. 25 million shares traded the last three days. a lot of new investors in the fray i'm sure. but that 25 million shares is 40% of the available float! hopefully some of these shares found their way into strong hands.

- - - Updated - - -

cost of shorting still above 80%. there's finally shares available to short, first time that's happened in a couple days.

04-APR-13 -84.47% <--- not finalized yet
03-APR-13 -82.24%
02-APR-13 -82.25%
01-APR-13 -83.00%
31-MAR-13 -84.45%
30-MAR-13 -84.45%
29-MAR-13 -84.45%
28-MAR-13 -82.66%
27-MAR-13 -77.29%
26-MAR-13 -85.35%
25-MAR-13 -75.84%
24-MAR-13 -60.69%
23-MAR-13 -60.69%
22-MAR-13 -59.51%
21-MAR-13 -54.77%
20-MAR-13 -49.85%
19-MAR-13 -49.04%
18-MAR-13 -44.88%
17-MAR-13 -43.94%

25 million shares traded the last three days. a lot of new investors in the fray i'm sure. but that 25 million shares is 40% of the available float! hopefully some of these shares found their way into strong hands.

...of course, this does not mean that 40% of the float changed hands. There would be a significant component of daytrading with fast cycle times, so whether 10%, 20%, 30% or 39% of the float was in play is anyone's guess.

shorts got some relief.
06-APR-13 -57.34% <-- not finalized yet
05-APR-13 -60.92%
04-APR-13 -75.23%
03-APR-13 -82.24%
02-APR-13 -82.25%
01-APR-13 -83.00%
31-MAR-13 -84.45%
30-MAR-13 -84.45%
29-MAR-13 -84.45%
28-MAR-13 -82.66%
27-MAR-13 -77.29%
26-MAR-13 -85.35%
25-MAR-13 -75.84%
24-MAR-13 -60.69%
23-MAR-13 -60.69%
22-MAR-13 -59.51%
21-MAR-13 -54.77%
20-MAR-13 -49.85%
19-MAR-13 -49.04%
18-MAR-13 -44.88%
17-MAR-13 -43.94%

note source is interactive brokers

Last edited:
correct blake. it's not always direct but the most likely scenario is some short covered. you may also have had a large institution join the lending pool.

i'm sure some of the shorts have used the 10+% drop from the highs to cover positions. shorts have been on a media blitz lately. they usually do this when they get more desperate, calling reporters and alerting them to the "story". most reporters aren't too creative; they need this kind of "information" to develop "original" content.

look at the recent news flow. i left out all the negative stuff about customer financing, which i agree was overhyped but is also necessary to increase demand. cnbc dissed it, even the guy who assigned to be the bull said he "wouldn't by the stock with your money". bloomberg cory johnson has been dumping on it incessantly. add benzinga, ft, and a several analysts that had negative comments after they announced an earnings beat to the mix. i added one positive article below, because it's a video with a customer interview. the guy absolutely loves it.

i don't mind seeing all this negative news, as usually it means expectations are pretty toned down among the big investors. the ft article i linked below is really pretty great at highlighting the negativity: "The consensus is that Tesla will need to sell at least 35,000 of its flagship Model S sedans a year to be sustainable... Deutsche Bank estimates that 35,000 units will not be reached until 2015. Tesla shares now trade at above 10 times 2015 estimates of operating cash flow. With that kind of valuation based on results that are at least two years away, there is plenty of time for Tesla’s shares to plunge back down to earth." where do they get this stuff?

"Tesla's Fundamental Flaw"
http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-rat...teslas-fundamental-flaw-no-ones-talking-about

"Tesla Poised to Stall"
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000159284&__source=yahoo|headline|quote|video|&par=yahoo

"Tesla Defying Gravity" (also ran in ft / lex)
http://nicosiamoneynews.com/2013/04/05/tesla-motors-defying-gravity/

"Tesla Urged Customers to Make Q1 Targets"
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesl...umbers-Mz772B04RaSbBhGKFxHoMQ.html?cmpid=yhoo

"Tesa Turns Profitable But Won't Say How"
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesl...ay-how-0d2s1TXpRCq1Zp5CWcJ4wA.html?cmpid=yhoo

"Model S Technology is 'Amazing', Humes Says"
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesl...s-says-OKpOYTJpSDGV2e7JWkCO1g.html?cmpid=yhoo

look at the recent news flow. i left out all the negative stuff about customer financing, which i agree was overhyped but is also necessary to increase demand. cnbc dissed it, even the guy who assigned to be the bull said he "wouldn't by the stock with your money". bloomberg cory johnson has been dumping on it incessantly. add benzinga, ft, and a several analysts that had negative comments after they announced an earnings beat to the mix. i added one positive article below, because it's a video with a customer interview. the guy absolutely loves it.

i don't mind seeing all this negative news, as usually it means expectations are pretty toned down among the big investors. [...]

I absolutely agree with your opinions here that the news coverage has been overly negative and always very suspicious whenever there is undisputable progress/good news. Of course on forums like this there can be a tendency towards being overly positive, but the level of analyzis and insight on this forum is actually very high. So with all this in mind I feel that when these overly negative reports come flooding you have to just keep your calm and believe in your own analyzis and valuation togheter with the valuation of other people you respect (many of the board members here including you luvb2b) and in a way be thankful that others have not yet been able to understand the potential of TSLA.

Also luvb2b thanks for giving me the final push in to starting some careful option trading in TSLA.

oh my god lol. please don't blame me for that! if you do it long enough i can almost guarantee you won't be thanking me. :scared:

Don't sweat it, I'm and adult and I will take responsibility for my own actions. I realize it's all gambling, but I like to think that in this particular case I may actually know/understand TSLA better than many of the other players. If I was to bet on sports and for some reason I had good reason to believe that I knew something vital about the game or one of the key players that was not publically known and was likely to influence the outcome of the game in a major way, I guess the reverse question is why wouldn't I bet some money (money I can afford to lose)?

Don't sweat it, I'm and adult and I will take responsibility for my own actions. I realize it's all gambling, but I like to think that in this particular case I may actually know/understand TSLA better than many of the other players. ...

I would certainly not count on that. There are "other players" with millions worth of TSLA who are spending tens of thousands analyzing the stock using tools and data that we simply can't expect to match regardless of how many posts you read on TMC.

There is a tendency on this board for people to get over-exuberant and easily dismiss much of the TSLA down side. Not saying you shouldn't invest, just don't get too caught up in the hype on TMC to ignore your own (and Tesla's) weaknesses.

The consensus is that Tesla will need to sell at least 35,000 of its flagship Model S sedans a year to be sustainable.

Consensus of who? It's the first time I hear such a claim. Maybe it's coming from Deutsche Bank, but how can they put forward such a claim without putting some reasoning behind it?

Some ratings by Deutsche Bank I found in a quick search:

--------------
August 9th, 2010, Deutsche Bank initiated coverage of TSLA with "hold" and a target of $17
http://www.streetinsider.com/New+Coverage/Deutsche+Bank+Starts+Tesla+Motors+(TSLA)+at+Hold,+$17+Price+Target/5876175.html
(Though saying a few positive things). Just a few months later, Nov 2012, TSLA peaked at $35, and a year later, share prices were mostly around $25 to $30.

January 17, 2012: "Deutsche Bank maintains its Hold rating and $24 price target on Tesla Motors, which closed Friday at $22.79."
Deutsche Bank Maintains Hold on Tesla Motors after Peter Rawlinson Departure | Benzinga
(12 months later, price was around $35)

December 3, 2012: "Analysts at Deutsche Bank Securities reiterate their HOLD rating on the shares of Tesla Motors, Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA). The 12-month target price is set to $28.
Deutsche Bank Securities Reiterates HOLD Rating on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) | Finance Enquiry - Latest Analyst Ratings - Market News
(Less than 12 month ago)

Feb 2013 they issue a "hold" with a target of $35.
Deutsche Bank Maintains Hold on Tesla Motors, Inc., Raises PT to $35.00 | Benzinga

Meanwhile, two months later, we've been at $46 and are currently moving above $41.
---------------

It appears that while Deutsche Bank kept saying nice things about Tesla, they had a "hold" rating for years and were plainly wrong with their price targets.

No reason to give weight to their predictions in matters Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, watch this to see Cory Johnson try to spin Tesla's profitability into something negatively charged:

Tesla Turns Profitable But How Did They Do It?: Video - Bloomberg