Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corded mobile connector back in stock at Tesla shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm talking about the CMC, the Corded Mobile Connector (the permanent 14-50 which does 40A). I have two UMCv2 adapters, one from each car ;) But I would totally the the CMC if it ever came back in stock to leave in the garage permanently on my 14-50, IMO it's the best option short of a WC (and, actually, IMO it's better, because I like the flexibility of being on a 14-50 vs a permanent hardwire install, sacrificing only 8 extra amps, 40A vs 48A). Thanks!
TIL this even existed. LOL. BUT...in my 100amp dedicated circuit detached garage. WIth two (smallish) HVAC units for the house + two 240v outlets (one for each Tesla), 32amps may have to be enough for now.

And no..Im not going to do a calculation to see if it would be ok, or even to see if my existing setup (thats been working fine for two years) is safe or not. lol

TIL this even existed. LOL. BUT...in my 100amp dedicated circuit detached garage. WIth two (smallish) HVAC units for the house + two 240v outlets (one for each Tesla), 32amps may have to be enough for now.

And no..Im not going to do a calculation to see if it would be ok, or even to see if my existing setup (thats been working fine for two years) is safe or not. lol
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but you're totally fine w/ 240V@32A unless your use case it something like driving the car for Uber (I'm assuming this is not the case; I'm using it to illustrate an extreme). I am fine with two Teslas on 240V@32A!

The only reason I'm looking at a WC is kinda silly, but the cord barely reaches the second car in my preferred parking direction for it (chargeport toward end of garage). I am also experiencing some heat throttling with the UMCv2, Tesla Mobile Service just came and replaced the unit that came with the July 2021 MY7, a unit that worked 100% fine last summer (same location, same garage, same 14-50, same car, same Texas summer temperatures) but this summer started thermal throttling. I log all my charges and am currently engineering a solution that will turn on a fan automatically when the car starts charging (to be used in the summer months, when my garage can get to 98-104F). I am first letting the new brick run w/o the fan just to make sure it's good, then once I know it's good I will add the air cooling just to help it stay that way. Since lots of things are happening and might change with charging in a year's time, I'm hoping I can get thru this summer w/ the UMCv2 so I avoid getting the WC and revisit the decision next spring, either get a WC then or maybe some CCS solutions will be popular by then (although only one of my two Teslas has CCS support :( — the aforementioned July 2021 MY7 inexplicably doesn't).

If you look at the manual link for the regular mobile connector the cover page shows it labeled as a Gen2 mobile connector and does show a max output of 32 amp, depending upon the connector that is used.

I agree that this corded version is showing max output of 40 amps, but the cover does not make any reference to Gen2. One could infer from this that this corded version is more akin to the original Gen1 UMC. In that case it's an interesting distinction between the corded and 'standard' UMC with pigtail.

Or it's just a typo in the manual that noone at Tesla caught !
I’ve been trying to get the corded connector for months. It’s showing out of stock. Any other suggestions?

Wasn't the gen 1 connectors prone to overheating and potential fires? If so, maybe wait for the gen2 UMC to be available as a backup.
Maybe. I had the plug on my gen1 UMC melt on me. There is no thermistor in the gen1 adapter so it will cheerfully keep delivering power until the increased resistance heats things up enough to melt the plug and receptacle together. Eventually the car will throw an error that the charging equipment has a problem and refuse to charge, but not until the receptacle and plug look like this:

20220302_211915.jpg

20220302_211910.jpg

Note however that this was the "famous" Leviton 14-50 receptacle that had numerous failures out there - some of which are documented here. This failure occurred after about 29 months of charging @ 40A. It was semi-permanently installed with the UMC "brick" mounted to the wall so there was good strain relief. I unplugged it only 3 or 4 times in that 29 months.

All that said, also note that the manual for the corded mobile connector linked here references a "Plug thermal error" that the connector can throw, so Tesla probably put a thermistor in the plug to help avoid this same type of failure.