Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting 110 outlets for home charging ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PG&E gave us $500 but they just wanted to see that we had an EV. You get it whether or not you install a charging station. (I've got a HPWC on 60a for what it's worth)

So Cal Edison here, we got $450 per EV (Wife and I each got one), plus they paid the installation after we supplied them with the receipt and the installers license number. So it pays to check in, each one is going to offer different incentives, if any at all.

So I am in a similar situation as those that have posted about this topic. I am looking to charge my car on a 110V outdoor outlet. I do not have a garage, but a carport. If I plug in the supplied charger, does it lock onto the car? Just asking so that someone walking by at night would not be able to just unplug the charger from the car.

So I am in a similar situation as those that have posted about this topic. I am looking to charge my car on a 110V outdoor outlet. I do not have a garage, but a carport. If I plug in the supplied charger, does it lock onto the car? Just asking so that someone walking by at night would not be able to just unplug the charger from the car.

Yes it locks in, though the 12" plug adapter on the end you put into the wall can be removed and stolen. (obviously they can also cut the wire and steal most of it just for the copper if they want)

Note that the Tesla's I think now UNLOCK when done charging if the weather is cold due to a bad design on their charging ports. I see this as a bug and Tesla should design a new part and replace the existing ones personally.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes it locks in, though the 12" plug adapter on the end you put into the wall can be removed and stolen. (obviously they can also cut the wire and steal most of it just for the copper if they want)

Note that the Tesla's I think now UNLOCK when done charging if the weather is cold due to a bad design on their charging ports. I see this as a bug and Tesla should design a new part and replace the existing ones personally.

Either they stopped unlocking when complete or they only do that when it’s very cold. Mine has stayed locked after charge complete lately. But for a while during the winter it was unlocking.

good question, I'll look. the house is SO old there's literally like 5 breakers in the whole panel, so I can't imagine those outlets are on their own. That said, if you're saying I might be OK with the regular outlet's that's GREAT! I've read though that as far as efficiency goes its a killer for the power bill. Not sure if that makes sense or my understanding is way off. Also, I'd love to keep my cable(s) in the car for charging so this means buying a 2nd set of cables correct? [~$500]?
==========
I charge from a regular 120 volt outlet in the carport with no problem. Then I unplug and put the cable in the trunk.

Lucky for me I live in Phoenix and have SRP for a power company and they give a special rate to people with electric cars. Depending on the time of day I pay as little as 5 cents per KWh or 7 cents or 14 cents.

Much cheaper than gasoline. Even if my batter was completely exhausted and I was paying 14 cents per KWH it would cost me less than $10 to completely charge. I plug it into a circuit I installed for Xmas lites and it is on an industrial timer so I can set it to NOT CHARGE during the most expensive time.

I am looking at getting a M3 soon as was wondering about charging at home. I have access to free charging at work so would like to use that but in the case I charge at home. I also happen to have 2x 20 amp 120v and 2x 20 amp 240v outlets for brewing in my garage.

I have ready in this thread about efficiency of the transfer and that 120 is less efficient, meaning for the power consumed, a smaller percentage is getting to the battery.

How is that, so in my case, should I just stick with getting a 6-20 adapter and forget the 5-20 or 5-15. 15 MPH charge rate sounds like more than plenty for my needs at home.

I am looking at getting a M3 soon as was wondering about charging at home. I have access to free charging at work so would like to use that but in the case I charge at home. I also happen to have 2x 20 amp 120v and 2x 20 amp 240v outlets for brewing in my garage.

I have ready in this thread about efficiency of the transfer and that 120 is less efficient, meaning for the power consumed, a smaller percentage is getting to the battery.

How is that, so in my case, should I just stick with getting a 6-20 adapter and forget the 5-20 or 5-15. 15 MPH charge rate sounds like more than plenty for my needs at home.
If you have a 6-20 outlet available, buy that adapter. Don't bother to spend money on a 5-20 adapter. The car will come with the Mobile Connector and 14-50 and 5-15 plugs.
The car has some charging overhead like running coolant pumps. Those pumps run the whole time the car is charging. So, the longer it takes to charge the car, the more energy is consumed running those overhead items.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Two issues: One, during charging the cooling pumps and computers have to run. This is fixed loss that reduces power to the battery. The other is that the rectifier is probably slightly less efficient at 120v vs 240v.

I would go get the 6-20 all day long over a 5-15 or 5-20.

Personally, if easy, I would probably do a 6-50 or 14-50, but the 6-20 will do pretty well for you and is only $35.

Two issues: One, during charging the cooling pumps and computers have to run. This is fixed loss that reduces power to the battery. The other is that the rectifier is probably slightly less efficient at 120v vs 240v.

I would go get the 6-20 all day long over a 5-15 or 5-20.

Personally, if easy, I would probably do a 6-50 or 14-50, but the 6-20 will do pretty well for you and is only $35.

If you have a 6-20 outlet available, buy that adapter. Don't bother to spend money on a 5-20 adapter. The car will come with the Mobile Connector and 14-50 and 5-15 plugs.
The car has some charging overhead like running coolant pumps. Those pumps run the whole time the car is charging. So, the longer it takes to charge the car, the more energy is consumed running those overhead items.

Thank you, that make sense so it doesn't matter what you are connected with, there is standard draws from the car so a moderate pace will help reduce the overall draw.

But from a electricity from the grid standpoint, is the 240 more efficient than 120 at putting AC > DC or is it more complicated than that.

I think the 240V is more efficient pushing charge into the battery, not inherently in the AC>DC conversion. But I second the motion on the 6-20. That is what I have at my home away from home and it is more than sufficient. The only time it wouldn't be is if I was depleting the entire battery every day and had no superchargers anywhere I went. Both things don't happen.