Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confusion over Rear-wheel drive acceleration times (2021 vs 2022)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla advertises the 0-100 km/h acceleration time of the 2021 SR model as 5.6 seconds, while the 2022 RWD as 6.1 seconds.

This is a graph that someone sent me, where someone measured the torque during acceleration of the 3D7 motor (the one used in 2022 RWD) - in gray color, against the 3D1 motor (the one used in the 2021 SR) - in yellow color. I don't know how these measurements were performed, but from these measurements this guy claims that the torque of the 2021 SR is constant from 0-100 km/h, so the acceleration speed should be constant too from 0-100 km/h.

torque.JPG

This is a 0-100 km/h test that was recently done between between the 2022 6.1 seconds to the 2021 5.6 seconds Tesla model 3:

In this this, the difference between the 2022 and 2021 model 3 was exactly 0.5 seconds, as Tesla advertises (so I think this test is valid to show the differences between these two models), BUT, when you look closely, you discover two weird things:
1. The 2022 Tesla is faster between 60-100 km/h than the 2021 Tesla
2. After 1/8 mile, the 2022 Tesla is at a higher speed than the 2021 Tesla

The thing that I don't understand is, the torque graph that I showed above claims that the 2021 tesla motor has constant torque between 0-100 km/h, so how come in real life it seems that from 0-60 km/h it has higher torque, and from 60-100 km/h it has lower torque?

Interesting info and videos for someone who wants to watch or is still performence stats oriented (with trims/models ment for anything but performance, track, auto-x, etc use).

Tesla has mix and matched motor configurations, software restrictions on the Model 3/Y range since their inception. And things only got more convoluted with the advent of the next batch of Giga-factories around the globe, regional vs export/global configurations, changes in their Toolbox software user privileges and setting access.

It all boils down to too many variables from car to car, even for the same exact manufacture origin and date.

NB - even modern load-bearing dynamometers, hydro-kinetic or else are of course just a tool and not great for car to car comparisons... worse when their software is dated or mis-configured and worst when the operator is not any good. I should know, I used to design and sell them in a past life.

Take their readouts with a huge grain of salt.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Was state of charge identical in all of these tests?
As state of charge gets lower the battery pack won't be able to fully load the motors at as high of a speed.
Yes, the sate of charge was exactly 71% for both cars. Moreover, both of these models were LFP, where state of charge has negligible effect on performance.
NB - even modern load-bearing dynamometers, hydro-kinetic or else are of course just a tool and not great for car to car comparisons... worse when their software is dated or mis-configured and worst when the operator is not any good. I should know, I used to design and sell them in a past life.

Take their readouts with a huge grain of salt.
Interesting...

Depending on when the 2021 was built it could have the NCA battery or the LFP battery
Both of the cars were LFP...