Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed... Model 3 will have ludicrous mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford added bunch of aluminum to their pickup, and Chevrolet added a bunch to their Corvette.

The Ford is not lighter than it's steel competitors, and neither is the Corvette.

Steel alloys and manufacturing improve constantly.

Another example would be KTM. KTM is sticking with steel alloy while their competition is aluminum now. The KTM is lighter in many cases.

And note what the weight is on the Model S/X. Those are heavy vehicles when compared to V8 large steel cars.

Aluminum was magic in the auto industry 10 years ago, but has since lost most it's edge.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Nixx and Lunarx
Imagine how much better performance would be if M3 were all Aluminium.
Imagine how much better performance would be if the unibody were carbon composite? Now imagine the cost and it's a moot argument.

To be a little more pedantic, what really matters for performance is weight, moment of inertia, and stiffness. We won't likely get any quantifiable information on the latter two, but we will eventually be told the weight. The 3 PxxDL could be a 4200 lb car or a 3800 lb car and those will perform very differently.

'cannibalizing sales'... Not that the 3 could, for another 4(ish) years, it is sold out.
This is not entirely accurate: I have friend with a Model S whose already made a Model 3 deposit as he does not wish to own the S after the warranty expires. Had the 3 not been introduced, I'm quite sure he would have gone with another S or X to replace it. This qualifies as a cannibalized sale.

That being said, I agree with you, and greatly appreciate, that Tesla has Silicon Vally DNA in their business ethos rather than Detroit DNA.

This is not entirely accurate: I have friend with a Model S whose already made a Model 3 deposit as he does not wish to own the S after the warranty expires. Had the 3 not been introduced, I'm quite sure he would have gone with another S or X to replace it. This qualifies as a cannibalized sale.

That being said, I agree with you, and greatly appreciate, that Tesla has Silicon Vally DNA in their business ethos rather than Detroit DNA.

Right. Already has a reservation. Not, is thinking of putting in a reservation. People who want ludicrous mode aren't exactly the patient type, waiting 3-4 years to get their go-mobile, makes the difference between $83k and $119k seem surmountable.

Thank you kindly.

Ok I have a screen shot of it but I cannot edit the original post anymore. Not sure how to do that...

I'm not a mod in this section, but I'll add the pic here and request the local mod to edit first post as well.

upload_2016-4-30_14-3-0.png

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
Fast acceleration is certainly helpful. However, there are a number of other components such as tires, suspension, braking, and endurance which factor into competitive performance. Road course times are a good metric when evaluating sports car performance.

considering its size (wheelbase) and (optional) adjustable air suspension, I would imagine a 3 will be able to hold its own on Autocross.

only question I may have for current Model S drivers:

is "strong regen" almost as good as downshifting would be in an ICE?

can you one-pedal a Tesla through an Autocross course?

Reactions: Red Sage
Autocross courses being short and low speed, I would agree. However, I was referring to a real race track like Nurburgring or Laguna Seca.

probably depends on the course then.

if it's a tighter course, like an F1 city-style course, then I see the Model 3 easily holding its own with other ICE's in its "class" (in quotes because comparing EVs and ICEs is going to be a little awkward, it's mostly going to be a size and price category comparison).

anything with long straightaways will likely be a win for the ICE. I'd still like to see a Model 3 vs. A4 vs. BMW M3 street course shootout. put a Model 3 PXXD-L up against the 2 ICEs....could be fun,

Reactions: Lunarx and Red Sage
For instance some people have said that the model 3 will is prismatic cells instead of the cylindical cells. My understanding is that ludicrous option replaces the fuse that connects each cell so the model 3 will only need a few of those fuses compare to the 7000+ fuses in the model S. Also the capacity of the model 3 packs is less again therefore less cell = less fuses.

The next generation Tesla/Panasonic cells that are to be produced at the gigafactory will still be cylindrical, but will be slightly larger in size and have a newer chemistry. No prismatic cells.

IIRC the Tesla battery cells, unlike the standard Panasonic cells used in laptops, do not have individual fuses. This is because Tesla controls thermal/current runaway at the module level, and it allows the cells to be cheaper.

There is a single fuse that is replaced in the Model S to enable Ludicrous mode. It is for the entire battery, and they use a "solid state" fuse that monitors the current and is blown with an igniter. This enables the pack to output a maximum of 1500A rather than the previous 1300A.

I have probably given demonstration "launches" to at least 100 first time Tesla passengers in my 2015 Model S P85D(L) and only two (2) out of that 100+ have been made "sick" or shaky from the acceleration. To me, it has become "normal" though I do NOT stomp it all the way except at the Drag Strip or for these very short demo launch experiences. OTOH, having that power is wonderful ANYTIME one wants to pass or move into the flow on an onramp.

I have a Model 3 deposit, as I would like a smaller, more compact, car, but I would NOT accept any Model 3 with less acceleration performance than my current upgraded P85D (now with L).

Considering the car is lighter do you think it might have equal 0-60 time of the Model S? Or faster or slower? I am hoping faster. Part of me says it won't because they won't want to cannibalize the model s sales but it is a more cramped car so the model s will sell to those who want a larger car so maybe the model 3 can get away with being faster. Kind of like comparing a 76x BMW to a M4. The M4 is faster but the 76x is more for the larger comfort market.
How can something that sells 500,000 units per year cannibalize the sales of something that moves 50,000 units per year...? The Model S will maintain the same sales pattern, while those for Lexus, Porsche, BMW, and AUDI continue to diminish, and Mercedes-Benz struggles to maintain a distant second place. Don't worry about it. Elon won't. That's why a Performance version of Model ☰ will be FASTER -- than anything available today -- that doesn't mean a 300+ KPH version of Model S won't be lapping Nürburgring at 7:30 or less by then, though.