Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condensation in rear lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, M3 RWD collected today - has larger D shaped brake lights and dual reverse lights. So condensation issue continues it seems.....

Thanks. Very interesting to see it's still a problem.

I guess Tesla simply refuse to accept it's a significant enough problem. I do still hold hope that once Tesla in Berlin has an engineering team that's fully integrated, they'll have more regional knowledge of the weather conditions in this part of the world.

I know Tesla say it's normal and because of the clear design (albeit that's an admission it's a design issue then!), it really doesn't give a good impression.

My car had the same issue when new, it was just embarrassing how bad it looked.

They can be fixed properly by glueing around the weld seam. There is a great video by a member on here (@Tevo Solutions I think) that details what’s involved.

I know it shouldn’t come to that, but as things stand the design of them is fundamentally flawed. Even just a small gap in the seam is enough to introduce condensation. Replacement lights can fail after a period of time. Tesla is obviously not inclined to fix them properly as the problem has never gone away across multiple years and revisions.

I haven’t done it yet on mine, but might do it in the summer as a preventative measure.

Reactions: Tevo Solutions
I guess Tesla simply refuse to accept it's a significant enough problem

I have always assumed Tesla have done a cost-benefit calculation and decided fixing any that people complain about is good-enough / cost-effective. I haven't bothered to get mine replaced ... too much hassle, unless they actually fail.

I think the same with panel-gaps and PDI. Save the cost of doing the check and remedial work and only bother to do that for those people who ask for something to be put right. Although I think they have opened themselves to punters being far more fastidious on checking, because of all the hearsay, than they might otherwise have been / for other marques, so maybe Tesla are having to do more remedial work than "PDI-every-car" would have cost. Who knows.

it was just embarrassing how bad it looked

I agree, however after 7 years Tesla ownership I've got used to it - and other elements like lousy service and sales communication

Take your mates for a ride, and put the light show on when you get then back to base. IME that will overcome any embarrassment you might have :cool:

I had mine replaced after a few weeks of picking the car up, the 4 at the back and the 2 front fog lights. I had the service request cancelled and had to jump through hoops, raise an official complaint (another story completely). Was told they will not replace them under warranty as all manufacturers are like that.

Anyway, long story short, they replaced mine as a goodwill gesture and so far haven't noticed the condensation come back.

for reference, I only have the one reversing light (another point of contention), collected in Dec.

The answer is persist
I had all 4 rear lights replaced recently. 1 year old. Police pulled me a pointed out that the lights were probably not legal so wet. They followed for some time and then pulled, very polite, no issue etc.
Tesla ranger initial reaction was that they were not wet enough to replace. I asked if Tesla would be willing to put that in writing to show and future traffic officer. Replaced.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
The answer is persist
I had all 4 rear lights replaced recently. 1 year old. Police pulled me a pointed out that the lights were probably not legal so wet. They followed for some time and then pulled, very polite, no issue etc.
Tesla ranger initial reaction was that they were not wet enough to replace. I asked if Tesla would be willing to put that in writing to show and future traffic officer. Replaced.
Well played.

Persistence pays off. If they think you’ll let them fob you off, they will.

Ridiculous that some people are having to disassemble and fix something so safety critical themselves because SC’s are fobbing them off.

I think it's correct that it's always reported to Tesla, it brings focus to the issue. They do like analysing data to decide what to do.

Unfortunately it's pure luck of the draw how good they are manufactured. It's unfortunate to hear the issue remains in the latest design.

It’s that time of the year:

746FB33F-986B-4724-963C-28BF24829727.jpeg

Service visit number 3 in six weeks. All warranty changes. I can’t wait until my warranty lapses 🙃

Very slight issue on my rear light so far, but I got huge condensation in B pillar cameras this morning. NoA and lane change were not working this morning due to that... Not a happy bunny..
A regular occurrence never to be solved until they put heaters with all the cameras (as well as a washing system to keep mud off and a solution to low sun). Welcome to FSD...