Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns about a Broken Red Wire in Tesla Harness - Safety and Vehicle Damage Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla community,

I'm reaching out with a concerning situation regarding my Tesla and seeking advice from those who might have dealt with similar issues or possess technical expertise.
Recently, A mechanic from mobility services (while installing a left foot accelerator for a disabled family member) discovered a broken red wire within the harness of my Tesla.

Surprisingly, I haven't received any warnings regarding this issue. However, when I contacted Tesla customer support, they mentioned a potential warning related to the trailer light (But they are not sure about this). Unfortunately, despite their assistance, the issue remains unresolved.

Per information from Tesla support, the problem could not be resolved through mobile services.

Due to my location and current circumstances, visiting a Tesla service center is not feasible for the next month or so, as it's a 220-mile trip. This raises a couple of critical concerns for me:
  1. Safety Issues: Could this broken red wire pose any safety hazards or risks while driving my Tesla? I'm concerned about potential issues related to vehicle performance, electrical systems, or anything that might jeopardize safety on the road.
  2. Potential Vehicle Damage: Are there risks of long-term damage to my Tesla due to this broken wire? I want to ensure that this issue doesn't lead to more significant problems or complications down the line.
I appreciate any insights, experiences, or advice that could help me understand the implications of this situation.
Thank you for your time and assistance. 🚗⚡

Last edited:
This will be difficult for anyone to determine what the wire is for, without seeing it and having a wiring diagram of the car. Unfortunately taking it to Tesla is probably the only option, unless you have a Tesla certified body shop in your area, they might be able to help.

This is still a huge issue owning a Tesla, not having enough service centers. Which is even more of an issue now due to the amount of Tesla's on the road. Just like Superchargers were a priority, service centers need to be top on the list.