Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So....another major issue. I have a USB drive with about 120GB of FLAC, AAC, and mp3s. Obviously, the new navigation system is a disaster for people with large collections. However, even worse, I discovered that my car rescans the drive everytime I restart the car. And that scan is dramatically slower than on 7.1 This means my music is not available for the first 15 minutes of each trip. That's just not acceptable.
I've not (yet) had the unnecessary rescan thing happen to me with only a few hours on 8.0, but it did happen to me upon occasion with 7.1, growing in frequency with time. Try rebooting the CID. Do the full version, not what I call the quick and dirty. Hold down the brake. While doing that, press both control wheels and hold until the Tesla T appears on the CID. You can then let your foot up from the brake. Don't skip or cheat on those steps. I found doing that dramatically reduced the amount of times I had the unnecessary rescan, once I had erased all my ancient Places History (to free up memory).

BTW, IMHO, physical size of one's USB library is almost irrelevant. What counts and consumes memory are the number of tracks, perhaps how long the actual track names are and your choices as to how deep and complex you make your USB directory structure to house those tracks -- all of which IMHO consume some amount of fixed memory on your MS, no matter how Tesla elects to map the USB structure to its menu system.

Most of these sort of issues just feel to me like memory constraints and software struggling to deal with it -- the reboot at least temporarily releases caches and frees up some memory. If that does not help, try reducing the number of tracks on your stick. None of us can possibly have a feel yet for how the new interface and use of imbedded Album Art plays into things. Good luck.

Last edited:
Where's the best place to write to Tesla to complain? I just used the owner feedback form on the main tesla.com contact page but I think that is often a black hole.
IIRC, the online forms also goes to the direct email: [email protected] which is where I'd normally suggest. I have always at least gotten a nice email reply that my concern is valuable and has been passed on to the appropriate people. ;)

I have also tried a written physical letter, registered, with signature upon receipt, to Tesla Service in Palo Alto, but never got a reply either. While some will shoot me on this forum for saying it, IMHO Tesla is still in the position making enough sales that they feel they know best, and Customer Service and more direct input isn't yet the priority it is for some of their competitors.

My whine for today: whenever the car reboots (after a SW update, for example) it forgets the song inventory for the USB stick. That would be fine if it immediately recreated the inventory after the boot. But it doesn't -- it waits until you want to play something on USB. I have 150GB of songs; it takes about 5 minutes to do the inventory.

My whine for today: whenever the car reboots (after a SW update, for example) it forgets the song inventory for the USB stick. That would be fine if it immediately recreated the inventory after the boot. But it doesn't -- it waits until you want to play something on USB. I have 150GB of songs; it takes about 5 minutes to do the inventory.
:D Ah, my 6100 track stick used to take 15-20 mins to scan with 6.2-7.1, and a I had the intermittent rescan at least a couple times a week. I have not been able to get the scan yet to complete with the same stick that worked on 7.1, in more than an hour with 8.0, so with interim tests image been doing this afternoon, tomorrow I'm reducing my tracks to somewhere south of 2000 I suspect just so the scan/rescan will function in a reasonable amount of time. That's my whine for this evening! I feel better now. Thx!

I have a 4 port USB harmonica attached to my S. Each port has a switch for on or off. I keep most off unless in use. However, just now I turned all of them on, one by one. 8.0 handles this well. It shows each USB drive label with the number of songs. With all on, I tried to play one song at a time from each and this worked. I did not keep these USB drives on for any length of time, and would not operate them that way as standard operating procedure.

Each USB is 32GB.

One drive has a few audio books on it. As a test I started playing chapter 1 and paused it. I hope it will be at that exact location tomorrow morning. In the past, the player would somehow and sometime after the pause begin playing again so you would loose your last location in the book. Hopes are high it will be in the same place tomorrow morning....

Last edited:
Reactions: supratachophobia

While it is irritating that it waits until you goto the usb screen to scan, I don't think the wait is entirely unbearable (your take on the situation is still valid of course). I tried to minimize this wait as much as possible by doing a Samsung evo850 250GB. I find this makes it just about as quick as possible and I have just over 200GB on 4 partitions.

I have a 4 port USB harmonica attached to my S. Each port has a switch for on or off. I keep most off unless in use. However, just now I turned all of them on, one by one. 8.0 handles this well. It shows each USB drive label with the number of songs. With all on, I tried to play one song at a time from each and this worked. I did not keep these USB drives on for any length of time, and would not operate them that way as standard operating procedure.

Each USB is 32GB.

One drive has a few audio books on it. As a test I started playing chapter 1 and paused it. I hope it will be at that exact location tomorrow morning. In the past, the player would somehow and sometime after the pause begin playing again so you would loose your last location in the book. Hopes are high it will be in the same place tomorrow morning....

THE SUSPENSE IS UNBEARABLE, report back as soon as you can please, seriously.

Interesting observations.

I remain of the opinion the challenges Tesla has to deal with in a fixed amount of memory available is not the number of devices or their capacity, but the numbers of things that actually consume memory... number of tracks, number of subdirectories one uses to house them on one or more USB devices, and as importantly, how comprehensive (i.e. How many unique characters) each of those tracks is tagged with title, album artist, genre, track artists, and now wth 8.0, imbedded album art, its size and perhaps number (e.g. How does Tesla deal with tracks that have multiple Album art that is possible in the MP3 specification?)

In my particular case, I've easily spent man months of effort over the years improving, but also physically increasing the size of most tracks because of more tagging detail, including more recently manually locating and placing 800x800 album covers and sometimes full scans of complete liner notes on most of my 28K+ music tracks. Space is cheap on a PC/Mac hardrive or even an SSD, or with what's ported to smartphone and players SSD these days, so I've never worried with it, especially having maintained copies of my whole library on iPod Classics in my former Lexus, MBZ, and BMW for so many years.

Today, with my first not even 12 hours using 8.0, my same USB stick of 6100 tracks that worked just fine and scanned in 15-20 mins with 7.1 this morning, is not close to completing in more than 2 hours, so I just went out and pulled it from the socket. I think it's likely because Tesla's new interface has (at last I hope!) reduced the amount of memory that can be used by USB media mapping, and perhaps is not scaling down album art that it's newly caching in this code drop to a max size it could ever display to save space -- but as we've seen before is instead just struggling instead of throwing up some "out of memory" error message that frankly I'd rather have than nothing.

IDK exactly what, but a different set of workarounds are in my future for sure. At a minimum tomorrow, I'll reduce the number of tracks to well less than 2K. Perhaps Tesla will include any constraints and maximums in the updated 8.0 Owners Manual when it becomes available like other mfgrs have done for years. That would at least assist some of us in this Problem Determination we're going through. Some owners think others of us are nuts asking for release notes, but these are the sort of things that would really improve some Owner's experience. Ah, such fun. Not! (I'd rather just drive my terrific MS, try out the new AP features, with my own great tunes playing in the background instead of going back into bit twiddler mode I spent a good portion of my career doing. ;)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Richg
Interesting observations.

I remain of the opinion the challenges Tesla has to deal with in a fixed amount of memory available is not the number of devices or their capacity, but the numbers of things that actually consume memory... number of tracks, number of subdirectories one uses to house them on one or more USB devices, and as importantly, how comprehensive (i.e. How many unique characters) each of those tracks is tagged with title, album artist, genre, track artists, and now wth 8.0, imbedded album art, its size and perhaps number (e.g. How does Tesla deal with tracks that have multiple Album art that is possible in the MP3 specification?)

In my particular case, I've easily spent man months of effort over the years improving, but also physically increasing the size of most tracks because of more tagging detail, including more recently manually locating and placing 800x800 album covers and sometimes full scans of complete liner notes on most of my 28K+ music tracks. Space is cheap on a PC/Mac hardrive or even an SSD, or with what's ported to smartphone and players SSD these days, so I've never worried with it, especially having maintained copies of my whole library on iPod Classics in my former Lexus, MBZ, and BMW for so many years.

Today, with my first not even 12 hours using 8.0, my same USB stick of 6100 tracks that worked just fine and scanned in 15-20 mins with 7.1 this morning, is not close to completing in more than 2 hours, so I just went out and pulled it from the socket. I think it's likely because Tesla's new interface has (at last I hope!) reduced the amount of memory that can be used by USB media mapping, and perhaps is not scaling down album art that it's newly caching in this code drop to a max size it could ever display to save space -- but as we've seen before is instead just struggling instead of throwing up some "out of memory" error message that frankly I'd rather have than nothing.

IDK exactly what, but a different set of workarounds are in my future for sure. At a minimum tomorrow, I'll reduce the number of tracks to well less than 2K. Perhaps Tesla will include any constraints and maximums in the updated 8.0 Owners Manual when it becomes available like other mfgrs have done for years. That would at least assist some of us in this Problem Determination we're going through. Some owners think others of us are nuts asking for release notes, but these are the sort of things that would really improve some Owner's experience. Ah, such fun. Not! (I'd rather just drive my terrific MS, try out the new AP features, with my own great tunes playing in the background instead of going back into bit twiddler mode I spent a good portion of my career doing. ;)).

Release notes would just be another way for Tesla to set owner expectations, in a good way.

However, the fact that your collection worked fine on v7.1, but then doesn't on v8 is irritating to me from an empathetic POV, but also because I am about to go out to the car to do the same thing and I'm scared for myself. I'll let you know what happens.

Reactions: BertL and Richg
:D Ah, my 6100 track stick used to take 15-20 mins to scan with 6.2-7.1, and a I had the intermittent rescan at least a couple times a week. I have not been able to get the scan yet to complete with the same stick that worked on 7.1, in more than an hour with 8.0, so with interim tests image been doing this afternoon, tomorrow I'm reducing my tracks to somewhere south of 2000 I suspect just so the scan/rescan will function in a reasonable amount of time. That's my whine for this evening! I feel better now. Thx!

OK, here is an update. Car is currently scanning two, no, now three volumes at the same time. The 4gb drive scanned immediately with 260 songs. Fwiw, spaces in the volume name are displayed as "\x20". It looks like there is some sort of scan prior to actually loading/building the file database. Now all four remaining are scanning. The volumes with the most music, took the longest to start the loading process, but they are all under way now. My gut feeling tells me that this process is slower on v8 than on v7, but I think it has to do with loading extended track info, like album art. Based on that, as a test, I'm wondering if Bertl could strip those 800x800 images out and see if scan speeds are faster/more successful.

We are now on the largest two folders. The 5gb and 16gb partitions are ready to go. Still left is the main music folder with 6k tracks weighing in at 55GB and the audio books partition which has close to 16k tracks weighing in at 100GB. From the beginning up to now, I'm 12 min in and 27%/15% respectively.

Update: 16 min in, 43%/24% respectively.

Update: thank you Tesla for the volume name reading AND the storage stats for the drive AND the number of tracks in each Album/Artist/Genre/Songs icon. I would have not thought to make a suggestion like it myself, but it's super useful.

Update: 20 min, 65%/37%

Update: 26min, 93/55%

Update: 30min, 1 volume left and at 65%

Tesla needs a "play all from here down" button on the folder traverse screens. Now as far as large lists, they have some type of infinite scroll turned on so you don't now how far along you are in your list. I like the interface so far, and it's so close to being where it needs to be. Please bring back the alphabet shortcuts.

Deepness of structure, so far, has not been a problem with 6-7 layers down.

Edit: super frustrating, if you try to scroll down a multi page list and you accidently chick into a folder you didn't want and then back out, it resets you to the top. I would say at this point, the scrolling feature is absolutely un-usable for shutting more than 100 items.

Edit: 38min, 89%

Last edit, I'm calling it at 45 min to scan 150GB. That's with sporadic but reasonably sized embedded album art (maybe 15-30%of collection using them) and normal tag field population, album/artist/track/year/genre.

Last edited:
Scrolling the "Albums" is horrendous! I can only scroll half-a-row before it'll lock-up for a few seconds and then I can scroll another half-row before it'll lock-up for another few seconds! I think it's loading all of the album art or something because scrolling artists or genre or anything else is smooth. After I finally get through the entire list, it'll scroll smoothly. But if I navigate to any other part of the media player and come back, it seems to get stuck again.

Each USB is 32GB.

Ok, here you go, went out to the car at 5:30AM and upon opening the door the center display showed the Nav above and Music below as I had left them.... sure enough, nothing was playing on the speakers and audio book (Sniper's Honor by Stephen Hunter) was still on chapter 1. When I hit the play it started right up. I will have to perform this test again for a longer period of time as this was only 7 hours or so.

I was wondering if in the past the Pause dropped off in 7.1 due to some sort of system reboot? Or is there a process that runs and causes the Sound app to play in 7.1? Anyhow, I will keep doing another test to make sure.

But for now, this is a good sign and a much longer test is needed for 8.0 to proclaim a small and important victory for Tesla audio book enthusiasts.

Just read through this thread and I don't see a huge problem with USB folders in 8.0. Sorry if this has been noted and I missed it.

The playlist order within folders is now gone. All songs within folders are now alphabetized. You can either play songs in alphabetical order or shuffle them. But you cannot play songs within a folder in the order you created them like you always could pre 8.0.

Most of the music I listen to in my Model S is on USB in FLAC file folders. From my perspective the Media Player in 8.0 is an unfortunate step backwards. Anyone know how I can alert the proper people at Tesla of this issue?

IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG
ever since I upgraded to 8.o, I'm experiencing unacceptable results from my USB that has been working flawlessly.

The bugs:

1). Most songs will not play when selected and the 'loading error' displayed. See pictures below.

2). If I'm lucky and find a song to play, it might play for 30 seconds, stop for a minute and then continue, only to repeat this over and over.

The USB has worked perfectly for over two years.

Steps taken:

1). Removed USB and allowed system to load again' same results.

2) rebooted system' same result.

Does anyone have the same issues?

Any solutions?

Thank you.

Just read through this thread and I don't see a huge problem with USB folders in 8.0. Sorry if this has been noted and I missed it.

The playlist order within folders is now gone. All songs within folders are now alphabetized. You can either play songs in alphabetical order or shuffle them. But you cannot play songs within a folder in the order you created them like you always could pre 8.0.

Most of the music I listen to in my Model S is on USB in FLAC file folders. From my perspective the Media Player in 8.0 is an unfortunate step backwards. Anyone know how I can alert the proper people at Tesla of this issue?

I just got 8.0 and haven't had a chance to test out the USB yet, but if it will play tracks in order, you could rename each file in a folder and add 01, 02, 03, 04, etc. to the front of the file name. If you don't want to do it by hand, there is a utility called TheRename that will rename all files in a selected set anyway you want, including adding bits to a filename like a sequential count.

Have you been able to confirm if others are having the same USB scanning issues as related to energy saving status?
No I haven't, but the extremely long scan times you and @BertL have reported sound like they are the same problem I've been having. Unfortunately, I declared success too soon, I guess I just got lucky the one time. Since then, I haven't been able to have my stick successfully scanned to completion and made available for playing regardless of energy-saving setting. :-( I'm imaging my USB stick right now, preparatory to flailing at it a bit. The fact that @BertL reports similar absurd scan times and also, if I recall correctly, reports having similar enormous, flat directories to mine, makes me think I should take my enormous, flat directories and turn them into lots of little subdirectories instead. It still feels to me like the scan algorithm went from being linear to quadratic or worse in the number of files in a subdirectory, although of course that's only a wild guess at this point.

No I haven't, but the extremely long scan times you and @BertL have reported sound like they are the same problem I've been having. Unfortunately, I declared success too soon, I guess I just got lucky the one time. Since then, I haven't been able to have my stick successfully scanned to completion and made available for playing regardless of energy-saving setting. :-( I'm imaging my USB stick right now, preparatory to flailing at it a bit. The fact that @BertL reports similar absurd scan times and also, if I recall correctly, reports having similar enormous, flat directories to mine, makes me think I should take my enormous, flat directories and turn them into lots of little subdirectories instead. It still feels to me like the scan algorithm went from being linear to quadratic or worse in the number of files in a subdirectory, although of course that's only a wild guess at this point.
Yes, I have all my tracks in a single directory. Did that quite a while ago when I found TeslaTunes, tossed-out using only the folder tab to access tracks, and was having so much problem with what I still believe was CID memory problems.

Anyway, my time twiddling with this is dwindling. Need to get going on prep today for a pre-planned road trip beginning very early tomorrow. Will get some quality time with the new Nav and AP. It's gonna take me a lot more time than I have today to figure out how to systematically split things into multiple directories, and create variations with perhaps no (or scaled-down) album art, and/or eliminated artist tags.

A note for people testing: You probably already know this, but be sure as you make changes to your USB stick you either reboot your CID just before reinserting it, or easier, just change the root directory folder name on your stick each time you make changes, so your MS will not use or combine with anything previously cached. 8.0 seems to be acting just like it's predecessors trying to save time upon a reinsert when possible, and can get a bit confused as it does not look at all the tag data for possible changes. It caused me a lot of frustration before I figured that out months ago, and now just rename my root directory every time I update the stick before taking it out to plug into my MS.​

FWIW, I built a stick last night with subset of my former 6100. 1100 tracks scanned in well less than 2 minutes, and operated just fine. Just back in from testing 1800 tracks (also in a flat directory), and it scanned in less than 3 minutes (WOW, love that speed with smaller numbers of tracks) and operates fine. That is my road trip version for the next few days. IMHO, this scan problem has got to be about a different kind of memory constraint or leakage problem than we had with 7.1. I do have my annual Service appointment on 10/4, so guess who is gonna have to redo his list of new firmware issues he had already built for his (poor) Advisor on 7.1 when he gets back? :)

Last edited:
Ok, here you go, went out to the car at 5:30AM and upon opening the door the center display showed the Nav above and Music below as I had left them.... sure enough, nothing was playing on the speakers and audio book (Sniper's Honor by Stephen Hunter) was still on chapter 1. When I hit the play it started right up. I will have to perform this test again for a longer period of time as this was only 7 hours or so.

I was wondering if in the past the Pause dropped off in 7.1 due to some sort of system reboot? Or is there a process that runs and causes the Sound app to play in 7.1? Anyhow, I will keep doing another test to make sure.

But for now, this is a good sign and a much longer test is needed for 8.0 to proclaim a small and important victory for Tesla audio book enthusiasts.
Correct, it did not continue on into my playist, but it also did not save the spot in the timeline.