Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather airport parking lot experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this is useful for you or maybe not.

Parked the 2020 Y (around 20K miles) at the Denver Airport for 10 days. Temps ranged from around 32F at dropoff, to -24 at one point, to 50, then back into the 30's.

63% battery on 12/18 when parked the car.
24 hours later, it read 53%. I contacted the range team via the app/service just to make sure we had no vampire drain.
Thursday, 12/22 - 50%. This was around the time it was -24 outside.
Sunday, 12/25 - 51%
Friday, 12/30 - 57%
Upon landing about 10 minutes ahead of getting to the car, turned on pre-warming and defrost
When I got in the car to drive away, was at 51%.

tl-dr - had no problems getting home in a warm car. The car definitely seemed to adjust the expected range based on weather, etc.

Reactions: gr2020
That all makes sense. I’m also in Denver and that temperature swing was insane. Battery capacity will decrease in cold, but it’s also possible your app was displaying the ‘usable‘ battery capacity - i.e., when it’s limited in snowflake mode.

I notice my MY sometimes uses 2-3% for standby after a drive, before it goes to sleep. Typically after not being driven for a day or two. Then loses 1-2% a week after that if left to sleep unplugged. That probably explains a lot of your net loss.