Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Peeking under Coda's hood

Interesting pictures posted on ABG under Coda sedan's hood.
img_1039-1280_thumbnail.jpg

1. Radiator visible upfront cools power-electronics. I find this layout a bit strange, since it's traditional, but air is drawn through radiator by cooling fans (presumably from below), not due to motion (as air intake is closed off). Wouldn't hot air be pushed onto said electronics directly behind the radiator then? It seems it would be better to arrange radiator horizontally above electronic modules (similar to CPU cooling) and push air out via some kind of hood scoop.
04STIreverseb.jpg

Would give the Coda a nice "performance" look as well.

2. Battery visible on the right is lead-acid kind and is used to power accessories.

3. 33.7kWh, 333V lithium-iron phosphate battery main traction battery is manufactured by Tianjin Lishen Battery. There was talk of forming a JV with Yardney Technical Products to produce batteries in the U.S., but that deal fell through due to JV not getting DOE grant money.

4. I presume due to competitive development, we have movement on the price front
Czinger told Scott that the sedan will likely sell for around $32,000 (after rebates), which is lower than the price announced in June of $45,000 (before incentives)

Compared to an ICE, EV is so much more efficient so that cooling needs are less.
They probably used the stock ICE ready radiator (to save costs), but it ends up being rather oversized for the cooling needs of the electronics... So it doesn't need much airflow to keep things in order.

There are some updated photos on Paul's blog: EVs and Energy: Coda Review

DSC_0791.jpg (image)

Odd, the "updated" photos look like more of a prototype than the ones on AutoBlogGreen.

For instance, the Optima Yellowtop 12V aux battery on Paul's blog compared to some smaller, generic, cheaper battery on ABG. Also some of the control electronics looks more production intent on ABG.

Compared to an ICE, EV is so much more efficient so that cooling needs are less.
They probably used the stock ICE ready radiator (to save costs), but it ends up being rather oversized for the cooling needs of the electronics... So it doesn't need much airflow to keep things in order.
That makes sense. The only problem I have is with hot air being blown back onto electronic modules that are being cooled. At the very least, I hope they add some air shrouds to route hot air away. Otherwise the design looks half-baked to me.

That makes sense. The only problem I have is with hot air being blown back onto electronic modules that are being cooled. At the very least, I hope they add some air shrouds to route hot air away. Otherwise the design looks half-baked to me.

Well I suppose it "works both ways". On a cold day having the radiator warm the air before blowing over the electronics will help keep them uniformly warm.
Given the limited amount of heat being generated, I think this system is more about uniform temperature distribution and overall thermal mass, and not so much about airflow. As you mentioned, the front grill cover blocks much of the airflow so there isn't so much air movement through that radiator.

Bland is right. The prime-postioned big red box around it was probably the only reason anyone came to look at it. (Even so, I talked with a Mini E driver at the end of the show who had totally missed it.)

BorgWarner's eGearDrive(TM) Transmission Named 2010 Automotive News PACE Award Finalist | Reuters

BorgWarner's
eGearDrive(TM) transmission has been named a finalist for the prestigious 2010
Automotive News PACE Awards, recognized around the world as the industry
symbol of innovation. First commercialized on the Tesla Roadster, the
technology has been developed for the emerging vehicle electrification market
and will also drive the all-electric CODA sedan, scheduled for introduction in
California in 2010.

prnphotos086761

Seems they redesigned the front end a bit. It looks... better.

coda.jpg

6 hot electric car start-ups - Coda Automotive (6) - CNNMoney.com
... The challenge for Coda is that, while their car steers clear of those high-priced competitors, it'll be driving right into the teeth of existing mainstream automakers like Ford, Nissan and General Motors. Those automakers, and others, will be coming out with similarly priced plug-in cars over the next couple of years.

Coda sees a window of opportunity, though, because it will be on the market earlier than some of those competitors. Also, it's operating a joint venture with its battery supplier, ensuring a good supply of that vital component.

The Coda's biggest downside could be the car's design. Electric auto fans just don't seem to be all that impressed by it, said Sebastian Blanco of Autobloggreen.com.

"Nobody I've talked to is really passionate about this car," he added.

Last edited:
..."Nobody I've talked to is really passionate about this car,"...http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/0911/gallery.electric_car_startups/6.html

I think the price tag (~$35K-$45K) seems excessive given the generic nature of the chassis/body and batteries. Why should it command such a premium? I would be a lot more passionate about it if the price was much lower.

I would be tempted to wait/compare to the upcoming Ford Focus EV and Nissan Leaf which come from much more well known manufacturers.

This car looks so .... generic.
The Coda website had links to various articles, including this one at Fast Company, which says:
"Curiously enough, one of Coda's strengths is five years of experience making shoddy electric vehicles in China. "
They have financial backing and connections via their ex-Goldman CEO, and have been securing suppliers in China.

Still, at $37,500 (after govt incentive), while it is 25% cheaper than the Model S target base price I think it looks like half the car.