Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close to pulling trigger on 2018 MX (not sold by Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Looks like prices are finally coming down for used Model X. For a 2018 75D Model X, I see some around the $65k mark. I am looking for a 6 seater, maybe 7 seater works. 6 seaters are harder to find and seem to command a higher price for some reason. I know that its not a Raven model but coming from an ICE, I probably won't notice the difference. A 6 seater Raven will set me back $93k on the website, which is $30k more than a two year old MX 75D. The one I see have vin ending a "F092XXX" not sure if that means anything compared to the ones that are "F1XXXXX"

When you buy from a non Tesla sold vehicle, does it mean that the previous owner cannot transfer the unlimited supercharging to me? That means I will have to pay when I go to super charger? I don't even know how this works because I am new to Tesla. Any other pros and cons? Vehicles I've seen around this $65k price range have around 20-30k miles. Is that too much for a two year old car?

If the car does not have a carpool sticker, since I am buying used, can I apply for one as the second owner?

Also, to find an electrician - what is generally the price range I can expect? Are there rebates in CA through Edison or rebates if I used a Tesla approved electrician?

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Last edited:
Previous owner has no control over Supercharging bene's once sold. So, no previous owner cannot transfer the FUSC to that car. There's no way for anyone here to answer your Supercharger question that you will get Free Supercharging. And no one can predict if you will get Supercharging after the purchase when you update ownership with Tesla.

How much does it cost to build a house? We can't predict what you would pay to install service. Its going to vary as much regarding distance, service requirement, ease of installation, trenching. Sorry for the sarcastic-like remark. Trying to make a point, could not think of a softer way.

You should also know. There was a significant process upgrade that occurred effective Mar '18. MCU2 has benefits that Jan-Feb '18 has MCU1. Fortunately you can pay for an upgrade to MCU2 if what you buy is MCU 1 X. Cost is $2500. Keep that in mind when you are thinking price.

To give you an example of cost to install the Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connnector. I pulled the Cable from the Breaker Box to where the Tesla Wall Connector will be located. The Gen 3 Wall Connector was $500 and the 6/2 with Ground MC Cable w/ Stranded Copper Conductors
bought from MC Cable | Wire & Cable Your Way was $1.90/ft. (I needed 100 ft.) for a US Made cable.

Because I did not have room in my Electrical Panel I paid a Tesla Certified Installer to upgrade my Electrical Panel $1,200, Install 2 new Ground Rods and make all final connections and I secured the Electrical Permil from the City $150. So, for my the total cost was $2,040. But if you have room in your Breaker Box and pull the wire yourself you could save a signifigant amount.

Reactions: UncaNed
Is there any way to tell if this 2018 model X has the MCU1 or MCU2?
Three that I know of. 1) look at the sticker on the driver side door opening for the build date. Usually in the corner mm/yy Date at 03/18 is MCU2. 2) go to teslatap.com/mcu in the car's browser. 3) Look on toolbar on bottom, look for entertainment, Bring up Tesla theater. Tesla theater is on MCU2 cars .

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Previous owner has no control over Supercharging bene's once sold. So, no previous owner cannot transfer the FUSC to that car. There's no way for anyone here to answer your Supercharger question that you will get Free Supercharging. And no one can predict if you will get Supercharging after the purchase when you update ownership with Tesla.

How much does it cost to build a house? We can't predict what you would pay to install service. Its going to vary as much regarding distance, service requirement, ease of installation, trenching. Sorry for the sarcastic-like remark. Trying to make a point, could not think of a softer way.

You should also know. There was a significant process upgrade that occurred effective Mar '18. MCU2 has benefits that Jan-Feb '18 has MCU1. Fortunately you can pay for an upgrade to MCU2 if what you buy is MCU 1 X. Cost is $2500. Keep that in mind when you are thinking price.
That statement is patently untrue.

Tesla sold many vehicles with FUSC that ARE transferable in private party sales.

I think I misunderstood what he said. "When you buy from a non Tesla sold vehicle". What I heard in my head was he was buying from a "non Tesla dealer" AND that's not what he said. I was hearing in my head that he was buying from a car dealer and he was about to become the third owner, not second owner.

I stand corrected. Thanks glide. And yes you are correct.

@irvineboy, so, I misread that correctly? Its a non Tesla dealer? You might not even be the 3rd. The dealer likely got it at auction. If Tesla turned it over/sold it to the auction, they are probably stripping FUSC from it before the dealer got it. No way to know, that I can see, until you change ownership at Tesla and see if it follows the car.

Is there any way to tell if this 2018 model X has the MCU1 or MCU2?
Three that I know of. 1) look at the sticker on the driver side door opening for the build date. Usually in the corner mm/yy Date at 03/18 is MCU2. 2) go to teslatap.com/mcu in the car's browser. 3) Look on toolbar on bottom, look for entertainment, Bring up Tesla theater. Tesla theater is on MCU2 cars .

There is a menu option in the car now.

"With the 2020.4.1 software update, Tesla has included a new “Additional Vehicle Information” screen, visible from the software menu on all Teslas. This includes a little snapshot of some of this previously hidden or hard-to-find information."

1) What Autopilot Hardware does your car have? It’s easy to tell now. | Current Automotive

2) Tesla AP, EAP, FSD, HW2, HW2.5 HW3, MCU1 and MCU2 feature differences

O03n9ka.jpg

Under “Additional vehicle information” under Autopilot Computer, it says “2.5 Computer”. So that means it’s hw 2.5 meaning it has the dashcam??

It also say Premium Connectivity: included package. Not really sure what this is but I thought it was free for the first year only? Then available for $9.99 per month afterwards. Since it’s a 2018, can I assume it’s over?

Last edited:
Not really sure what this...It also say Premium Connectivity: included package.
Google. Table here: Connectivity

Cost. Again quick google on that page.
Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?
All Model S, Model X, Model Y and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

I just googled that thanks. It says “All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.”. So it seems like between March 2018 and June 2018, you get the MCU2 and free premium connectivity for life. If you ordered July 2018 and on, you get MCU2 but you have to pay $10/month subscription for premium connectivity.

It says “Audio” is standard which I believe it means it’s not the high fidelity sound. Not sure if that’s a deal breaker or not.

Last edited:
I just googled that thanks. It says “All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.”. So it seems like between March 2018 and June 2018, you get the MCU2 and free premium connectivity for life. If you ordered July 2018 and on, you get MCU2 but you have to pay $10/month subscription for premium connectivity.

It says “Audio” is standard which I believe it means it’s not the high fidelity sound. Not sure if that’s a deal breaker or not.
That 'table here' link I provided above also define what it was/included which was a question you had.
9uMjWeW.jpg