Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Horrible news :(
Agree 100%. Luckily somebody understands the gravity of the Climate Change issue. I am following the behavior of the Global 365-day Temperature Deviation and I noticed that the increase is about 0.02°C per month. That is to say an increase of the Global Temperature Deviation at a rate of 0.24°C per year.

It means that, if in August when El Niño will be replaced by ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) neutral and maybe also La Niña this Anomaly of the Global Temperature Deviation will not stabilize, in 2 years we will get a Global 365-day Temperature Deviation of 2°C!

As I informed TMC, 2 days ago we were close to reach a Global 365-day Temperature Deviation of 1.6°C. I am sorry to inform you that today we have reached a Global 365-day Temperature Deviation of 1.6°C.
We have overtaken the threshold of 1.5°C set by the Agreement of Paris for the Global Temperature Deviation!

This is bad news. Please don't look up this post.

Actually we have un update. The Global 365-day Temperature Deviation is already slightly above 1.6°C.

Concern that the Great Barrier Reef may be suffering the most severe mass coral bleaching event on record has escalated after a conservation group released footage showing damage up to 18 metres below the surface.

Dr Selina Ward, a marine biologist and former academic director of the University of Queensland’s Heron Island Research Station, said it was the worst bleaching she had seen in 30 years working on the reef, and that some coral was starting to die.

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority last week said aerial surveys of more than 1,000 individual reefs revealed more than half were rated as having high or very high levels of bleaching, and a smaller number in the south – less than 10% of the total – had extreme bleaching. Only about a quarter were relatively unaffected.

It confirmed the 2,300-kilometre reef system was experiencing its fifth mass bleaching event in eight years. The authority said sea surface temperatures had been between 0.5C and 1.5C hotter than expected for this time of year.

The Australian Marine Conservation Society on Thursday released video and photos that it said showed bleaching on the southern part of the reef extended to greater depths than had been previously reported this year.

Ward said the impact of bleaching had been extensive across 16 sites that she visited in the reef’s southern section, affecting coral species that had usually been resistant to bleaching. Some coral had started to die, a process that usually takes weeks or months after bleaching occurs.

“I feel devastated,” she said. “I’ve been working on the reef since 1992 but this [event], I’m really struggling with.”

Ward said sea temperatures at two of the sites she visited were the same at the surface and 20 metres below the surface. This was “very unusual”, and reinforced the need for rapid action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, she said.

"What are we doing to stop the reef from being lost?” Ward said. “We cannot expect to save the Great Barrier Reef and be opening new fossil fuel developments. It’s time to act and there are no more excuses.”

Coral bleaching occurs when the coral becomes heat stressed and ejects the tiny marine algae, known as zooxanthellae, that live in its tissue and give most of its colour and energy. With the zooxanthellae gone, the coral starves and its bone-white calcium skeleton becomes visible.

If the elevated temperature doesn’t last long, the coral can recover. Otherwise, it starts to die. In the most severe cases, the bleaching is skipped and the coral dies almost immediately, usually turning a dirty brown.

Terry Hughes, an emeritus professor at James Cook University and longtime reef bleaching researcher, said the aerial surveys showed “the most widespread and most severe mass bleaching and mortality event ever recorded on the Great Barrier Reef”.

He said the scale of the damage was comparable to 2016, the worst previous year experienced, but there were now fewer individual reefs untouched by bleaching between southern Queensland and the Torres Strait. He said the area south of Townsville had been particularly badly hit this year.

"We’re already seeing extensive loss of corals at the time of peak bleaching,” he said. “It’s heartbreaking to see damage as severe as this as soon as this.”

Hughes said every part of the reef system had now bleached at least once since 1998. Some reefs had bleached three or four times. He said the cumulative damage made it harder for reefs to recover and more likely they would succumb.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in 2018 found that most tropical coral reefs would be lost if global heating was limited to an average of 1.5C above pre-industrial levels and 99% were likely to be lost of heating reached 2C. They found they would be at high risk at 1.2C, a level that may have already been reached.

Actually, as we know, Current 365-day Global Temperature Deviation is 1.59°C.

In this tweet the video of the interview with Dr. Selina Ward is reported where she worries about the Coral Reef.

"What are we doing to stop the reef from being lost? We cannot expect to save the Great Barrier Reef and be opening new fossil fuel developments. It’s time to act and there are no more excuses.”

Dr. Selina Ward
Marine biologist and former academic director of the University of Queensland’s Heron Island Research Station

I invite all TMC Members to watch the reported video of the interview to Dr. Selina Ward

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr

Actually we have un update. The Global 365-day Temperature Deviation is already slightly above 1.6°C.

According to Mr. Leon Simmons, after having overtaken the threshold of 1.5°C set by the Agreement of Paris for the Global Temperature Deviation and reached a value of 1.6°C for the Global 365-day Temperature Deviation, we will likely lose most coral reefs and some major coastal cities this century.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Luckily somebody understands the gravity of the Climate Change issue. I am following the behavior of the Global 365-day Temperature Deviation and I noticed that the increase is about 0.02°C per month. That is to say an increase of the Global Temperature Deviation at a rate of 0.24°C per year.

It means that, if in August when El Niño will be replaced by ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) neutral and maybe also La Niña this Anomaly of the Global Temperature Deviation will not stabilize, in 2 years we will get a Global 365-day Temperature Deviation of 2°C!
2°C!!! The results would be dramatic

As the global sea surface temperature set a new record high on Monday at 21.17C following months of above-average temperatures, scientists are raising the alarm about a potential fourth mass coral bleaching event.

Speaking with Reuters, the coordinator of the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Coral Reef Watch Derek Manzello said it was likely that the entire Southern Hemisphere would experience bleaching this year.

As ocean water heats up, swaths of once-technicolor coral reefs have begun turning white, putting ecosystems across the globe at risk.

Scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the International Coral Reef Initiative announced on Monday that the world is undergoing its fourth global coral bleaching event, marking the second such occurrence in the last decade. According to Derek Manzello, coordinator of NOAA’s Coral Reef Watch program, scientists have documented significant coral bleaching across every major ocean since early last year.

The current bleaching event, CAUSED BY LONG-LASTING HIGH OCEAN TEMPERATURES, has hit reefs in more than 53 countries and territories and 54 percent of all areas with reefs. Some places, such the Caribbean, Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, and large parts of the South Pacific, began documenting widespread bleaching in early 2023. Now, with recent reports from countries along the Indian Ocean and the South Atlantic confirming that none of the four major ocean basins have been left untouched, the event has been determined to be truly global, according to NOAA and the International Coral Reef Initiative.

In this video the Global Temperature Deviation (White Line) is compared to the Arctic Temperature Deviation (Red Line) from 1880 to 2020.
The Arctic is warming at a rate up to four times faster than the planet as a whole and has lost a third of its sea ice volume in just two decades.
In fact, as it can be seen in the video, in 2020 the Global Temperature Deviation was 1.02°C while the Arctic Temperature Deviation was 2.91°C.
Now that the Global 365-day Temperature Deviation is 1.6°C the situation is even worse of course.
This is the result of the ALBEDO FEEDBACK LOOP caused by the loss of sea ice volume.

I invite all TMC Members to watch the reported video.

Global Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs) are still higher in 2024 (Red line) than in 2023 (Yellow line).

If El Niño is weakening why in 2024 Global SSTs (Sea Surface Temperatures) are still higher than in 2023?

Wish to remind that Dr. Gavin Schmidt, Director of NASA GISS, fears that we are in UNCHARTED TERRITORY. But, as Dr. Gavin Schmidt said, let's wait August when El Niño will be replaced by ENSO neutral and maybe also La Niña to judge the situation of the Climate Change issue.

This post is worrisome. So please don't look it up.

TV anchor collapses in Calcutta, India.
Live on air due to extreme heatwave.

Orange Alert for heatwave.
Peak temperature in Calcutta this weekend feels like 47 °C.

Doordarshan news anchor Lopamudra Sinha shared a video on her Facebook profile and narrated how she fainted during a live news broadcast after her blood pressure dropped.

Lopamudra Sinha, a Doordarshan anchor—working with the West Bengal branch—posted a video on her Facebook profile showing how she fainted during a live news broadcast.

In the 14.42-minute video she posted, from 10.00 onwards, Sinha could be seen giving weather updates till the 45th second. As the video progresses, she can be seen back on camera, uncomfortable and slightly disoriented. She attempts to continue and manages to for a few more seconds, but her speech is slurred for the most part.

The video then shows footage being recorded from the camera’s monitor, and in it, Sinha could be seen unconscious on her chair and being attended to. In the rest of the video she posted, Sinha narrated what went down in the studio and gave an update on her health.

Sinha said she fainted because her blood pressure dropped suddenly. “I had been feeling unwell for some time, and I thought drinking water would help. Normally, I never have water with me while reading the news, whether it’s a 10-minute segment or half an hour; I just don’t need it,” she said in Bengali, in the video.

“However, on that particular day, I gestured to the floor manager for a bottle of water, but no sound bytes were running at that moment as a general story was being covered. Unfortunately, this meant I couldn’t get the water I needed until a sound byte finally played. But, by then, it was too late and I fainted,” she said in the video.

Sinha also shared that she had hoped to finish the remaining four news stories, but only managed to complete two. “As I started reading the third story about the heatwave, I began feeling increasingly unwell. Despite trying to push through and hold myself together, I couldn’t continue. During that story, my condition worsened to the point where I couldn’t see anymore. The teleprompter dimmed, and I lost consciousness,” she added.

She further asked her viewers to stay away from heat as temperatures are soaring in West Bengal. She also requested them to plant more trees and follow a summer-friendly diet.

Meanwhile, the India Meteorological Department on April 20 issued a RED ALERT FOR HEATWAVE for several districts of West Bengal, including Bankura, West Midnapore, Jhargram, Birbhum and East Midnapore. Whereas, the Orange (Prepare) alert has been issued for other South Bengal districts, including Howrah, Hooghly, Purulia, North 24 Parganas, South 24 Parganas, East Burdwan, Murshidabad, Nadia, and Kolkata.

Last edited:

She wants to bring back the forest that was here before it was razed to make room for cattle. Ríos is Cabécar, one of the Indigenous peoples in Costa Rica fighting to reclaim land taken by ranchers who cleared forests to feed the world’s skyrocketing hunger for beef.

A growing body of research shows that forests are often healthier in Indigenous hands. In the Amazon, areas where Indigenous groups have secure land tenureship have shown lower rates of deforestation and higher rates of regrowth where forests have been razed.

In Nepal, forest cover nearly doubled between 1992 and 2016, thanks in large part to a plan to put local groups in charge of managing land within previously nationalized forests. It strengthened mutually beneficial relationships between forests and communities. People took care of the forest because they also relied on it for food or other resources like medicines and firewood. And they were more likely to use those resources sustainably when they were also responsible for conserving them.

• Informative
Reactions: Raffy.Roma

Hail storm in South Carolina.

I invite all TMC Members to watch the reported video.

"The climate system is an angry beast and we are poking it with sticks"
Wally Broecker
Wallace "Wally" Smith Broecker (November 29, 1931 – February 18, 2019) was an American geochemist. He was the Newberry Professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University, a scientist at Columbia's Lamont–Doherty Earth Observatory and a sustainability fellow at Arizona State University.[1] He developed the idea of a global "conveyor belt" linking the circulation of the global ocean and made major contributions to the science of the carbon cycle and the use of chemical tracers and isotope dating in oceanography. Broecker popularized the term "GLOBAL WARMING". He received the Crafoord Prize and the Vetlesen Prize.