Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it comes to the environment, I think way too much resources are spent on dealing with carbon dioxide. Would our tax dollars be better spent on cleaning the emissions of coal burning plants worldwide? Deal with the real pollutants like all of the unfiltered ash that gets spewed into the air from China and South Asia. Old ICE vehicles that don’t completely burn gasoline and diesel spew a lot of pollutants as well. Maybe if we focus on getting those vehicles off the road instead of eliminating all ICE vehicles would be a more efficient use of our tax dollars. I think ICE will be gone within a few generations. But in the meantime, I think it would be more practical to focus on the ICE vehicles that are spewing smoke out of their tailpipes.
From a quantitative perspective for total cost one has to consider GHG production during the entire value chain from the perspective of climate not carbon neutrality. I don't know the answer to that--however if we put the environment into the total cost of ownership I have my reservations.

Well, I’m trying not to overthink it too much. I read somewhere a few years back that 13% of automobiles were causing 87% of the pollution. I believe it would be a common sense short-term solution to go after that 13% instead of telling everybody who owns an ICE vehicle to junk it now and buy EV. The public will revolt against that, and set the clean environment movement back. I’ll write my Congressman and see what he says.

• Disagree
Reactions: winfield100
Well, I’m trying not to overthink it too much. I read somewhere a few years back that 13% of automobiles were causing 87% of the pollution. I believe it would be a common sense short-term solution to go after that 13% instead of telling everybody who owns an ICE vehicle to junk it now and buy EV. The public will revolt against that, and set the clean environment movement back. I’ll write my Congressman and see what he says.
That's a good start, but diesel's are among the worse.

You have to consider this matter from the point of view of oil used for the whole transportation. In the USA transportation uses 60% of oil. Consider how much oil would be saved (and not burned!) if the whole transportation would be electrified!

Our climate change turning point is right here, right now | Rebecca Solnit

Human beings crave clarity, immediacy, landmark events. We seek turning points, because our minds are good at recognizing the specific – this time, this place, this sudden event, this tangible change. This is why we were never very good, most of us, at comprehending climate change in the first place. The climate was an overarching, underlying condition of our lives and planet, and the change was incremental and intricate and hard to recognize if you weren’t keeping track of this species or that temperature record. Climate catastrophe is a slow shattering of the stable patterns that governed the weather, the seasons, the species and migrations, all the beautifully orchestrated systems of the holocene era we exited when we manufactured the anthropocene through a couple of centuries of increasingly wanton greenhouse gas emissions and forest destruction.

Summarizing the leaked contents of a forthcoming IPCC report, the Agence France-Presse reports: “Climate change will fundamentally reshape life on Earth in the coming decades, even if humans can tame planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions […] Species extinction, more widespread disease, unliveable heat, ecosystem collapse, cities menaced by rising seas – these and other devastating climate impacts are accelerating and bound to become painfully obvious before a child born today turns 30. The choices societies make now will determine whether our species thrives or simply survives as the 21st century unfolds…” The phrase “the choices societies make” is a clear demand for a turning point, a turning away from fossil fuel and toward protection of the ecosystems that protect us.

Your Congressman says what the fossil fuel industry tells him to say.

You have to consider this matter from the point of view of oil used for the whole transportation. In the USA transportation uses 60% of oil. Consider how much oil would be saved (and not burned!) if the whole transportation would be electrified!
OK, fine. Now convince millions of Americans driving ICE of that. Vilifying them all will not get you the results you want. Transitioning from ICE to BEV has to be done smartly. Vilifying the oil industry gets you nowhere as well. They know that electric power has to be generated to fuel BEVs and natural gas will be major component of that power.

OK, fine. Now convince millions of Americans driving ICE of that. Vilifying them all will not get you the results you want. Transitioning from ICE to BEV has to be done smartly. Vilifying the oil industry gets you nowhere as well. They know that electric power has to be generated to fuel BEVs and natural gas will be major component of that power.
No no no I don't want to vilify anybody. YOU have very low consideration of American people!
On the contrary most American people want their electric cars be charged with renewables!
YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG!

Wind and Solar has a loooong way to go. Check out energy consumption worldwide. This is why banging the gong to get people off fossil fuels will go nowhere. But cleaning our emissions in the meantime is a more practical way of helping the environment. Does that make sense?

We're not talking about vilifying people. We're talking about incentives.
In addition to the inherent incentives of EVs (lower operating cost, less maintenance, emission free, etc.) subsidies (tax credits, rebates, etc.) would accelerate adoption of EVs.

Wind and Solar has a loooong way to go. Check out energy consumption worldwide. This is why banging the gong to get people off fossil fuels will go nowhere. But cleaning our emissions in the meantime is a more practical way of helping the environment. Does that make sense?

Moving people to EVs through incentives is working to clean emissions.
You can't clean up an ICE car. Some are worse than others but they all are dirty and waste 60% of their fuel. Getting rid of ICE cars is a big win.

Shouldn't quoting wattsupwiththat.com have this moved to the climate denial thread?

Renewables are rising exponentially and coal is falling.

chart2.svg

The three cheapest types of power are wind, solar, and natural gas with the renewables starting to be cheaper than gas. Market forces are making other fossil fuels non-competitive.
1920px-20201019_Levelized_Cost_of_Energy_%28LCOE%2C_Lazard%29_-_renewable_energy.svg.png

It came from a comprehensive BP report. You do know the oil industry has an interest in developing renewables, do you not? Worldwide, renewables has a long way to go.

Reactions: dhrivnak
It isn’t a “bad” report. It said that renewables grew to 11.7% worldwide for electricity production last year while fossil fuels shrank some. But we still have a very long ways to go to get off fossil fuels. You are not going to stop fossil fuels on a dime. I just think the smartest thing to do for our environment is to channel funds towards cleaning emissions worldwide instead of being so fixated on carbon dioxide. Make sense?

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
Does that make sense?
No because there is no way to meaningfully "clean up" fossil fuels.

I just think the smartest thing to do for our environment is to channel funds towards cleaning emissions worldwide instead of being so fixated on carbon dioxide. Make sense?
No, and it's already been explained why, but you don't seem interested in hearing it.