Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome window trim permanent stains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I have a model 3 long range late 2019.
As you can see in the pictures I have these nasty stains that can not be removed.

Any help?
Regards

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpeg
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2068.jpeg
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 10
thank you Bob, Ill give it a try!
Try spraying WD-40 onto a clean paper towel and wiping the stains away. That worked wonders for my black trim similar stains.
Once the stains are gone use Optum no rinse car wash to wash the car but rinse normally as with any other car shampoo.
Finish with Cerakote quick ceramic treatment. That’s available on Amazon and is fantastic for shining the entire car.

Upvote 0
Try spraying WD-40 onto a clean paper towel and wiping the stains away. That worked wonders for my black trim similar stains.
Once the stains are gone use Optum no rinse car wash to wash the car but rinse normally as with any other car shampoo.
Finish with Cerakote quick ceramic treatment. That’s available on Amazon and is fantastic for shining the entire car.
Morning! thank for the advice.

unfortunately I've already tried the WD-40, just to find out that it only 'masks' the damage done by hash chemicals (previous owner). It masked for about a week or less, then came back again. I think the way it works is by letting the light reflect evenly due to the oily substance, but as the oil leaves the light starts reflecting in the way the damage was done as stains, showing them again...

regards

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi!
I have a model 3 long range late 2019.
As you can see in the pictures I have these nasty stains that can not be removed.

Any help?
Regards
I had similar stains on my Audi Cabriolet windshield pillars, which were brushed aluminum. I used a light polishing compound with an orbital polisher to remove. You can do this by hand, too, but it takes a bit of elbow grease.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem on my 2019 model 3. Tried polishing with a machine but it did not work, even with heavy cut polish. I think there might be a clear coat on the trim, and there is some sort of chemical reaction under it. Ended up with chrome delete :)

Upvote 0
Morning! thank for the advice.

unfortunately I've already tried the WD-40, just to find out that it only 'masks' the damage done by hash chemicals (previous owner). It masked for about a week or less, then came back again. I think the way it works is by letting the light reflect evenly due to the oily substance, but as the oil leaves the light starts reflecting in the way the damage was done as stains, showing them again...

regards
Did you try the entire regimen? After masking it with WD, apply Cerakote quick ceramic. It worked 100% on my black trim. Very likely it will work on chrome too.

Upvote 0
Almost looks like hard water spots. Automotive water spot remover or a polish maybe? Clay bar?
That’s an idea. I favor the least abrasive methods first. If WD and Cerakote won’t do it, a little bit of ceramic cooktop cleaner should remove the spots. Always take preventative steps such as Cerakote or a good wax after.
Just let the cleaner stay on the trim for a minute or so for the mild acid to dissolve the spots.

Upvote 0
Sorry you are dealing with this issue. I have seen several posts about the same or similar issue over the years on TMC. I think the stains and discoloration is due to the car previously being washed with a high pH soap. Because it is harder to clean a car without actually making contact with the paint, many touchless car washes use high pH soaps to compensate. High pH soaps clean better and more aggressively than pH neutral soaps. But because they are more aggressive, high pH soaps can also do things like strip car waxes and discolor some chrome or aluminum pieces.

I don't know how to fix such discoloration. Maybe you can ask a professional car detailer or check with a body shop for recommendations. If you end up replacing the chrome pieces and want to prevent the same problem from reoccurring, I would suggest you wash the car yourself with a pH neutral car shampoo or check with the car wash you use and make sure they do not use a soap with a pH above 12. Or you could apply a ceramic coating to the chrome pieces, which would likely provide chemical resistance to the effects of a high pH soap.

BTW, this is a quote from a Model Y owner's manual:

"Some touchless car washes use caustic solutions that, over time, can cause discoloration of decorative exterior trim. Avoid exposure to soaps and chemicals above pH 13. If unsure, check the product label or ask the staff at the car wash. Damage caused by improper washing is not covered by the warranty."

Here is an example of a previous post about the same issue. High pH soaps at touchless car washes is mentioned as a cause of this problem:

Good luck,
Joe

Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
This kit is available in the UK, I had some success with it. You can have mine as I won't use it anymore, just DM me if you're interested.
My main affected areas are the rear triangle window, it's made from a different stamped metal apparently. This product cleared it from one side but not from the other, it remains permanently cloudy.
In the end I've gone for a fun colour wrap on the trim.
Also don't think it's just Tesla suffering this issue, many high end cars have the same.

Upvote 0