Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging on 43kW public type 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old cars had single or dual chargers supporting max 16A or 32A respectively when used with three-phase; this was nominally 11kW or 22kW but the limitation was purely on current and the actual power varies with voltage - I have seen 250V at an Ecotricity unit, which will give 24kW (250 * 32 * 3).

Facelift cars are limited to either 24A (or 16A software limit if you didn't by the high amperage upgrade when it was optional), so 11kW/16.5kW nominally. The software limit seems to be only on the current, so you can see 12kW on the 'base' cars if the voltage is high; however, I believe this design of charger also has an overall power constraint so you can't get much above the 16.5kW even if the voltage is high.

But the bottom line is that charging a Model S/X with AC at an Ecotricity site isn't sensible except in case of emergency - it's expensive (Ecotricity is charging £3 per 45mins for rental of the charger, in addition to the 17p/kWh for the energy, so if only drawing 16.5kW you are paying in effect over 40p/kWh), and it's also too slow for practical purposes at motorway service areas - your 45 minute session only gets you 12kWh, or about 36 miles.

If you expect to charge regularly at Ecotricity, buy the CHAdeMO adapter - it will charge more than twice as fast.

I found someone who reported he had had his 24A limit upped to 32A but this was a few years ago and may have been on a different charger.

I have had 3 phase 32A installed at home and so was disappointed at first use yesterday to find I was limited to 24A.

Has anyone been able to get 22KW charging at home?

I can confirm my 2017 75D charges at 18kw and 24A using onboard charger. Approx 50 miles/ hour.
Even though external charger is capable of 43kw
Where I charge there are 2 units with 2 outlets each.if I use the Ac connector a leaf can also charge beside me with a chademo.however if I had a chademo convertor the leaf would be unable to charge.so for harmony I just use the slow 18kw and another car like a leaf can charge up next to me as it's a busy charging station most times.

Last edited:
Only pre facelift cars can charge at 22kw as the onboard chargers were different back then, and it was a cost option as it was actually 2x 11kw chargers in the car. All facelift cars and MX have a single 17/18 kw (24a on 3 phase). charger which is software locked at 11kw on some models but can be unlocked for a fee

• Informative
Reactions: MrAliG
annoying that the majority charge on time not energy

I think this was because Outlanders parked up and charged and took a long time for very few kWh (when the change came from Free to Chargeable). Same, I suppose, if you want to charge a Tesla to 100% - disincentive to hog the spot for long periods of time "topping off". But, yeah, its a bit odd compared to filling an ICE!

Unlike Supercharger a CHAdeMO charges fastest with battery more-full than more-empty - so better to charge sooner in journey than later, if at a pay-for-time pump.

I have a new model s and it charges at 18kW on a type 2 AC charger. Bit annoying that the majority charge on time not energy.

That’s changing, most I can think of charge a connection fee and kWh fee, a mix of both is good. Ecotricity do, polar can I think, CYC can. A small connection fee puts off some of the phevs, the kWh fee is fair as it recovers appropriate costs. I can’t think of any that charge purely on time now, at least not where I drive.