Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging doesn't start after being plugged in after last update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only started having this issue after the last update. Last night I got home with 52%, plugged it in like usual, it "clicked" as usual and this morning it's still at 52%. It will be plugged in and not actually start charging, I've noticed a couple times that if I turn the climate on it will just drain the battery but not actually charge too even though it's plugged in. It feels like there is a scheduled charging bug, I tried that when i first got it but it's off now but this charging bug is frustrating. I just manually started charging and it's working fine..any thoughts?

Focus your troubleshooting on scheduled charging. The behavior you describe (clicking, but not charging) is what happens when you plug in a tesla wall connector / adapter and it communicates with the car but doesnt start charging because no charging is scheduled.

Do you have ANY third party apps (teslafi, stats, etc). If so, many of these apps have the ability to set features in the car (like scheduled charging). If no third party apps, make sure that scheduled charging feature is off in the car.

When you say "I just manually started charging" what does that mean, exactly? HOW are you "manually starting charging"?

In addition to @jjrandorin's suggestions, what type of EVSE are you using? Is this a Tesla Mobile Connector, Tesla Wall Connector, or a third-party J1772 EVSE? Whatever the answer, you may want to try charging on something else -- pull the Mobile Connector out and charge on it (even if it's 120v) if the failure was with a Wall Connector, drive to a local public J1772 station to try it, and even try a Supercharger if there's one close enough to not cause a serious drain on the battery. These troubleshooting steps will help you isolate the problem with certainty. I know you said the problem began with the latest software update, but coincidental correlations do happen sometimes -- it could be your normal EVSE just happened to fail at more-or-less the same time as the software update. (My own car gets an update about once every 14 days, so if that's typical, statistically, any given failing EVSE has a 1 in 14 chance of failing on the same day as a software update delivered to the car it serves.)